Danang rental prices.

Without the Chinese Asian tourist base, all of Asia is hurting big time. I recall an expat in Danang telling me how the Chinese don't spend and how they rely on western tourists expats to drive the economy. In February during covid I drove him around a deserted Danang. Showing him all the empty restaurants businesses etc.
His tune changed pretty quickly. Chinese tourists account for 1/3 of foreign tourists.

They also spend, sure. The money just flows different ways. As far I understand, a decent percentage buys all inclusive, pay in China and their tour operators spend the money  in a way of wholesale buying. So  most of the group members  don't need to pay at the table - which possible makes appearing as "no spending".
However, Vietnamese tours do very similar on places.
China is just the favorite "enemy" to pick on permanently, whatever they do, especially inside Vietnam in the Vietnamese eyes.
Depending on where about in China, both countries can have a lot in common, so it's not really  needed, to spend billions of dollars for a lousy lunch

This has been said about the Chinese in every Asian country, they don't spend, package tours etc etc.
Fact is, China has the fastest growing middle class in the world, and I have witnessed plenty of these travellers, not on package deals behind flag wavers, spending plenty of cash. Not nursing beers, eating in shopping malls like the Thai expats.
I bet these asian countries wouldn't be bicthing now to see millions of package tourists . There is still an economic spinoff that the locals profit from.

These bozo's saying the chinese tour groups don't spend money aren't looking too far.

In Nha Trang 7000 were arriving daily.   That's a lot of airport landing tax revenue & business for food outlets .

Then , you've got the 150 + buses & taxi to bring them into Town.
Someone's got to drive the bus, fuel the bus, wash the bus & maintainence.

They've got to sleep & eat somewhere.  Someone's making the beds, cooking the food, driving them around,  washing dishes, truck loads of linen laundry, 

Local tours & attractions., shopping , cafes , beach chair rentals, local buses & taxis & Cyclo since they can't walk everywhere. 

Locals do most of that work & get paid for it.

For years in Hawaii, the Japanese tourist was the goose that laid the golden egg.  They not only paid absurd prices for hotels and meals but bought tons of stuff from outlets of 5th Avenue and Parisian clothiers and jewlers.  Gradually the eggs were turning to silver.  Still nice but not the same.  Then the Chinese began to arrive just in time to be the new goose.  I expect that Hawaii, until the coronavirus hit, was getting the top layer of Chinese travelers, what the industry calls FIT's (Free individual travelers) rather than tour group members.  Vietnam was probably getting the next socioeconomic layer down but still a real source of income.  I have posted here that Vietnam could live without tourism but certainly there are cities like Da Nang, Quy Nhon, and Nha Trang that have become dependent on that revenue stream.   What could be even more damaging may be the overall lack of worldwide demand, particularly for things like fashion sneakers (trainers to you British types) which I read recently had resulted in factory layoffs.  That could place the hurt farther away from the shorelines and a lot deeper into the countryside.

I read an article from Korea about independent travellers from there. It was pre CV 19 so ... you know.

But basically it stated that more and more Koreans are starting to travel independently. They see that travelling in Vietnam (for example) is not so difficult and crime is low (enough) so they get bolder.

The Chinese are similar. First they get the tour and then they get acclimatised.

We (UK) were all the same a few decades back when we went to Spain and Greece. Now of course, we all arrive on our own.

I was with a Korean friend in Da Nang who would always talk to the Koreans and the Chinese independents on the beach. He was fluent in Chinese and so I noticed a lot more indie travellers once he had pointed out the differences between nations. I have to admit to not noticing the differences before that. Sorry.

I saw there were many independent Korean travellers arriving at Da Nang (Again pre CV 19) when I flew from Korea last year.

They were there. They will return, but ... it might be a while.

Canman62 wrote:

Looks like another thread gone sideways.

Canman62 wrote:

Without the Chinese Asian tourist base, all of Asia is hurting big time. I recall an expat in Danang telling me how the Chinese don't spend and how they rely on western tourists expats to drive the economy. In February during covid I drove him around a deserted Danang. Showing him all the empty restaurants businesses etc.
His tune changed pretty quickly. Chinese tourists account for 1/3 of foreign tourists.

Everything after this post has gone north to China... 😉

Yeah sorry. Off topic.

SongwriterUK wrote:

Yeah sorry. Off topic.

Don't apologize.  Don't be cowed.  Discussion of the demand aspects, or lack of demand, on pricing is entirely relevant.  Not off topic.

SongwriterUK wrote:

I read an article from Korea about independent travellers from there. It was pre CV 19 so ... you know.

But basically it stated that more and more Koreans are starting to travel independently. They see that travelling in Vietnam (for example) is not so difficult and crime is low (enough) so they get bolder.

The Chinese are similar. First they get the tour and then they get acclimatised.

We (UK) were all the same a few decades back when we went to Spain and Greece. Now of course, we all arrive on our own.

I was with a Korean friend in Da Nang who would always talk to the Koreans and the Chinese independents on the beach. He was fluent in Chinese and so I noticed a lot more indie travellers once he had pointed out the differences between nations. I have to admit to not noticing the differences before that. Sorry.

I saw there were many independent Korean travellers arriving at Da Nang (Again pre CV 19) when I flew from Korea last year.

They were there. They will return, but ... it might be a while.

SongwriterUK wrote:

Yeah sorry. Off topic.

You actually brought your comment back on topic.

I should have said "almost" everything 😉

A lot of brown rings around the necks - just for a bit of political correctness .... get a life

New Covid case in... Danang! Tourists cancel visits!

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/pla … 35936.html

FabriceVN wrote:

One case!  OMG! Roll up the streets!

SteinNebraska wrote:
FabriceVN wrote:

There is not only one. He got it from someone ... and that again got it from someone ....

Tiny_63 wrote:

There is not only one. He got it from someone ... and that again got it from someone ....

About 10 days ago, 50 Chinese were discovered in Da Nang, all of them have been in the country illegally, some of them don't even possess a passport. 

There's no solid proof that the new patient was infected by those Chinese, but there's no solid proof that he wasn't infected by them either.  Health officials have yet to categorize his status.  The investigation is still ongoing.

Ciambella wrote:
Tiny_63 wrote:

About 10 days ago, 50 Chinese were discovered in Da Nang, all of them have been in the country illegally, some of them don't even possess a passport. 

There's no solid proof that the new patient was infected by those Chinese, but there's no solid proof that he wasn't infected by them either.  Health officials have yet to categorize his status.  The investigation is still ongoing.

Yep, this is a big problem. A lot of people seem to ignore or underestimate the virus for various reasons. Still, I like the way Vietnam does handle it. From the first moment, logical and strict, the only way to fight any outbreaks.
To many countries fail and/or people ain't not enough aware.

Ciambella wrote:
Tiny_63 wrote:

Danang is a travel hub. No matter if Chinese or drug dealers, Vietnamese guest workers in China or others. There are sure plenty of ways, people cross borders and go undetected for ages  in some areas.
I am sure, that soon more cases get discovered and not only in Danang.
So far the 2 cases from Danang ain't linked - a sign, that there is likely more

bribing locals to let them cross the border....

Jlgarbutt wrote:

bribing locals to let them cross the border....

Desperacy for ..... might one the many reasons. It's the same reasons, why a self-quarantaine just doesn't work for all people

2nd case found in Danang! The future of this city is darker every day.
A 2nd old man in in severe condition too, like the 1st one!
When you have 2 persons in critical condition, probably you have also 50 asymptomatic infected people.

e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnam-records-second-covid-19-community-transmission-in-100-days-4136178.html

FabriceVN wrote:

2nd case found in Danang! The future of this city is darker every day.
A 2nd old man in in severe condition too, like the 1st one!
When you have 2 persons in critical condition, probably you have also 50 asymptomatic infected people.

Plus all the others, with mild symptoms and self-diagnosed as something else or to poor, to see a doctor.
As long Vietnam keeps up it's strategy with isolation and treatment, there is a still a good chance, that the "big one"  will not hit as hard, as other nations have have been hit.

As a matter of fact, most countries, which I suspected least to fail, have failed badly caused by their liberal politics, medically and economically, whilst other countries had a lot better looking results - as for now.

+2 cases
Current count: 3 in Danang, 1 in Quang Ngai province (but he went to Danang).
To be continued...

FabriceVN wrote:

+2 cases
Current count: 3 in Danang, 1 in Quang Ngai province (but he went to Danang).
To be continued...

So far, one was traced even to HCMC, related to a apartment, whilst without any symptoms, but got the first symptoms here in HCMC. And I can ensure you, nobody of their contacts thought of Covid, when symptoms did appear. The guards against Covid were down, all over and everywhere.

So, it's likely well outside of Danang and can show up anywhere at any time.

A general note to all foreigners and non-citizens of Vietnam:

Nobody in Vietnam cares what you think about the virus or about the response to the virus.

There are multiple sources of official information which don't include foreigners speculating about scenarios.

Any Foreigner who really wants to contribute something significant should download the app for the Ministry of Health and report your health daily.

Official NCOVI app

Contrary to rumors in this forum, the requirement for foreigners to keep the government advised as to the foreigner's health has never stopped, and the app is the easiest and most efficient way to comply, since it also provides immediate confirmation of where you've been to authorities, should you be asked.

Also, contrary to rumors in this forum there have been two recent new cases of covid-19 discovered, not three.

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/screenshot_20200727-123926_ncovi.jpg

So it really is best if you are going to state something as fact here in this forum you should be able to refer to an official source for your information.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

A general note to all foreigners and non-citizens of Vietnam:

Nobody in Vietnam cares what you think about the virus or about the response to the virus.

There are multiple sources of official information which don't include foreigners speculating about scenarios.

Any Foreigner who really wants to contribute something significant should download the app for the Ministry of Health and report your health daily.

Official NCOVI app

Contrary to rumors in this forum, the requirement for foreigners to keep the government advised as to the foreigner's health has never stopped, and the app is the easiest and most efficient way to comply, since it also provides immediate confirmation of where you've been to authorities, should you be asked.

Also, contrary to rumors in this forum there have been two recent new cases of covid-19 discovered, not three.

[img align=C]https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/screenshot_20200727-123926_ncovi.jpg[/url]

So it really is best if you are going to state something as fact here in this forum you should be able to refer to an official source for your information.

Wow. I had that installed before but kicked out, as all was in Vietnamese only. With the English added, it even works pretty decent

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

There have been FOUR, not 2, you are not well informed!

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 36729.html
"However, on July 25 a man in the central city of Da Nang was diagnosed with Covid-19, and then three more cases of community transmission were found the next day in the city and nearby Quang Ngai Province."

What does it matter in detail? 2 or 4, the known and contained cases are for statistics and medical staff, the other ones, posing the risks

FabriceVN wrote:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnam-brings-back-covid-19-protocols-for-public-transport-4136729.html
"However, on July 25 a man in the central city of Da Nang was diagnosed with Covid-19, and then three more cases of community transmission were found the next day in the city and nearby Quang Ngai Province."

The problem with this entry is that if you follow the link that it contains VN Express you get a headline and an article that says two more cases rather than three.  Maybe just sloppy journalism but still somewhat disconcerting.

THIGV wrote:

Maybe just sloppy journalism but still somewhat disconcerting.

Yes I always read several websites to have correct info, it's 4 too on tuoitrenews.vn

Anyway, it's castastrophic for the Danang economy.

This is from one of half a dozen government's newspapers that I often read.  To be specific, it's from "Trade Union Newspaper, the Official Agency of the General Confederation of Labour, the Voice of Labourers and Office Workers" (the longer the title, the more important the image unless you're the PM):

There are 4 new cases in country, 3 from Da Nang and one from Quang Ngai.

1- Patient 416 was born in 1963 in Da Nang and lives in Da Nang.  Might be infected on either July 7 or July 16 when in direct contact with patients in Cardiovascular Intervention Department in Da Nang Hospital.  As of July 23, he has been tested 3x in Da Nang with 3 positive results.  All 103 people who were in contact with him were tested negative.

2-  Patient 418 was born in 1959 in Da Nang and lives in Da Nang.  Might be infected on July 5 when in direct contact with patients in Intensive Care and Anti-Toxic Department of Da Nang Hospital.  Currently in Intensive Care in Da Nang Hospital for pneumonia, tuberculosis, and respiratory failure.  Status: serious condition, on mechanical ventilation through intubation.

3- Patient 419 was born in 2003 in Quang Ngai and lives in Quang Ngai.  Might be infected either July 14 or July 17 when in direct contact and close quarter with patients in two Da Nang Hospitals.  Tested positive, currently under quarantined in Binh Son Medical Center in Quang Ngai.

4- Patient 420 was born in 1949 in Da Nang and lives in Da Nang.  Might or might not be infected in Saigon while visiting daughter at Lac Long Quan building in Q 11 in early July.  First symptoms (fever and chest pain) on July 8 when she was back home in Da Nang.  Two positive tests.  Currently in treatment for bronchitis and UT infection in Da Nang Hospital.

Ciambella wrote:

1- Patient 416 was born in 1963 in Da Nang and lives in Da Nang.  Might be infected on either July 7 or July 16 when in direct contact with patients in Cardiovascular Intervention Department in Da Nang Hospital.  As of July 23, he has been tested 3x in Da Nang with 3 positive results.  All 103 people who were in contact with him were tested negative.

2-  Patient 418 was born in 1959 in Da Nang and lives in Da Nang.  Might be infected on July 5 when in direct contact with patients in Intensive Care and Anti-Toxic Department of Da Nang Hospital.  Currently in Intensive Care in Da Nang Hospital for pneumonia, tuberculosis, and respiratory failure.  Status: serious condition, on mechanical ventilation through intubation.

3- Patient 419 was born in 2003 in Quang Ngai and lives in Quang Ngai.  Might be infected either July 14 or July 17 when in direct contact and close quarter with patients in two Da Nang Hospitals.  Tested positive, currently under quarantined in Binh Son Medical Center in Quang Ngai.

4- Patient 420 was born in 1949 in Da Nang and lives in Da Nang.  Might or might not be infected in Saigon while visiting daughter at Lac Long Quan building in Q 11 in early July.  First symptoms (fever and chest pain) on July 8 when she was back home in Da Nang.  Two positive tests.  Currently in treatment for bronchitis and UT infection in Da Nang Hospital.

That would explain the conflicting information.

In fact, it kind of begs the question: what happened to Patient number 417?

I thought that was a five year old girl reported at the same time as #416?

Anyway, I just got a call from the front desk of my hotel here.

They said that the government wanted to know if I want to stay in Danang or leave?

I told them I feel safest just staying here at this hotel.

They said fine.

Later I was going downstairs and they wanted further information, and it looked like I was set to have to fill out some forms to update my personal information for their report to the government.

So I pulled out my smartphone and showed her that I have the Ministry of Health app and she got a big smile on her face and said "oh I can scan your QR code!"

So she scanned my QR code with her tablet and said "that's it!"

She just asked me to reconfirm my email address.

There is no rule yet about staying inside here.

We are at the level of restriction where we are encouraged to social distance and to avoid crowds of people, wearing masks at all times except when actively eating or drinking in a restaurant.

My restaurant is still open for business and the beaches are not yet closed.

But it's already like a ghost town.

The hotel asked what I plan to do and I said that I'm probably going to stay longer with them because I don't want to go to Hanoi now and be in quarantine.

They were very happy to hear that because no one is coming in as a new customer now.

Bars and spas and karaoke are closed again.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

In fact, it kind of begs the question: what happened to Patient number 417?

I thought that was a five year old girl reported at the same time as #416?

Patient 417 was the 5 year old passenger on the VN Airlines repatriate flight from Russia to Can Tho Airport on July 9.  She was automatically quarantined in Bac Lieu when the flight landed.  On July 10, she tested negative, then negative again on July 16.  On July 24, the result was positive.  She's currently under treatment in Bac Lieu Hospital. 

She was infected outside of the country so the government didn't count that against the 99 day Zero new case record.

Eleven more...

https://vnexpress.net/covid-19-them-11- … 71803.html

To read in English, click on "International" after clicking on that link

All in Danang!

English link: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 37047.html

SteinNebraska wrote:
FabriceVN wrote:

Good thing that the Vietnamese rolled up the streets, eh?  15 cases of community transmission in 3 days.  Seems like Vietnam is taking the right precautions.

How's Nebraska doing?

Vietnamkid wrote:

How's Nebraska doing?

In fact kind of in a plateau.  Neither up or down, but still a lot worse than Vietnam.   Nebraska

All 15 new cases are in Da Nang -- including the one is Quang Ngai with a strong connection to Da Nang.  Specifically, all 15 cases are originated in the 3 hospitals in Da Nang (Da Nang General, Hoan My, and Da Nang C).  It's a duplicate of the hundreds of cases that were born and bred in Bach Mai Hospital in Ha Noi during the first wave of Covid.

+7 today.

This was very predictable, that numbers will add. As long no Patient 0 is found, there is sur more to come

But so far the 22 cases are only in Danang and surroundings. The question is: HCMC or Hanoi will be infected? Not sure. But it would be terrible for Vietnam. Let's see...