Covid19- one time payment

Hello Expats,

A friend of mine has just received Social Security from the US Goverment.
By the way, thanks for all advice from this group.

I wonder is she eligable to receive the one time Covid from the Goverment.

Her status is this :  Vietnam passport, son has American Passport. Her former partner
is from the USA but passed away. She had direct debit account. Her son is 9 years old.

Any info would be appreciated greatly.

Steve

Does she have a Social Security number?  If not, here's the Q&A for her case:

"Q: I don't have a Social Security number. Can I still get an economic impact payment?

A: In almost all cases, a person is only eligible to receive an economic impact payment if they have a Social Security number (SSN).

One exception to this is if you're a member of the military and file a married tax return. Your spouse isn't required to have a SSN for you to get the stimulus payment.

Another exception, in the case of a child under age 17, is if the child is adopted and has an “adoption taxpayer identification number” (ATIN) they can be claimed for the purpose or receiving the $500 per child payment."

BTW, did she receive SS payment as surviving benefits for spousal (meaning she was married to her partner) or on behalf of her son?

Hi Ciambella,

Thanks much.

Yes, she's received social security as child benefit with American passport...not sure what the terminology is. She was not married but lived together.

So no tax returns, pretty sure no social security number. She is the biological mother and her partner the biological father.

Regards

That's survivor benefits for minor children and her son is the beneficiary.  Without a SS number, she doesn't qualify for the $1200 Economic Impact Payments.  As for her son,  I *think* he also doesn't qualify for the $500 payment either because he's not a dependent of a US taxpayer.

Just a side note, you might want investigate further but it is possible that the boy must file US income taxes even if his only income is Social Security.  He is a US citizen and generally speaking obligated to file.  There is a minimum income threshold but I am not sure what it is.  I will let you check on that.  Sometime in early 2021 he will get a Form SSA-1099 listing his annual benefit.  He probably has no tax liability but it could come up if he ever decides to move to the US later in life.

9 years old. Has to file taxes.  :lol:

gobot wrote:

As crazy as that sounds, I think so.  A lot of children of the extremely wealthy in the US have more than enough income to have to file.  I expect they do it with a power of attorney.  There is a way to include the child's income with the parents but that would defeat the purpose for he 0.01% which is to shelter income and maximize annual tax free transfers of wealth

Thanks again guys- great info

gobot wrote:

If dad owned a condo building, he could sell shares to his son well under their purchase price, so it doesn't appear to be a hidden donation, thereby benefiting from a tax write-off. No idea if you can still do this.