Shopee or Lazada?

With the lock down and both my Wife & I are seniors, so we have not been out of the house since mid March.

I'm doing a lot more shopping online especially Shopee & Lazada.  Just my recent experience over the last week.

I ordered 5 things on Lazada from 5 different suppliers. Two arrived timely, I'm still waiting for three things now beyond the due date.

Two days later I ordered 4 things on Shopee from different suppliers, all arrived timely, some even before  due date. 

Living in the Manila Metro I chose suppliers from Manila hoping for faster delivery and cash on delivery.

When I arrive in the Fil both my wife & I had cataract surgery, for close up work at the computer we need reading glasses (+2.25) I went to EO (Executive Optical) one pair of glasses 500 php, which sounded reasonable at the time. One drop on the floor and the lenses fell out. Bought a second pair shortly afterwards the hinges broke, so now I bought a bunch on line about 80 php each. Why break expensive glasses when you can break cheap ones too.

Other items I ordered Bush's Baked Beans and Spam (none at S&R or Robinsons).

We have been ordering Seafood Cup of Noodles (6 at a time) at S&R then when I looked at the receipt it was a whopping 150 php each !  !  !  !

Hi all

This is a no brainer! SHOPEE!!
Lazada has a nasty habit of sending wrong product! They want you to accept delivery and then you can return that way you get stung with the cost. I refused to accept wrong product and that started world war 3! But in the end they left with wrong product! More then an hour arguing and 5 different people on phone! Be aware!
Shopee always on time unless out of stock which has never happened to me!

Have ordered fm both Lazada/Shoppe...have had good & bad experiences with both...but I personally find lower delivery charges /more free shipping options on the Shoppe platform!

Used Lazada myself a lot in the past couple years, moved to SHOPEE a few months ago.

over 40+ orders from Lazada, less than 10 on SHOPEE.

I find prices a tad cheaper on SHOPEE vs Lazada

Lazada is great when item are delivered as purchased, I have yet to receive wrong item but I have received damage item. Customer support is non-existent, returning items is too much of  a hassle to be worth it if it's under a certain value.  I stick with official Lazmall or very big stores/known stores if buying expensive items, like computer components/gadgets, I get from big official stores. Enfagrow from Enfagrow, Mamypoko from Mamypoko, etc.  Delivery vary, some deliver far ahead of schedule, some ontime, rare do I get one late tho.

As for bad customer service, its mainly the retailer that's selling the product and not Lazada, unless is Lazmall ? Lazada is just the man in the middle.

Lazmall Flagship - these are mostly suppliers or manufacturers themselves, 100% trusted.
Lazmall - they are vendors but here's a quote from the CEO "Items sold on LazMall are "100 percent guaranteed authentic" where the brands themselves identify the sellers, Lazada Philippines CEO Ray Alimurung said."
Lazmart - this is their online supermarket
Vendors - these are hit or miss, some large stores with 1000s of reviews and are all good are trustworthy vs those with no reviews / low reviews, beware of the latter. Better yet, just stay away.

I'm not too sure, but SHOPEE has a similar system I think.

SHOPEE I don't have too much experience with and only items I ordered was baby formula and diapers so far, I pay extra for J&T express and they have always shipped it in 2-3 business days.

Ease of use, shopee wins on this. Try looking for something on search on Lazada? it doesn't make sense. Shopee is OK, comparing it to  Amazon search system which is top notch. Shopee is very straight forward and have delivery options, Lazada is easy to use too but they only have their delivery LEX I think it's called.

Guys watch out for the Shopee 9.9.2020 sales galore.

Just became a 'certified bicycle assember' today  :D
Rec'vd a 20" bike (shopee) meant for the kids, it was speed delivered in a large rectangle box total costs : 3285p (all in/COD) / Similar set here costs 4300p.
Took about 1.5hrs for me to fix it up & it works perfectly...gave seller on shopee platform a 5* rating.

manwonder wrote:

Rec'vd a 20" bike (shopee) meant for the kids, it was speed delivered in a large rectangle box total costs : 3285p (all in/COD) / Similar set here costs 4300p.
Took about 1.5hrs for me to fix it up & it works perfectly...gave seller on shopee platform a 5* rating.

Sometimes you don't turn out so lucky, that's what exactly happened to my wife today. She knows I like baby back ribs so she ordered two kilo's on Facebook Market Place. She marinated them for two days and slow baked them for four hours. The baby back ribs were Brontosaurus Ribs. Tougher than the meanest beef jerky.

I ended up eating BBQ Baked beans instead.

Enzyte Bob wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Sometimes you don't turn out so lucky, that's what exactly happened to my wife today. She knows I like baby back ribs so she ordered two kilo's on Facebook Market Place. She marinated them for two days and slow baked them for four hours. The baby back ribs were Brontosaurus Ribs. Tougher than the meanest beef jerky.

I ended up eating BBQ Baked beans instead.

Thanks for the heads up...I've never ordered any food items online before.
No Brontosaurus ribs for me thanks.

We have been using Lazada for years with but one vendor problem. Deliveries have never been an issue.

We have also used Shopee to a lesser degree without issue.

One thing we do not do is buy from vendors who do not have at least 4 star ratings, and and a sales history.
We also buy ONLY COD.  If that option is not available, we don't buy.

We also look from Lazada to Shopee and back to compare pricing. We haven't found much difference between the two.

Beautiful!

TeeJay4103 wrote:

We have been using Lazada for years with but one vendor problem. Deliveries have never been an issue.

We have also used Shopee to a lesser degree without issue.

One thing we do not do is buy from vendors who do not have at least 4 star ratings, and and a sales history.
We also buy ONLY COD.  If that option is not available, we don't buy.

We also look from Lazada to Shopee and back to compare pricing. We haven't found much difference between the two.

Agree TJ especially comparing prices and products on multiple sites. Though we are only young players with these 2 sites, maybe 15 purchases we have found both very good and only COD, delivery times are extremely quick on Shopee and more reasonably priced. Products received from but sites have been fine.
These 2 sites have opened up our shopping choices with difficult to find products unless you go to/live in Manila. I can't wait until Ikea opens next year,,,, if I read things correctly.
The better half also buys on the local FB market and gets some great deals, again only COD.

Cheers, Steve.

I ordered a Blood sugar tester from Lazarda and it arrived promptly but there were no English instructions! Not much money and it looked good quality, albeit without the advertised testing strips.
I asked for return and was refused...imagine, no instructions and no returns!
I appealed the decision and was granted the return. The LBC office to drop off the unit was in Talisay and we are 50klms away in San Pablo City!
for 500 pesos the trouble is not worth the effort.
Why do the Lazarda allow sellers to sell equipment that is only for use by Chinese?
Is this a way of scamming customers, send foreign kit without English instructions knowing that it will be useless and then giving the return address far away to discourage the refund?

Peter Clark wrote:

I ordered a Blood sugar tester from Lazarda and it arrived promptly but there were no English instructions! Not much money and it looked good quality, albeit without the advertised testing strips.
I asked for return and was refused...imagine, no instructions and no returns!
I appealed the decision and was granted the return. The LBC office to drop off the unit was in Talisay and we are 50klms away in San Pablo City!
for 500 pesos the trouble is not worth the effort.
Why do the Lazarda allow sellers to sell equipment that is only for use by Chinese?
Is this a way of scamming customers, send foreign kit without English instructions knowing that it will be useless and then giving the return address far away to discourage the refund?

I had two bad experiences with Lazada out of eight purchases and none with Shopee out of
dozens of orders.

First time on Lazada, the order never arrive. The second time ordered gardening supplies and
received crackers and cookies. Lazada, the Seller & the Shipper would not take responsibility,
1800 PHP down the drain.

As far as no English instructions, that's common from many purchases that are manufactured
in China. If you get instructions they are printed in 6 point type if that, are often incomplete
and if assembly is required it's ambiguous or wrong.

Warning if the item on Shopee or Lazada says PRE-ORDER, find another supplier. That
means they don't have it and will order it. You could wait forever.

Things I have learned for Shopee, always use a preferred supplier and somebody who ships
C.O.D. from your region.

I've ordered four times from Ali Express (you have to prepay) and received items timely and very responsive replies from sellers.

If anyone finds a source for inexpensive test strips, please post. My wife and son both use
them. Back in the states my insurance for them (for me and I didn't need them). They
allowed six months supply at a time and I sent then to my stepson in the Fil.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

With the lock down and both my Wife & I are seniors, so we have not been out of the house since mid March.

I'm doing a lot more shopping online especially Shopee & Lazada.  Just my recent experience over the last week.

I ordered 5 things on Lazada from 5 different suppliers. Two arrived timely, I'm still waiting for three things now beyond the due date.

Two days later I ordered 4 things on Shopee from different suppliers, all arrived timely, some even before  due date. 

Living in the Manila Metro I chose suppliers from Manila hoping for faster delivery and cash on delivery.

When I arrive in the Fil both my wife & I had cataract surgery, for close up work at the computer we need reading glasses (+2.25) I went to EO (Executive Optical) one pair of glasses 500 php, which sounded reasonable at the time. One drop on the floor and the lenses fell out. Bought a second pair shortly afterwards the hinges broke, so now I bought a bunch on line about 80 php each. Why break expensive glasses when you can break cheap ones too.

Other items I ordered Bush's Baked Beans and Spam (none at S&R or Robinsons).

We have been ordering Seafood Cup of Noodles (6 at a time) at S&R then when I looked at the receipt it was a whopping 150 php each !  !  !  !

I buy from both lazada and shopee! Despite living in Panay Island (iloilo) i have always received from lazada , only 2, no reception on shopee!
I buy on S&R too but 70 % products are not best price! So i only buy the cheaper item (mozzarella for example, roasted  nuts  or promotion).

didiercruchet wrote:

I buy on S&R too but 70 % products are not best price! So i only buy the cheaper item (mozzarella for example, roasted  nuts  or promotion).

S&R is expensive, In the states Whole Foods better known as "Whole Paycheck" is expensive.

Last week at S&R, I almost fell over, $400 USD.

What happened to the good old wet market?
Wouldn't the meats and veggies better there?
You can also get dinner from food vendors at the market, right? They make the best dish.

Jackson4 wrote:

What happened to the good old wet market?
Wouldn't the meats and veggies better there?
You can also get dinner from food vendors at the market, right? They make the best dish.

Well as a Westerner: Good?  . . . . . . . Old, probably 

My wife shops at the wet market, veggies are ok, meats for the family is OK, but my Western
stomach says NO.

The high bill at S&R was taking my two stepsons (adults) with me. Their eyes get real "BIG".
Also I like to buy two or more of the same things, as it may not be in stock for a long time
and to have enough at home, so I never run out.

I use Shopee and hesitate if the product is not shipped domestically. My hair clipper grooming set gave up the ghost. In the states I used Braun, a quality product which somehow didn't get packed on our move to the Fil.

I purchased a cheap clipper here and it lasted three years. I now wanted to buy a Braun, but I didn't feel like spending a little over 3,000 php.

So I ordered a cheap Chinese clipper under 1,000 php including shipping. The clipper/grooming set arrived in 5 days. What a surprise

I am in GenTri. My last trip to S&R was 300USD, UGH. I thought S&R was supposed to be like BJ's or Sam's Club in the States. I go to Allday for smaller trips to the store. Where else do you buy groceries?

BOB-Some things you are better buying online(vitamins) and some things you are taking a chance on. I just ordered a elect shaver on lazada and will  see how that goes.Only 5usd so if its a dud-so be it. I was going to buy a laptop on lazada and decided not to. Cheap prices but virtually no warranty. When you try to return something there are hassles. I bought a 2 head elec shaver from Lazada and it works ok but the heads are not removable without damaging the shaver.Remember-majority of this stuff whether Lazada or Shoppee comes from China (Covid-MADE IN CHINA?)  haha joke lang! Anyway I have no problems ordering vitamins from Lazada and havent tried Shoppee because they wont take cod.If they change their policy I might try them.Other info: For rotary electrict shavers with removable cutters you dont have to replace them,Save your money. You can sharpen yourself. Take them(remove cutters) and put a drop of oil or water and rub them one at a time on a window or small piece of a window.I have a 3 inch piece of glass I use. Rub them on the  glass in a circular motion and they will sharpen themselves. Rub maybe 1 minute each ead-3 heads take 3 minutes unless you wanna also rub counter clock wise so 6 minutes. i heard this somewhere and tried it and it really works! The motors in these rotary shavers are long lasting. I have one I bought 10 years ago Norelco and still works. I lost the chord and need to find a new one.Baguio Jimmy

For shaving, the local barber can do that for you just like in the Italian mob movies. They sharpen the razor blade on a belt, brush the warm cream on your face, then shave you. You hope they don't cut your neck.😬
Is that going to cost 100 pesos?

Jackson-Wont cost you anything if the barber doesnt like you!Joke lang!Precede with caution.!Those razors are pretty sharp! I will stick to my Norelco!Jimmy

capricornrising wrote:

<snip> and havent tried Shoppee because they wont take cod.If they change their policy I might try them.

<snip> For rotary electrict shavers

Hi Capricorn, Everything a buy on Shopee is c.o.d..

I didn't need a shaver, just a hair clipper (what little hair I have left) I have a neatly trimmed beard (like all old men). I use a cheap gillette two blade razor for part of my neck, it usually lasts a long long time as I only shave twice a week.

A tip for blade users, forget the shaving cream, hair shampoo works better, the cheaper the better.

CanoJim wrote:

I am in GenTri. My last trip to S&R was 300USD, UGH. I thought S&R was supposed to be like BJ's or Sam's Club in the States. I go to Allday for smaller trips to the store. Where else do you buy groceries?

S&R is a poor imitation of Sam's Club/Costco. Originally I heard S&R was in partners with the owners of Costco, then Costco bailed out.

Importing products is expensive so if you want it . . . you pay through the nose. My nose is hemorrhaging. My diet is not Noodles & Rice, so I run up a big bill.

Plus my Filipino family thinks their rich, I leave the shopping cart for a minute without realizing what they added. Watching the checkout I see somethings and think What the ****?

It's my mistake, I ask my wife to make a list, I tell my stepsons to tell Mom what we need, I tell my daughter-in-law to tell Mom what she needs, I tell the housekeeper to tell Mom what she needs. Then there is my impulse buying, never checking the price. I saw a package of "Tootsie Rolls" impulse buy, when I got home I found out that I paid almost $10 USD.

I don't want to go crazy anymore, so I sit down and let my stepson check out, to save my sanity I never look at the receipt.

I live in Angeles. We shop at Save More because it is close to our house. The selection is good but the prices are definitely NOT helping us "Save MORE". If there is something specific we are looking for that we can't find at Save More we go to Hyper Mart in the SM mall in the Clark Freeport Zone. If we still can't find what we are looking for S&R is our last resort.

I'm not impressed with S&R it's just the overseas version of Costco. I don't need or want gallons of Mayonaise of OVERPRICED food in OVERSIZED packages that are hard to fit in limited storage space. On our last trip to S&R we spent P17,000 for a month worth of groceries. Haven't been back in two months and don't plan to go back anytime soon.

I live in Angeles. We shop at Save More because it is close to our house. The selection is good but the prices are definitely NOT helping us "Save MORE". If there is something specific we are looking for that we can't find at Save More we go to Hyper Mart in the SM mall in the Clark Freeport Zone. If we still can't find what we are looking for S&R is our last resort.

I'm not impressed with S&R it's just the overseas version of Costco. I don't need or want gallons of Mayonaise of OVERPRICED food in OVERSIZED packages that are hard to fit in limited storage space. On our last trip to S&R we spent P17,000 for a month worth of groceries. Haven't been back in two months and don't plan to go back anytime soon.

Thanks for the tip Bob.I will compare prices Shoppee and Lazada. Do they deliver shoppee via a ninja motorbike driver like Lazada does?JImmy

Assembling a bike sounds like a fun excuse to spend a little time "tinkering." Plus, I'm sure the kids will LOVE it!

Carl

On both Lazada and Shopee I always hesitate when it says "Ships from overseas". Apart from Amazon I've had so many bad experiences.

FindlayMacD wrote:

On both Lazada and Shopee I always hesitate when it says "Ships from overseas". Apart from Amazon I've had so many bad experiences.

The real problem is some enterprising Filipino goes on Shopee/Lazada to open a store. Some products they don't have and they order it from China flipping the product for profit. A catch word is pre-order, that's the time to move on. Often they will say 627 (or any number) in stock, except there is no reviews from anyone who purchase the product. This is why you order c.o.d., of course you knew that, but is for a newbie who needs to purchase stuff.

I've order products from China and the site says shipped from China. I've received them anywhere from 5 days to three weeks. I've also ordered from Ali Express (pre-paid) three times and never had a problem.

Today I ordered eight woven three gallon grow bags from a supplier I've done business with before. Also order eight adjustable curtain rods to be used as stakes for my tomato plants. Too bad we don't have a Walmart with gardening supplies or a Lowes where we can go to in the Fil. Sometimes you have to be creative to solve problems.

Findlay-I have also wondered about that. "Ships from overseas" Perhaps they are trying to justify the high shipping fee. Some fees are more than the product itself.Jimmy

Lazada and Shoppe work well for us, living 6 hours drive from Manila,,,,, maybe 5 if you leave at 11PM from here. No complaints for either and shipping from O/S is less than a week, sometimes 3 days, go figure.(how do they do it for 60 pesos, filling up the plane is my only conclusion). The shipping costs from our experience is 60 to 80 pesos depending on the size of the item, easy to research. The crucial matter is the sellers kudos and little else. 4.8 to 5 stars is generally the winner, a serious seller being in business a long time. Referrals from existing customers etc.
Ben purchased a new wallet yesterday (Fossil) and I noted to him that many clients/many wallet purchasers complained about the damaged packaging, ie the aluminium box they are packed in (nice jewerly box). An email to the company revealed that it is the courier company that causes the damage as they are shipped in pristine condition,,,,,,,, we have had dozens and dozens of deliveries from both companies and never damaged packaging  much less the item. My only suggestion to him was that company is selling items that were secured at a cheaper price because of the damage and are fobbing them off as perfect,,,,,,. He purchased what he wanted regardless. We will see.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

Ben purchased a new wallet yesterday (Fossil)
Cheers, Steve.

Over the years I purchased cheaper wallets than Fossil. They usually last a few years except those that made a trip through the washing machine. (Left in my pants by accident.)

While in the states my wife bought me a Fossil wallet ($100 USD). Since she was a Filipina I wasn't going to question her on spending so much money without me getting into a fight.

Over the years, I've grown to appreciate the value of having a good wallet, several times through the washing machine and now 7 or 8 years old and good as new.

Enzyte Bob wrote:
bigpearl wrote:

Ben purchased a new wallet yesterday (Fossil)
Cheers, Steve.

Over the years I purchased cheaper wallets than Fossil. They usually last a few years except those that made a trip through the washing machine. (Left in my pants by accident.)

While in the states my wife bought me a Fossil wallet ($100 USD). Since she was a Filipina I wasn't going to question her on spending so much money without me getting into a fight.

Over the years, I've grown to appreciate the value of having a good wallet, several times through the washing machine and now 7 or 8 years old and good as new.

Good and wise move (paragraph 2) Bob.
I brought Ben a new leather wallet 8 years ago, some AU 70 bucks, the stitching is failing and has never been in the washing machine but he does overload it with plastic cards, receipts and cash, let's hope the new Fossil will last him longer. "it's not a wheel burrow Ben"
My sis gave me my current Fossil wallet for my 50th so nearing 12 years old, washing machine once, don't overload it and going strong, I'm sure I will get another 10 years out of it.
No I don't have shares in the company but appreciate quality.

Cheers, Steve.

Bob-Finally got my cod problem fixed on Shoppee. Vitamins were higher than Lazada so will stick with LAZ. I have had the same wallet for 7 years.Bought it here in Baguio but cant find another one like it. Wallets are something I have to see and touch in person. Not something I will buy online.Just bought a cheap elec shaver 5 usd on lazada. It shaves ok but the heads are not removable. Chinese made so probably wont last very long. I lived in Shanghai 2 years and bought a cheap watch 100 pesos and 3 days later it bit the dust. After that bought a casio 500 pesos and 10 years later still running strong.Just had to replace the rubber  band. Good for another 10 years or until I expire which ever comes first!-joke lang!........Jimmy

capricornrising wrote:

Chinese made so probably wont last very long. I lived in Shanghai 2 years and bought a cheap watch 100 pesos and 3 days later it bit the dust.
Jimmy

Not long ago I posted about electrical appliances purchased in the Fil that break prematurely. Besides the grooming kit that I replaced, within days two more fans quit. Third overall in the last three years.

Back in the states I never had a fan quit, even a ceiling fan that ran seven days a week for eight years till I moved.

I'm sure the cheap Chinese products shipped are not the good quality products sold domestically in China. My reasoning for this, my wife & I were good friends with a Chinese lady in Las Vegas. She pointed out the domestic clothing in China is higher quality than what is exported.

Now that makes sense, how do you complain about a  cheap product for replacement half way around the globe? You just go with the flow expecting to replace it again in the future.

Chinese workers are paid sweat shop wages and the products show poor quality coupled with cheap quality materials. When a factory worker working on an assembly line isnt content with his/her job they cant put their best workmanship into the product. They just pretty much go thru the motions of making the product. Chinese Gov should have a decent livable minimum wage like the USA does to encourage the workers to do a better job(care more about their job) but thats probably not gonna happen under a communistic rule. Jimmy

Save the cost of surgery. Why buy the cow when you can have Stents.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

I use Shopee and hesitate if the product is not shipped domestically. My hair clipper grooming set gave up the ghost. In the states I used Braun, a quality product which somehow didn't get packed on our move to the Fil.

I purchased a cheap clipper here and it lasted three years. I now wanted to buy a Braun, but I didn't feel like spending a little over 3,000 php.

So I ordered a cheap Chinese clipper under 1,000 php including shipping. The clipper/grooming set arrived in 5 days. What a surprise

Agreed, I always check for "ships from overseas".

Personally I always find Lazada's search engine is much better than Shopee's, but once I have found the item I want in Lazada I then check the price on Shopee using the same item description shown on Lazada.