Government check from the United states, How can i cash it?!

Hello Everyone,

So I received a check from the United States (United States Treasury) I've gone to several banks here in the DR (BHD, Scotia, Popular) however I was told I needed besides my passport, I would need a valid driver's license. Well, my passport is still valid however my driver's license is not Valid. I tried opening up a cash account, BHD took a copy of my passport and I was told the bank would call me back, however, the bank did not call me I had to go there, so when I went to see what was taking so long after a month, I was told I needed more information. I'm starting to lose hope.

Can someone help me out, with some information about how I can go about getting this check cashed?

Thanks,

Kia

Long shot but check to see if your bank has a mobile app.  Some bank apps enable to scan and deposit a cheque.

Find a check casher and pay the fee to have it cashed.

@Mendoza1968 HELLO ! I have the same problem ! What were you able to do ?

As someone said - if you have a US bank account all of them have apps that allow you to deposit checks up to a certain amount. 
Just an FYI, you can sign up instantly for a Fidelity Investment Cash Management acct, SoFi acct, and/or Charles Schwab acct which allows you to make mobile deposits. I work virtually and deal with mailed checks very often and this has been a tremendous help.

Fidelity & Charles Schwab reimburse you for ATM withdrawal fees and all 3 debit cards can be connected to your mobile device for touchless pay with Lindo, Pola, MBE Mail Boxes, etc.
Bank apps are the best option with some you can even open an account online depending where you are in the Dominican Republic serif there's a forwarding service available like EPS or bm cargo use the Miami address they give to open the account so you can have cards an correspondence sent you pretty intense but it depends on your situation and how badly you need the access to the money that's the way I did it all on line got my debit cards had the bank rush them for a fee and I was all set
@DominicanadaMike

Hi Mike , I have the scan & click in the US (Chase) but the last 3 times I went to a bank in the DR the two different banks didn't have internet when I was there…. 😂
I don't know if I would want to trust a bank app in the DR.  , just thinking out loud..👍
Bank apps here range from pretty darn good to are you kidding me!

Internet outages happen as well as electrical. 

Most important I wish they would want us about updates and improvements which almost always cause things to crash!  Makes me nuts
In my experience, bank apps are great for depositing paper checks.

When it comes to spending money in your account, I would recommend connecting your bank card to Apple Pay, Google Pay, or something similar. I only use touchless pay and I've never had an issue because using that feature is not contingent upon internet service.

If you prefer cash, opening a US account from here is quick and easy with the 3 financial institutions I mentioned above. I did this last year and received my debit card within 2 weeks via MBE

@Mendoza1968

I found Banco BHD usable what I mean once You go and give the necessary documents you can open an account with a 500.00usd deposit and then you can transfer your US dollars into that account (savings account) and take it out in dollars. Up to now its been a very tedious and arduous process but I see light at the end of the tunnel. I tried Banco Popular and their procedures was too much and could not transfer my money to the account meaning they want you to send a wire transfer and I refuse because the fees are too high to do every month. Back to Banco BHD they will have you fill a W-9 for the IRS ( I guess so they know you are not money laundering) however like you I just want my money available while I am there. And Banco BHD is all over the country. I did not find anyone who spoke  English so hopefully you have someone you can trust with personal information.

@Choti

thanks much appreciated info. I'll check this bank when I go to guanacaste in decembrer to open an account with my wife.

Gracias

@Choti thank you for the information.  I understand that Banco BHD may be willing to accept transfers from US banks; however, is not the problem on the US bank side?  I ask as I have visited several US bank sites, and spoken to my own banks and credit unions and I have found that many of the banks/credit unions will not do direct transfers and will only do wire transfers.

Any additional light you can shed on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a super-fantastic day!