Best Villages w/Rental Homes w/i 2 Hours of Saigon

My husband and I are planning to move to Vietnam in November. We would like to rent a house within two hours of Saigon. We need at least two bedrooms and two baths, a private pool, AC, fully furnished, wifi, and one that allows pets - we have two toy dogs. What are the best villages/towns to look in?

porchet wrote:

My husband and I are planning to move to Vietnam in November. We would like to rent a house within two hours of Saigon. We need at least two bedrooms and two baths, a private pool, AC, fully furnished, wifi, and one that allows pets - we have two toy dogs. What are the best villages/towns to look in?

The private pool is not at all common and would definitely place the property under the "villa" classification.

A property like that will be walled, so having the dogs wouldn't be a problem except for the rare landlord who doesn't allow pets.

Airbnb is a good place to start to see high prices.

Search for 30 day rental periods, which will reveal lower rates for monthly rentals.

You'll probably be able to get 20% to 50% lower than that if you negotiate in person for a 1 year lease with 1 or 2 months deposit...IF you can get into Việt Nam in November.

Searching the Province of Bà Rịa - Vũng Tàu especially in the city of Vũng Tàu is my first suggestion.

I highly discourage making any commitment long distance.

It will be much wiser to arrive here and stay in affordable hotel accommodations while you do a search in person. 

I normally don't recommend rental agents, but in your circumstances with the large radius of your search area, it may be good to find a very knowledgeable and trustworthy agent in Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon who also speaks excellent English and can help you find exactly what you need.

Good luck!

Is it pretty sure that Vietnam will have reopened the border by November? I'm quite skeptical.

Getting in will be the issue.

You may also want to say what your budget is.

Two-hours from Saigon encompasses many,many places. Best you arrive( if you can) and do a look around

colinoscapee wrote:

Getting in will be the issue.

You may also want to say what your budget is.

Two-hours from Saigon encompasses many,many places. Best you arrive( if you can) and do a look around

Also 2 hours to where in HCMC? district 1?  or the city bounderies? is it regular travel say to work & by what kind transport, by car or bus, you could be stuck in traffic for 2 hours just coming in from say Vung Tau or many of the suburbs for that matter! From Vung Tau by the fast ferry even will take most of 2 hours & thats if you are lucky & it dont hit a log or catch fire!

For example.........I live district 12...........going into district 1 at 9am will take me at least 45 min by motorbike same coming back out from 4pm on wards could take that at least if not more.

WillyBaldy wrote:

Is it pretty sure that Vietnam will have reopened the border by November? I'm quite skeptical.

The borders will be closed for sure till end of the year for the foreigners (tourist visas).
The vaccine is the key...so beginning of next year if all goes well.

porchet wrote:

My husband and I are planning to move to Vietnam in November.

What year?  :unsure

As a rule "village" and "private pool and AC" are mutually exclusive and it might be difficult to find.

That said I did see a nice small villa for rent in Thu Dau Mot that had a private pool (not very big; about 3M x 5M) and AC a year ago.  I considered it but it would be a full hour+ to get to D2 where I go to work  and I didn't want the commute.  There are some nice homes there and prices are lower than HCMC.  I think it was around 25,000,000 - 30,000,000 .

SteinNebraska wrote:

As a rule "village" and "private pool and AC" are mutually exclusive and it might be difficult to find.

That said I did see a nice small villa for rent in Thu Dau Mot that had a private pool (not very big; about 3M x 5M) and AC a year ago.  I considered it but it would be a full hour+ to get to D2 where I go to work  and I didn't want the commute.  There are some nice homes there and prices are lower than HCMC.  I think it was around 25,000,000 - 30,000,000 .

I have visited a house in a gated community (suppose you could call it a sort of village) out by Binh Duong, very up market. Before we left I took a run round & none of the houses had a swimming pool of any sort that I could see, many of them did have koi pools with water gardens complete with water falls etc.....very nice they were too. To buy a place there was in the region of 1mil USD & rent in excess of 2500usd a month. But even from there to central Saigon by car was at least 2 hours depending on time of day.

By the way, please take note I was only visiting the house, way over my budget & you know something, for a mil usd in US or UK you could buy a much better built house, inside the finishing was in my opinion sub standard for a house of that price!

kallouche wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

The borders will be closed for sure till end of the year for the foreigners (tourist visas).
The vaccine is the key...so beginning of next year if all goes well.

Even my Vietnamese roommate (who owns a Canadian and Vietnamese passport) would have a hard time going back, right now Vietnam only have a few charter flights every now and then (from Canada) and give priority to Vietnamese citizens with expired visas or other emergency circumstances, an the price is USD$2000 for a one way ticket, and then there's two weeks quarantine. She wanted to go visit her family in Saigon but now with the new infection cases (and first death) it probably won't be before January, if she's lucky.

WillyBaldy wrote:

but now with the new infection cases (and first death) it probably won't be before January, if she's lucky.

Yeah, I think that killed my chance at a Christmas visit for a month.  Almost no chance I'm getting back into Vietnam.  Just have to wait until next June when we move home.  That's putting me at close to 18 months in country without a break...and I really need a break.

What I really need is my house out in hometown on the lake so I can get away from Sai Gon.  But that won't get built until we move back.  This city is driving the country boy crazy.  My last house in US the land was 66,000 meters.  I could see exactly one house. Not bragging at all about the size  because it was dirt cheap.  Way cheaper than buying 100 meters in a bad part of Sai Gon.  My family and friends say I'm lying when I told them I paid 6,000 (yes, six thousand) VND per meter.

I can't relpace it today for that but could for double that which is still stupid cheap.

SteinNebraska wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

but now with the new infection cases (and first death) it probably won't be before January, if she's lucky.

Yeah, I think that killed my chance at a Christmas visit for a month.  Almost no chance I'm getting back into Vietnam.  Just have to wait until next June when we move home.  That's putting me at close to 18 months in country without a break...and I really need a break.

What I really need is my house out in hometown on the lake so I can get away from Sai Gon.  But that won't get built until we move back.  This city is driving the country boy crazy.  My last house in US the land was 66,000 meters.  I could see exactly one house. Not bragging at all about the size  because it was dirt cheap.  Way cheaper than buying 100 meters in a bad part of Sai Gon.  My family and friends say I'm lying when I told them I paid 6,000 (yes, six thousand) VND per meter.

I can't relpace it today for that but could for double that which is still stupid cheap.

Yeah, I "escaped" Rach Gia back in March with only a few more days before Canada closed to border, I came back to Canada just in time because I would have had a hard time coming back to Canada after March. I was contemplating going another 5-6 months this winter but now that plan is scrapped, I'll probably plan for winter 2022.

I would never think of living in Saigon nowadays. I was very happy in Rach Gia, a coastal city close to the ocean, fresh breeze every day and safe motorbike driving. I totally understand what you mean!

WillyBaldy wrote:

Yeah, I "escaped" Rach Gia back in March with only a few more days before Canada closed to border, I came back to Canada just in time because I would have had a hard time coming back to Canada after March. I was contemplating going another 5-6 months this winter but now that plan is scrapped, I'll probably plan for winter 2022.

I would never think of living in Saigon nowadays. I was very happy in Rach Gia, a coastal city close to the ocean, fresh breeze every day and safe motorbike driving. I totally understand what you mean!

In my perfect world I'd spend summers on a lake in NW Ontario and then winters here.  I'm having a hard enough time convincing my wife to move to the outer edge of HCMC.  Not likely to get her to Minaki, ON where I've spent a lot of time.  In fact, this will be the first year in 24 years that I didn't spend a week or two there.  There's a slight chance that Kenora would be big enough.  It's about 45,000 people.

The OP doesnt seem too interested in their own thread.

colinoscapee wrote:

I suppose they finally checked and realized they won't make it here by November...of this year, anyway.  That's why I haven't felt guilty drifting this thread.

colinoscapee wrote:

Most people who have single digit posts are not very keen in reading the replies to their questions.  In my mind, I call that drive-by posting.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Most people who have single digit posts are not very keen in reading the replies to their questions.  In my mind, I call that drive-by posting.

The OP being American, wouldn't that be a drive-thru posting.

colinoscapee wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

The OP being American, wouldn't that be a drive-thru posting.

Depends on if french fries are requested or shots are fired...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Depends on if french fries are requested or shots are fired...

Damn! You beat me to it.  :lol: