Cataract surgery in Vietnam.

I just learned that I will require cataract surgery on one eye. I am in Cần Thơ, and I was told the cost can vary from 7 mil Dong to 30 mil., depending both on the extent of the clouding, and the hospital chosen, whether it's government or private. Anyone undergone this operation here? "" Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I just learned that I will require cataract surgery on one eye. I am in Cần Thơ, and I was told the cost can vary from 7 mil Dong to 30 mil., depending both on the extent of the clouding, and the hospital chosen, whether it's government or private. Anyone undergone this operation here? "" Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
-@thecyclist

There is a Cần Thơ sub forum (link).

Would you like you question/post to specifically appear there?

If so, let us know and we will alert admin and they will move it for you.

Also, there is an old thread on the subject that might contain helpful info (one person said that the procedure was costing 3 million Vietnam dong)

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=934497

..., depending both on the extent of the clouding, ....

@Thecyclist

I don't understand how this affects price.  The entire lens is removed and replaced with an artificial lens as part of the procedure. The extent of the clouding is only a factor in deciding whether to do the operation or not.

You are absolutely right, the extent of the clouding does not affect price. I was trying to make sense of what the doctor explained to me in "Vietnamese" English. I have since been reading up on the subject, and it might have been what she meant, that price depends on the kind of replacement lens you pick. And it certainly depends on the hospital.

I doubt that the Cần Thơ subforum will help much. There aren't that many expats left in Cần Thơ. Thanks for the link to a previous discussion of the subject.

I had cataract lens replacement surgery in 2018 in HCMC and it cost 35mn VND per eye. I went for the more expensive multifocal lens so I don't need to wear glasses or contacts at all.

I suspect if a foreigner wants to know the best price available at any given place for cataract surgery/lens replacement it would be a good idea to have a Vietnamese person call and ask for the price for an aging relative to get the service.

As with many medical services in Vietnam, higher prices can be expected at facilities that specifically market to foreigners and cater to western preferences regarding aesthetics & English language support.