Medical

Hi, my partner and i are coming to vung tau in june for 3mths. What i would like to ask is should we pay $300 in aust for typhoid and hep a or wait till we get there and find a clinic or hospital that will do them cheaper than here. Knowing we risk infection in the intron.  Thanks

claudineskilestrung wrote:

Hi, my partner and i are coming to vung tau in june for 3mths. What i would like to ask is should we pay $300 in aust for typhoid and hep a or wait till we get there and find a clinic or hospital that will do them cheaper than here. Knowing we risk infection in the intron.  Thanks

I vote for risking infection.

Not!  :dumbom:

Get the shots yesterday.

Ciambella can expound on the exact numbers, but immunity isn't immediate after getting injections.

So even if you get the injections on arrival, it will still be awhile before you are fully protected.

If necessary I can get a bookie to quote odds for you...

Don't forget that Hep A is two shots 6 months apart.  Finishing that up in AU might be a longer wait than you want to take.  You could take the first shot at home though.  I would add Hep B if you were planning to be in Vietnam longer than 3 months.  The three Hep B shots are the first, one more in one month and one more at month seven.  Hep B is a little harder to contract than Hep A but its effects are more serious and it is rather prevalent in Vietnam, certainly a lot more so than in AU.

Serious question but I've never taken any of these shots.  Never even thought about it.  No Typhoid, Hep A, Hep B.  Is there really an issue?  I've been here a year and a half.  Going home end of the year likely.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Serious question but I've never taken any of these shots.  Never even thought about it.  No Typhoid, Hep A, Hep B.  Is there really an issue?  I've been here a year and a half.  Going home end of the year likely.

The CDC seems to think so:  https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinatio … ne/vietnam  You could pick up food borne Hep A in any restaurant that has infected workers.  Note that there are non-sexual ways to contract Hep B including some medical procedures.  My wife has antibodies for prior Hep B infection and has absolutely no recollection of the disease.  It is may cross the placenta too, but its too late for you to get it that way.  :cool:

Hep B is very common in Vn, around 10 million people have it.

Hep B