How to keep your things safe in an Airbnb or apartment

Hi,

This may be naive or plain stupid, but I'm gonna ask anyways.   :)

I will be traveling with my laptop, camera, etc.  I've always stayed at hotels in Vietnam and would leave my laptop with the receptionist when out. 

I am considering staying at an Airbnb and want to know if it's safe to leave my valuables in the apartment when I'm out.   

Please let me know what your experiences with leaving valuable things in an Airbnb when out.  I appreciate learning from your experiences.

Thank you,

VNK

I never had any issues leaving valuables in an airbnb apartment. I feel safer if its one that has a key lock rather than a digital pin code. You donhewr stories where people check out and then return a few days later using the ssme pin code

I've been travelling Asia for 10 years, never had a problem. I have a Pacsafe portable safe that I use in conjunction with a hotel safe etc.
Keep in mind this only keeps the honest thieves out. Your valuables can be takin from any type of accomadation.

Personally, I stick to physically small laptops I can bung into a backpack and keep with me. There's no way I'd trust hotel rooms and so on where security might well be limited and staff are likely to be low paid.
However, I have yet to see a quack about the state of my head so I may just be paranoid.

At home, I know who has keys to my place.  Myself and one other person.

I don't know who has keys to an Airbnb.

Furthermore, I can leave my place in the suburb of San Diego for months without problems.  There are no bars on the windows

There's a reason the Vietnamese have bars on their windows and iron gates in front of their homes. 

If the locals are taking precautions, then it would be wise to follow their lead.

Vietnamkid wrote:

Hi,

I will be traveling with my laptop, camera, etc.  I've always stayed at hotels in Vietnam and would leave my laptop with the receptionist when out. 

I am considering staying at an Airbnb and want to know if it's safe to leave my valuables in the apartment when I'm out.   

Please let me know what your experiences with leaving valuable things in an Airbnb when out.  I appreciate learning from your experiences.

Thank you,

VNK

Hi Tri,

Since you are by your own account "Viet Kieu", I assume you will have a great leg up when acquiring safe and affordable accommodations here by virtue of your command of the Vietnamese language?

In general, I feel safer in Vietnamese hotels and motel's than I did when staying in places on Hotel Circle in Mission Valley.

Accommodations at Airbnbs in Vietnam are notoriously overpriced, as Airbnb is not a service widely used by Vietnamese citizens.

You will be paying a rate about 2 to 4 times what a Vietnamese citizen would pay for similar accommodations.

So maybe you will manage to keep your laptop safe, but you'll pay a premium in rent.

Best to come here with reservations at an inexpensive hotel for 3 days.

That gives you the flexibility to change to another location if you have picked a place you don't like.

With your feet on the ground here you can explore neighborhoods where you might want to live longer.

There are internet resources available only in the Vietnamese language where you can find properties (rentals) being marketed to Vietnamese citizens at fair market rates.

Since you are a lawyer, you might feel the need to arrange everything ahead of time, from a distance.

However, my gut tells me you will get a better, safer deal by waiting till you arrive and can have face-to-face meetings with prospective landlords, without needing to go through any type of agent.

Vietnamkid wrote:

At home, I know who has keys to my place.  Myself and one other person.

I don't know who has keys to an Airbnb.

Furthermore, I can leave my place in the suburb of San Diego for months without problems.  There are no bars on the windows

There's a reason the Vietnamese have bars on their windows and iron gates in front of their homes. 

If the locals are taking precautions, then it would be wise to follow their lead.

Even with bars on the windows, security lights & a gate, came back from coffee one night to this at our first house in Tay Ninh! Needless to say none of the neighbors saw or heard a thing, it was outdoor karaoke night as I remember.

https://i.postimg.cc/CZPdX7ZQ/safe-1.png

goodolboy wrote:

Even with bars on the windows, security lights & a gate, came back from coffee one night to this at our first house in Tay Ninh!

What did they do to the safe?  In the photo, it looks like there's a burn mark, but safe can't be burned, can it?

Ciambella wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Even with bars on the windows, security lights & a gate, came back from coffee one night to this at our first house in Tay Ninh!

What did they do to the safe?  In the photo, it looks like there's a burn mark, but safe can't be burned, can it?

sledge hammer marks & pinch bar I think. They caught them (5 people) 4 weeks later but of course everything including 20 gold Krugerrand coins was gone never to return.

Just as a matter of interest for them that think there is a very low police presence in Vietnam, its not exactly what you might think. That night there were 3 policemen in uniform incl the head guy came to the house & there were also at least 10 plain clothes guys too not well dressed like they were just normal workers or what ever & one of them certainly came across as in charge. Of course me not speaking Vietnamese I did not have a clue what was being discussed but I do remember they were struggling coming to terms that the Krugerrand coins were worth more than 1,200usd each at that time.

goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

sledge hammer marks & pinch bar I think. They caught them (5 people) 4 weeks later but of course everything including 20 gold Krugerrand coins was gone never to return.

Just as a matter of interest for them that think there is a very low police presence in Vietnam, its not exactly what you might think. That night there were 3 policemen in uniform incl the head guy came to the house & there were also at least 10 plain clothes guys too not well dressed like they were just normal workers or what ever & one of them certainly came across as in charge. Of course me not speaking Vietnamese I did not have a clue what was being discussed but I do remember they were struggling coming to terms that the Krugerrand coins were worth more than 1,200usd each at that time.

Lots of police work as plain clothes officers. Plenty of police, but not a lot gets done without greasing the wheel. Many locals don't go to police as they know it will cost them.

It dies appear in a lot if crimes here, a little coffee money goes a long way.

I keep a bank safety deposit box

Even big dogs are no longer a deterent...

Jlgarbutt wrote:

It dies appear in a lot if crimes here, a little coffee money goes a long way.

Not always a little. Also if the perpetrator of a crime gets the cash to the right person, no charges will be laid.
My ex-gf found this out first hand when a thief who stole a laptop was caught and paid their way out.

goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

I can't understand why anyone would leave $25,000 worth of gold in a domestic safe in any country! This was not a random robbery, surely you were targeted because they knew you had something worth stealing.
Personally I've only ever been robbed while living in a middle class area of a western city, where the thieves assume there are rich pickings to be had.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

I can't understand why anyone would leave $25,000 worth of gold in a domestic safe in any country! This was not a random robbery, surely you were targeted because they knew you had something worth stealing.
Personally I've only ever been robbed while living in a middle class area of a western city, where the thieves assume there are rich pickings to be had.

exactly, why would someone keep them? And where do u think a thief is going to look? The last place I would keep them is a safe, hide them elsewhere.
My friend in Thailand never had an issue u til he bought a big safe, wheeled it into the condo building, guess what the locals thought? Must have something valuable to be bringing that in, first time away from the condo, guess what happened?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Vietnamkid wrote:

Hi,

Thank you,

VNK

Hi Tri,

Since you are by your own account "Viet Kieu", I assume you will have a great leg up when acquiring safe and affordable accommodations here by virtue of your command of the Vietnamese language?

In general, I feel safer in Vietnamese hotels and motel's than I did when staying in places on Hotel Circle in Mission Valley.

Accommodations at Airbnbs in Vietnam are notoriously overpriced, as Airbnb is not a service widely used by Vietnamese citizens.

You will be paying a rate about 2 to 4 times what a Vietnamese citizen would pay for similar accommodations.

So maybe you will manage to keep your laptop safe, but you'll pay a premium in rent.

Best to come here with reservations at an inexpensive hotel for 3 days.

That gives you the flexibility to change to another location if you have picked a place you don't like.

With your feet on the ground here you can explore neighborhoods where you might want to live longer.

There are internet resources available only in the Vietnamese language where you can find properties (rentals) being marketed to Vietnamese citizens at fair market rates.

Since you are a lawyer, you might feel the need to arrange everything ahead of time, from a distance.

However, my gut tells me you will get a better, safer deal by waiting till you arrive and can have face-to-face meetings with prospective landlords, without needing to go through any type of agent.

Hi OB,

As a fellow San Diegan, I appreciate your help.

I have family in Danang and Hoi An.  I don't want to rely on them for help since they have busy lives.

I can speak Vietnamese, but not read or write it very well.

I have a Mien Thi Thuc.  I do not have Vietnamese citizenship, nor do I want it. 

Recently, I ended a 10 years relationship, so it seems like the perfect time to retire to Vietnam.  I am trying to get my financial, digital mailbox, VOIP phone, etc. sorted out before moving.

Hopefully, the Vietnamese borders will reopen soon.  I don't expect Americans will be allowed to enter Vietnam this year due to our high Covid-19 numbers.

I am looking at looking at Airbnb for my first month in Danang because I expect to be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival. 

Thank you again for your help.  I hope we can meet up.

VNK

Malcolmleitrim wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Well, you obviously have limited exposure to real life in Vietnam. A high proportion of houses (not apartments) in the country & the city here have safes & I bet some of them have a lot more gold stashed in them than 25kusd. Why do you think there are so many shops selling safes here?

But you are right, it was really stupid & just being a Westerner & having a wife at that time who liked to show her new found wealth to everyone in a 10km radius made the new house with the car in the driveway a target. I did try to explain that to her please believe me!
But as a matter of interest 4 other houses in the area (all Vietnamese families) safes were robbed that night too, so I suppose not only the foreigner was stupid!!!

Canman62 wrote:
Malcolmleitrim wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

exactly, why would someone keep them? And where do u think a thief is going to look? The last place I would keep them is a safe, hide them elsewhere.
My friend in Thailand never had an issue u til he bought a big safe, wheeled it into the condo building, guess what the locals thought? Must have something valuable to be bringing that in, first time away from the condo, guess what happened?

All good advice in hindsight but any Westerner living in a village here automatically "is rich" so could be a target. At that time I relied on my Vietnamese wife advice & she was quite happy keeping her own family gold & jewelry in the safe so what the heck & she had as much as me taken that night!
Thinking positively it makes a good story swinging the lamp in the pub & on the rig at that time :lol:

goodolboy wrote:
Malcolmleitrim wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Well, you obviously have limited exposure to real life in Vietnam. A high proportion of houses (not apartments) in the country & the city here have safes & I bet some of them have a lot more gold stashed in them than 25kusd. Why do you think there are so many shops selling safes here?

But you are right, it was really stupid & just being a Westerner & having a wife at that time who liked to show her new found wealth to everyone in a 10km radius made the new house with the car in the driveway a target. I did try to explain that to her please believe me!
But as a matter of interest 4 other houses in the area (all Vietnamese families) safes were robbed that night too, so I suppose not only the foreigner was stupid!!!

When in a new country you are guided by the people around you.

Next time, please consult with Malcolm.

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Malcolmleitrim wrote:

When in a new country you are guided by the people around you.

Next time, please consult with Malcolm.

I understand your story, I can just picture it, the Vietnamese wife, the new found wealth, boasting to the neighbours etc. I always try to let people know I am not worth robbing.
I suppose there are so many shops selling safes because the Vietnamese don't trust the banks either. I must say in my limited experience of Vietnam, it seems to be fairly crime free compared to a lot of European cities.

OK, I'll try again. I was just about finished with my reply when my young-teen daughter barged in about a yoga site she 'needed' to check, and my message was gone.

As I had said, we lived in an upmarket area in D7 in Saigon for five years (four-storey, multiple-bedroom house) and didn't have a car (we had a driver). We never got burgled, though our neighbours left, right and across the road, did. They all installed safety cameras after that.

Our maid explained that foreigners don't keep cash or jewellery in the house, that's why they aren't a prime target -- they keep them in banks or overseas. There are no easy pickings for off-selling, not enough money in stealing TVs. So burglars don't bother unless there's a Vietnamese partner involved, in which case there could be easy money to be found somewhere in the house.

And yes, I've been intrigued (and amused) by the streets selling home safes, like the street out to the airport specialising in sewing machines. If a home safe isn't a clear target, I don't know what is :-)

Rob