Direct Commercial Flight to the United States with Vietnam Airlines

(Part of an email today from the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi)

Direct Commercial Flight to the United States with Vietnam Airlines – U.S. Embassy Hanoi and U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (May 8, 2020)

Important Information for U.S. Citizens:

U.S. Embassy Hanoi and Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City advise U.S. citizens that Vietnam Airlines is offering a direct flight from Hanoi to Washington-Dulles (IAD) on May 15This flight was previously scheduled for May 10 and has been moved to May 15. This flight is only available to U.S. citizens. The ticket price will be $1000.00 USD. Please note that dates and times are subject to change by Vietnam Airlines. If you are interested in taking this flight, please complete THIS FORM by 12:00 p.m. noon, Tuesday, May 12.  On May 12, we will notify those interested in the flight of payment and confirmation instructions.

**If you have already registered your interest in the May 10 flight, there is no need to sign up for the May 15 flight.  Your information has been saved

That is potentially a really big backtrack for most people.  It would b nice if they made a stopover and let people depart at LAX or SFO even if the price was the same.

THIGV wrote:

That is potentially a really big backtrack for most people.  It would b nice if they made a stopover and let people depart at LAX or SFO even if the price was the same.

I believe there's also a flight from HAN to LAX a week or so later.

THIGV wrote:

I'm not sure where I posted it (it may have been in the middle of one of the other threads) but they already provided the flight to the West Coast at the same time they originally scheduled this one for the East Coast.

Apparently what happened was they filled up the West Coast offer and not as many people accepted this one.

So now it's being rescheduled in an attempt to get more people to take it.

At least that's my take.

The difference now is they're actually stating a firm price of $1,000.

Before they said they were going to wait until they saw how many people wanted to sign up before they would state the price.

I'm guessing they're making this one a firm flight that won't be rescheduled because it flies from the city of their national capital to the city of our national capital and will probably have some Embassy and Consulate personnel on board.

I also guess it's going to be a big pain for anybody wanting to go to the West Coast if they take that flight, but whatever flight you take you're going to end up in quarantine in the United States right?

I'm honestly asking...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I also guess it's going to be a big pain for anybody wanting to go to the West Coast if they take that flight, but whatever flight you take you're going to end up in quarantine in the United States right?

I'm honestly asking...

Apparently not.  Quarantine is only "requested" in most US states.  Entry is forbidden from a list of countries but the list does not include Vietnam.   Some states have "at home" quarantine for their own residents.  https://pandemic.internationalsos.com/2 … -screening

Sadly it seems that the US will soon be testing the "herd immunity" hypothesis soon as many states are lifting stay at home restrictions.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 … virus.html  Vietnam may already be a safer place than the US and the distinction may only get worse for the US.

If I was at the retirement age, I would head to VN to retire and not be the guinea pig for the herd immunity test. Was going to retire early in about 5 years but not sure if that's possible now that the economy has gone to the dumps!

$1000 direct flight isn't a bad price considering they probably won't be able to fill the plane with people wanting to returning to a hot spot country!

I should clarify that "herd immunity" is not the official goal of the US administration.  It is, however, the assessment of medical professionals that if the country lifts all or most restrictions, cases will continue to rise until about a 70% infection rate is reached.  Based on known cases, the US is presently at around a 0.45% infection rate (including recovered and dead patients).  Based on the US failure to test, you probably could at least triple that number, but it is still a long way from 70%.

The testings are so small comparing to the size of the country. They've thrown around the term herd immunity in this country, even the WH!

I had an appointment to get a Covid test yesterday and I got there early but there were miles of cars waiting to get into the park where they were doing drive through testings! Even if we had enough test which we do not, they need to have many more testing sites than 6 drive through for Los Angeles. The hospitals are not performing tests unless you have symptoms. With businesses starting to open, infections are going to shoot up since people don't know if they are asymptomatic or not.

qnbui wrote:

The testings are so small comparing to the size of the country. They've thrown around the term herd immunity in this country, even the WH!

I had an appointment to get a Covid test yesterday and I got there early but there were miles of cars waiting to get into the park where they were doing drive through testings! Even if we had enough test which we do not, they need to have many more testing sites than 6 drive through for Los Angeles. The hospitals are not performing tests unless you have symptoms. With businesses starting to open, infections are going to shoot up since people don't know if they are asymptomatic or not.

Then people should be locked in their homes until they have a passport to walk out their front door...