Moving to Calabria

So many questions, here goes.

1.  I have dual citizen, presently living in the U.S., my idendita card gives residency of U.S., but also the village in Calabria where my grandfather came from.  I Aldo have purchased a house in a nearby village.  Do I need a permesso/visa?

2. I'm retired military and receive social security, do I stop my Medicare payments, since I will be moving yo Italy full time?

3. I know I will need to get a local Doctor, and to purchase medical insurance? Any leads on a hood insurance program offered through Italy?

4. Drivers license, mine is good for 4 years, I am not fluent enough to obtain an Italian license, is there a company in the aU.S. that does online International license for more than one year?

That's enough questions for now.  Thanks for your input and assistance

Do not know much about since I just got here in
Italy, but as soon I have arrived I got my carta de identità, tessera sanitaria (did not buy an insurance), choose my local doctor, etc. I already had my Italian passport when i came. If you already have your Italian citizenship you can get all of these as soon you arrive, but first you'll need to register in the comune so they know you are living there, they'll send the polizia municipale to Check that you are living there. Driver license is only valid for a year, then you'll have to get your driver license from here.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to look into a drivers license somehow. I've heard there are other ways of obtaining one, maybe an oral examination like they do here in the U.S. when did you arrive, from where, to where? Are you on retirement, and if so, did the government need proof of funds to live there?  Did you already have a home, rent, buy etc?

I came from Tampa, Florida in December to Piombino , Tuscany. I'm not retired. I'm just building a new life here with my two kids. I actually rent. I am not sure if they have an oral examination, I haven't figure it out because I don't have car yet, so I'm going to wait a little bit.

Drivers license is not a big deal , if you mind your own business the cops hardly ever stop you and even if they do , if they see that you have a foreign drivers license they might just let it go. Check on the internet the conversion rules . Search " conversione latente guida usa italia" , and you might have an answer.

I can answer one. DON'T give up your medicare. You cannot be forced to give it up as you earned it. Even if you don't use it, keep it. Same with social security. It is yours.

You will be required to pay income tax in Italy if you live all year round or are a citizen or have a resident visa. It is pretty steep...about 23% a year regardless of how large or nice your place is.

This may be a silly question but I qualify for dual citizenship so if I get it am I required to pay Italian taxes??  I would love to move to Italy next year so I'm just now looking into it.

I just moved here with my wife, who is not an Italian citizen while I am.
In regards to some of your questions:
1)No. You don't need a visa as you are an Italian citizen. I am assuming you have a carta d'indetita or a passport already. You will need to register with the ufficio Anagrafe in the town where you will be residing
2) Re. the medicare, I suggest keeping it in case you return to the States although you don't have coverage here . If you cancel and return to reside in the states , you will need to pay an hefty amount to be reinstated. Also, as an ex military person you may have access to the US military and doctors there if you have medicare. Private medical  insurance , I suggest to decide here upon getting quotes from different agents.
3) Driver's license, your US license is only good for 12 months after obtaining residence. Then or before , you will need to take a comprehensive  written test , which is only offered in Italian and attend a driving school before taking the driving portion of the test. There are not conversions from a US to an Italian driving license currently . One more thing, you will be treated as a newbie driver which means you can only drive a car with a limited engine size and not to exceed 90 km for a year. That is a pain in you know  what. And , I don't suggest listening  to what someone in a previous post said that if you are a good driver you will not be stopped. There are stops by the carabinieri all of the times and the ticket is a very hefty if they found you should had an Italian driver's license.
4) Taxes. You said that you have property in a small village in Calabria (BTW, where? I am a native Calabrese) . If that is the case and if the number of habitants are less than 20K , your tax rate for 5 years (possibly 10years you will need to check) as a pensioner will only be 7%.

Buona fortuna and let me know where in Calabria will be. I have relocated in the northern/western  part of Italy in the province of Cuneo due to various personal reasons.
A presto

So many issues. Maybe I should only stay 11 months, be gone for 2-3 weeks then return? My village is Petrizzi.

Yes, if you live year-round in Italy, you will be subject to paying taxes. For us as non-citizens, we were told it would be 23%. It doesn't matter the value of your home or the size! So we plan to stay 3 months at a time, leave the EU for 3 months and return for 3 months etc... If you have duel citizenship, I think you would only be subject to paying what a citizen there pays, which is about 7%-9%  but you need to ask a tax expert or lawyer.

What luluapollini said. All pretty accurate.

90 KM for one year? Can you explain?

You can not exceed 90km per hr on the stratale

Petrizzi is on the other side of Calabria but not far from Pizzo. I hear Soverato is a beautiful beach town. My cousins reside south of your location in Locri/Siderno
Unfortunately ,  spending  only 11 months  per year will not work. If you reside in Italy in excess of 183 days you are considered  an Italian resident consequently you will be face Italian taxes. But, you will enjoy the tax incentive of 7% as I  believe Petrizzi's population doesn't exceed 20k.
Drop me a note when in Italy. I plan to visit my home town in the spring and fall. Summer is too busy.
A presto.

I am curious. When looking for a house in Southern Italy, I was told by an agent that Calabria and Sicily was  very lovely but he didn't recommend living there as infrastructure was poor and the regions were "behind" about 25 years compared with the rest of Italy. Is there that large of a difference living in Calabria compared with, let's say, in Abruzzo or Salento region? Thanks for your input.

Here is the thought from one who was born and lived till 14  in a small seafront town in Calabria. The southern regions (south of Rome) and islands are gorgeous and one day when I will not longer be active and as long as their medical care improves. Leaving there is cheaper particularly in view of the tax incentive, people are friendlier and food is awesome. As I visited Abruzzo on many occasions, I didn't see too much difference in the living conditions of  Calabria.( I have not really been to Puglia). Regardless of where you will be in Italy, food and wine should not  factors in your decision making since there are incredible throughout. However, I  tend to agree with your agent and, hence, why I decided on Piemonte to reside. My decision was based on the fact of having more possibilities to enjoy my activities such skiing. Public transportation was also important although I am now considering  purchasing a car to explore or in cases when there aren't any or the times of the buses  are off. Medical care is better from what I hear and know from my family living in the south. Here my suggestions if you are not in Italy yet. Rent an apartment  in one area of interest for a month  and in another area for another month and try to include an area in the northern part. Go off seasons when rents are lower. Then, you can make a decision on your own.

Hey there, not sure why I was unable to see your reply  post.  I will contact you as soon as I get settled. I'll be purchasing a round trip ticket, but leave it open ended.  I'm not fluent enough to take the driving written test, but do figure there are ways around that.   I may just stay so many days, then leave and return before the 183 days.  What can and cannot be shipped as for household items,  cereal, spices, gravy mixes, etc

Sorry about your inability to see my reply. Anyhow, yes contact me upon settled. If you are not going to stay more than 183 days why the open ended air. In regards to the written driving test , you have a year after establishing residency during which time you can use your US driving license. So, you have a year to take the written and on road driving tests. If you are planning to only stay less than 183 days , I don't believe you will be considered having established residency. In regards to what to ship, food was not ever on my list. Food was one of the reason for moving here. Here, you will find most if not all of the spices, Kellogg's brand is widely distributed. One food item hard to find is peanut butter. Some of the items I wish I had brought more ( I had to dump them as my suitcases were over the weight limit and the charge for overweight bags was excessive ) were vitamins. Some electronics are expensive but keep in mind the difference in voltage . My wife and I mainly brought ( each of us had 2 bags each plus carryon plus we shipped prior to leaving 6 large boxes of just 60lbs each) personal items such as clothing and shoes, sport items, some of my AllClad pans and some other kitchen items as cooking is one of my passion. I am not sure I would suggest shipping furniture unless is extremely valuable and sentimental; no cars as there are too many issue in registering them here. Hopefully, this helps

Good morning, thanks for the quick response.  Peanut butter, a delicacy there in italy.  Because I am retired military I have access to the military exchange, commissaries, I have used in the past, and intend to use again. Sigonella is 3.5 hours from Petrizzi, and Naples is 4.5 hours.
Furniture, some of it is antique sentimental value, 1840 bedroom set, grandfather clock I purchased in Italy in 1979, end tables, china cabinet, Corning ware, farberware, pots pans, cutlery.

Open ended ticket, maybe just schedule out 4 months, then extend it. 

To sell the items here, I'd get pennies on the dollar, then have to repurchase again in Italy.

You are in Piemonte? Lombardia?   Should I cancel my Medicare since I have teicare for life, and VA health care being retired with disabilities.

Medicines, or vitamins, ?

Ciao,
I live in Piemonte.
In regards to bringing over your furnishing , I agree with you that you would get pennies if sold in the US  but I suggest to consider the cost of transport. We sold all of our furnishings (even an Italian solid brass bed that I had paid over $5000 with a $1000 mattress) for less than pennies  before we left and purchased everything here. Do I regret it, of course but the cost of transport and the shipping time were too much.
In regards to medicare , I can only tell you that I am keeping mine. 
N