Apartment/Long term Room Quy Nhon

Hi All,

Hopefully returning to Vietnam this year subject to borders being open. Have been living in Hoi An for some years and looking at relocating to Quy Nhon and seeking approx rental costs long term. Looking at a small furnished apartment and or room with cooking facilities. Thoughts please.

Ian

Robbo65 wrote:

...Hopefully returning to Vietnam this year subject to borders being open. Have been living in Hoi An for some years and looking at relocating to Quy Nhon and seeking approx rental costs long term. Looking at a small furnished apartment and or room with cooking facilities. Thoughts please...

My first thought is that it will be helpful for you to include all pertinent information together in your inquiry, Ian

For instance, in this post in another thread you say that your budget is ₫30,000,000 VNĐ.

It will also be helpful--especially since you've lived in Vietnam previously--to either say how much of your budget you are willing to spend on lodging and utilities OR more completely describe the features and location you desire.

I would personally describe in detail what I want but hold back my max budget for housing and let other people mention a price first; it's a better negotiating position.

As many expats have mentioned before, the minute you say "I'm willing to pay ₫6 million VNĐ" then that's the price you'll be offered.

You also posted this and this

Robbo65 wrote:

Having lived in VN for a while I am not at all interested in living in an expat area, I used to be a Chef so need somewhere that has reasonable cooking facilities etc, whilst I like to eat out a bit local food is more my thing and dont really crave western style food.

and

Robbo65 wrote:

Hi Colin

Thanks for your info. Wow 15 mill per month thats excellent. I have been living in Hoi An for about 4 years and had to return to Australia briefly, now I am stuck here and cannot return due to Covid.
My plan is to head to QN when borders are open.
Out of interest if you and your wife are living on 15 mill may I ask how much of that is rent ? Some brief research suggests that rents could be around 7-8 per month, would you agree ?

Note that Colin doesn't live in Qui Nhơn.

He's telling you how much it costs for him to live in Vũng Tàu.

Hội An has greatly inflated prices for expats BUT it also has much greater availability of housing and services for expats.

It's going to be much cheaper to live in Qui Nhơn, EXCEPT the rental market is not geared toward foreigners.

Qui Nhơn is primarily a Vietnamese resort city, so general prices are geared toward Vietnamese visitors.

Near the beach, you can get bánh mỳ for ₫10,000 VNĐ.

Prices at the wet markets are the lowest I've encountered in comparison to Đà Nẵng, Hội An, Nha Trang, and Vũng Tàu.

You can get a 1 hour VIP suite massage (private sauna & whirlpool bath included) at the Mường Thanh Hotel for ₫200,000 VNĐ, though I highly recommend 90 minutes for ₫300,000.

But when you attempt to find housing, you'll find that there aren't a lot of landlords looking to rent to you, and the ones who are have inflated prices for foreigners.

While landlords in other cities are desperate for tenants, you don't see that so much in Qui Nhơn, because the rental market was never geared toward foreigners.

However, if it's not important for you to live near the beach or the city center or have a place with a view, AND if you have a Vietnamese person to assist you, you can certainly find a room with an induction plate and a small refrigerator for upwards of 2.5 to 4 million VNĐ.

You are doing what a lot of people do when they post on here and that's failing to give us any specifics and just talking in vague generalities.

So I'm going to guess that once you get more specific with us you're probably looking at finding a place between 5 and 6 million, depending upon how much you want to spend and how nice you want it to be and how long a lease you are willing to sign and how much deposit you are willing to put down.

Also, we only have a few people from that area who monitor this forum very frequently (are you there, Mark???)

You will get a much more engaged conversation in one of the two Facebook groups for "Quy Nhơn expats" or "expats in Quy Nhơn".

FYI, both spellings are acceptable.

I use "Qui Nhơn" because that's what many government sources and Vietnam Airlines uses:

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2021/01/screenshot_20210121-075535_vietnamairlines.jpg

I and a number of other expats who live or have lived in Qui Nhơn highly recommend the services of a local woman who will go and help negotiate things for you, without actually being an agent, So you only pay her for hourly help.

Ask about that in one of the FB groups and someone will certainly recommend her, although she doesn't do long distance consultations in advance.

You hire her once you actually arrive in town.

Good luck!

Many thanks for your reply. Will take all of this onboard

I and a number of other expats who live or have lived in Qui Nhơn highly recommend the services of a local woman who will go and help negotiate things for you, without actually being an agent, So you only pay her for hourly help.

do you have a name and number for that woman? 

anyways, what I would do is just rent a hotel by the month at first...they start around 4m/mo.  i'm pretty sure any of the lower-end hotels would work out such a deal, and right now they are mostly pret4ty desperate...you can buy an induction or similar electric range for like 20 bucks...  you don't have to worry about utilities, and you could get one very close to the sea (in QN you want to be as close to the sea as possible, for a multitude of reasons, including sometimes horrendous mosquitoes in some parts of the town near the various bodies of water)

i would also highly recommend sticking to the southern part of town, near the university or maybe even close to Ghenh Rang Market....cleaner, quieter, less congested, much better fresh air and ocean breezes, no mosquitoes at all, and a neighborly feel too, and it is also the best part of the beach.  the downtown of QN is kind of gross, and the areas north, east and west of the downtown are mostly pretty bad from what I've seen.  Near Ho Sinh Thai (lake) might be ok too, but you could forget walking to the beach from there for the most part...

Bruce_M wrote:

do you have a name and number for that woman?

Send me a PM and I'll tell you how to contact Khanh