A2 Language Skills

Hi,

Would a good grade GCSE (iGCSE) Portuguese be accepted as proof you speak Portuguese to "A2 Level" for the Citizenship Application?

Thanks,

-Andy

There are approximately 270 million native speakers of Portuguese, the sixth most natively spoken language in the world. Thus speaking Portuguese correctly does not give you the Portuguese citizenship...

There are several rules for acquiring Portuguese citizenship, which are organized by profiles, depending on the place where you were born, how many years you have lived in Portugal, the nationality of your relatives, the relationship with the Portuguese community, among others.

If it applies to you one of the following Profiles, please check it for further detail in:
justica.gov.pt/Guias/como-obter-nacionalidade-portuguesa

Profiles:
a. You are married or living as a couple with a Portuguese person
b. You were adopted by a Portuguese family
c. You were born in Portugal
d. You were born abroad but some of your relatives were Portuguese
e. You are living in Portugal for several years
f. You had once Portuguese citizenship but lost your nationality
g. You are under 18 and your father or mother acquired Portuguese nationality after you were born
h. You are a member of a Portuguese community abroad
i. You have provided relevant services to the Portuguese State or the Portuguese community
j. You are descended from Portuguese Sephardic Jews

JohnnyPT wrote:

There are approximately 270 million native speakers of Portuguese, the sixth most natively spoken language in the world. Thus speaking Portuguese correctly does not give you the Portuguese citizenship...

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the clarification, but this isn't what I'm thinking or asking.

Is the Citizenship requirement of A2 CIPLE Portuguese the only acceptable language proof, or are other proofs also valid?

Sorry for not having understood your question.
You are correct!

Unless you are married to a Portuguese citizen or living as a couple relationship with a Portuguese you will need to prove you have sufficient command of the language.

The  Portuguese  language  test  level  that  is  sufficient  to obtain Portuguese nationality is known  as  A2  CIPLE (Initial Certificate of Portuguese as a Foreign Language). In accordance with current legislation, level A2 is the minimum level required. This  level  is  around  that  of  ‘O'  level/GCSE  in  the  UK.  It  is  run by  the  University  of  Lisbon (ULisboa)
Please read this:
www.letras.ulisboa.pt/pt/areas-e-unidad … s/ciple-a2

I also have found a PDF with detailed information in the "Language Test" section at this link:  www.algarvedailynews.com/news/13885-bec … zen-update

JohnnyPT wrote:

Sorry for not having understood your question.
You are correct!

Unless you are married to a Portuguese citizen or living as a couple relationship with a Portuguese you will need to prove you have sufficient command of the language.

The  Portuguese  language  test  level  that  is  sufficient  to obtain Portuguese nationality is known  as  A2  CIPLE (Initial Certificate of Portuguese as a Foreign Language). In accordance with current legislation, level A2 is the minimum level required. This  level  is  around  that  of  ‘O'  level/GCSE  in  the  UK.  It  is  run by  the  University  of  Lisbon (ULisboa)
Please read this:
www.letras.ulisboa.pt/pt/areas-e-unidad … s/ciple-a2

I also have found a PDF with detailed information in the "Language Test" section at this link:  www.algarvedailynews.com/news/13885-bec … zen-update

Thanks for the links, I'd not found these after a few searchs.

I think I'll still push us as a family to do the iGCSE so the kids have a UK based Qualification, but looks like we'll still have to do the A2 CIPLE if we go down that route.

@Andysuth Hello. Did you use your iGCSE Portuguese certificate to apply?

@ozlemos

Hi, I tried to find somewhere to sit the GCSE, but couldn't find anywhere, however Portuguese initiatives do courses for A2 through Centro that you can be paid for attending.

@Andysuth Thank you. I understand that you didn't try to use the certificate then.