What was Governor Fred Cuomo thinking?

Many states close to New York are watching for cars with New York license plates. Wanting those New Yorkers to be quarantined. Now  Governor Fredo Cuomo of New York wants to sue those states.

:huh:

W9XR wrote:

Many states close to New York are watching for cars with New York license plates. Wanting those New Yorkers to be quarantined. Now  Governor Fredo Cuomo of New York wants to sue those states.

It´s illegal to restrict freedom of movement. What other citizens can really do if they suspect someone from New York having the symptoms of Corona virus is to call law enforcement if they think that that individual is violating quarantine imposed by state governments. You cannot generalize that because someone is from NY she/he does have the COVID-19. Unless of course NY is in total lockdown and they should be home isolating themselves...

robal

robal wrote:
W9XR wrote:

It´s illegal to restrict freedom of movement. What other citizens can really do if they suspect someone from New York having the symptoms of Corona virus is to call law enforcement if they think that that individual is violating quarantine imposed by state governments. You cannot generalize that because someone is from NY she/he does have the COVID-19. Unless of course NY is in total lockdown and they should be home isolating themselves...

robal

Agreed!

:/

the monster is eating its own tail

I thought his name was Andrew Cuomo.

Andrew Mark Cuomo

he was referring to Fredo Corleone  :whistle:

robal wrote:

robal

Robal, that's what is actually happening, the police are not waiting for a phone call, they are proactive stopping autos traveling in their state with NY plates and NY state is in lockdown. 

Still what was Fredo Cuomo thinking when threaten to sue people fleeing?

Philippine Destiny wrote:

he was referring to Fredo Corleone  :whistle:

Exactly Fredo in the Godfather. Governor  Cuomo: I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

W9XR wrote:
robal wrote:

robal

Robal, that's what is actually happening, the police are not waiting for a phone call, they are proactive stopping autos traveling in their state with NY plates and NY state is in lockdown. 

There is no lockdown only a strong advisory against non-essential travel.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-yorks-co … guidelines

According to the US Constitution Article IV Privileges and Immunities Clause other states have no right to stop them.

If anyone has a link to stronger restrictions having been implemented by NY please post, but Cuomo's actions say there is none.

Cuomo is a lawyer so if he says he can sue people he probably has grounds. I just rethought that and sometimes lawyers make vain threats., but not this time I think.

am I wrong?

BUT Cuomo should have declared quarantine.

Philippine Destiny wrote:
W9XR wrote:
robal wrote:

robal

There is no lockdown only a strong advisory against non-essential travel.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-yorks-co … guidelines

According to the US Constitution Article IV Privileges and Immunities Clause other states have no right to stop them.

If anyone has a link to stronger restrictions having been implemented by NY please post, but Cuomo's actions say there is none.

Cuomo is a lawyer so if he says he can sue people he probably has grounds. I just rethought that and sometimes lawyers make vain threats., but not this time I think.

am I wrong?

BUT Cuomo should have declared quarantine.

There´s no quarantine or total lockdown. The metro is working and so are buses, markets and pharmacies...

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/coronavir … usinesses/https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo- … ad-testing

I´m afraid that Cuomo is right. Those other state police should not stop cars with New York plates!

robal

A New York State of Mind… The City That Never Sleeps...maybe a quarantine should indeed have been declared for this unprecedented virus spread!

Governor Cuomo favorability rating is the highest in 7 years: poll

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/governo … 26952.html:D

manwonder wrote:

Governor Cuomo favorability rating is the highest in 7 years: poll

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/governo … 26952.html:D

Yes Fredo's popularity is high among New Yorkers because of all whining and dumping  on Trump. I suppose Fredo would  like cheese with his whine.

Fredo is just positioning himself for the Democrat conventions nomination, a white horse riding in, saving the ticket by replacing Biden or Sanders.

Let me see, when was the last time I was hearing about Siena College? a liberal Arts College in New York State who took the poll?

More like a beacon of light!

"The trouble with too many people is they believe the realm of truth always lies within their vision"--Abraham Lincoln

:D

Things are different today.

Many new restrictions. The new state of affairs will render any potential lawsuits moot.

W9XR was right. Fredo is hosed.

Not sure I understand why. He failed to close the Subway on a timely basis. If you have ever been there in the winter, you know this is a breeding ground for lack of social distance.

manwonder wrote:

Not sure I understand why. He failed to close the Subway on a timely basis. If you have ever been there in the winter, you know this is a breeding ground for lack of social distance.

I lived  in northern Jersey.

It boils down to money and the fact that Cuomo probably did not want to believe that it was as serious as it is.

Hello everyone,

As per the subject being discussed here, please note that this thread which was previously on the wrong forum is now on the New York forum

Thanks,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

W9XR wrote:

This is fake news.

robal wrote:
W9XR wrote:

robal

No, restriction of movement for public safety reasons is NOT illegal. It happens every day. Police or fire department close off areas where they are deployed on a daily basis. There needs to be a reason to close places off or restrict travel and spreading of an infectious disease is an obvious one. I don't know the exact details of the restrictions in place or if they are overly effective or sensible but to say they are illegal is incorrect. People who rant about rights often forget that there is always a balance of competing rights, none is absolute. And public safety is prioritized over freedom of movement. This is the fundamental basis on which there are speed limits and traffic rules, limits on what one can bring on an airplane etc. etc.

TominStuttgart wrote:
W9XR wrote:

This is fake news.

No it's not.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/politi … 934301001/https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol … 934494001/https://www.theday.com/article/20200329/NWS01/200329429https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ … strictions

The Providence Journal reported authorities were already going door to door in summer communities looking for New York license plates and telling people to quarantine for 14 days.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island contended the order violated the Constitution's Fourth Amendment protection against unlawful search, and Cuomo also doubted the legality of the state's move, saying New York might have to sue.

and 500 other sites

and the only person on the Internet saying it is fake is you

TominStuttgart wrote:
robal wrote:
W9XR wrote:

robal

No, restriction of movement for public safety reasons is NOT illegal. It happens every day. Police or fire department close off areas where they are deployed on a daily basis. There needs to be a reason to close places off or restrict travel and spreading of an infectious disease is an obvious one. I don't know the exact details of the restrictions in place or if they are overly effective or sensible but to say they are illegal is incorrect. People who rant about rights often forget that there is always a balance of competing rights, none is absolute. And public safety is prioritized over freedom of movement. This is the fundamental basis on which there are speed limits and traffic rules, limits on what one can bring on an airplane etc. etc.

I´m not referring to general terms. I´m talking about the particular subject which is SARS-CoV-2. It violates due process especially to people who are negative of COVID-19 or to people who already had the virus and already immune to it. That violation of due process falls under the 14th amendment of the Constitution which states:

"No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Stopping in general - all cars with NY license plates is discriminatory and unfair to these particular people driving their cars to visit family members!

robal

robal wrote:
TominStuttgart wrote:
robal wrote:

robal

I´m not referring to general terms. I´m talking about the particular subject which is SARS-CoV-2. It violates due process especially to people who are negative of COVID-19 or to people who already had the virus and already immune to it. That violation of due process falls under the 14th amendment of the Constitution which states:

"No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Stopping in general - all cars with NY license plates is discriminatory and unfair to these particular people driving their cars to visit family members!

robal

No, you are wrong. The measures taken against Covid -19 are public safety ones which can always be done; these are not ongoing State laws which your quote refers to. If a State passed a law saying that say cars from a neighboring state could not be driven there, discriminating only on the basis of a State; it would be unconstitutional. Temporarily banning vehicles from an area that might be bringing in infected people or objects is not. Very different  thing. And such measures are not seen as depriving one of anything; it is a temporary inconvenience for safety. Police also corridor the site of an accident or building if there is a shooter etc.  TSA implements many requirements at airports, all limiting people's freedoms to a point but in the name of safety. I think Cuomo is doing a good job in NY but his reaction to quarantining measure keeping possibly infected people traveling from NY is misguided and not going to work.

TominStuttgart wrote:
robal wrote:
TominStuttgart wrote:

robal

No, you are wrong. The measures taken against Covid -19 are public safety ones which can always be done; these are not ongoing State laws which your quote refers to. If a State passed a law saying that say cars from a neighboring state could not be driven there, discriminating only on the basis of a State; it would be unconstitutional. Temporarily banning vehicles from an area that might be bringing in infected people or objects is not. Very different  thing. And such measures are not seen as depriving one of anything; it is a temporary inconvenience for safety. Police also corridor the site of an accident or building if there is a shooter etc.  TSA implements many requirements at airports, all limiting people's freedoms to a point but in the name of safety. I think Cuomo is doing a good job in NY but his reaction to quarantining measure keeping possibly infected people traveling from NY is misguided and not going to work.

I do understand where you´re coming from but this is not about terrorism or cordoning an area for safety measures. My question would be :

Do ALL OTHER STATES which of course are with the COVID-19 already (except Antartica from a different geography) allowed to drive to that state that stops NY license plates? If yes, then it´s discriminatory and illegal and in violation of due process! W9XR mentioned specifically NY license plates! To be legal
they should stop everyone not having their state license plates!

robal

Well, many places in Europe have set up borders not only with foreign countries but internally as well, only letting local residents into some areas. In the States they could do this as well but by discriminating by State in this limit case they are trying to minimize the impact. But the thing is that not allowing NY vehicles is not just arbitrary because they are from NY but because it is a hotspot area. Of course in a perfect world they would be able to pick out the cars that specifically are at risk but this is just not possible. If your contentions were correct then it would mean that public safety measures would totally undermined. Not going to happen. The other thing is that this is not some kind of permanent situation. Tell all of the people from Muslim countries that have been banned about unfairly singling people out. Whole nationalities banned because a few of them might be terrorists?! The risk of pandemic are actually much higher. Covid-19 has already killed more people in NY city alone than the 99/11 attacks.

robal wrote:
TominStuttgart wrote:
robal wrote:

robal

I do understand where you´re coming from but this is not about terrorism or cordoning an area for safety measures. My question would be :

Do ALL OTHER STATES which of course are with the COVID-19 already (except Antartica from a different geography) allowed to drive to that state that stops NY license plates? If yes, then it´s discriminatory and illegal and in violation of due process! W9XR mentioned specifically NY license plates! To be legal
they should stop everyone not having their state license plates!

robal

- What does Antarctica have to do with how NY handles Corona stay at home regulations?
- Are you a US attorney with a track record of constitutional law?
- Were you in the US during 9/11 and how many friends and family members have you lost?
- How many friends and family members have you lost to Corona?
- What have YOU done to help?

TominStuttgart wrote:

Well, many places in Europe have set up borders not only with foreign countries but internally as well, only letting local residents into some areas. In the States they could do this as well but by discriminating by State in this limit case they are trying to minimize the impact. But the thing is that not allowing NY vehicles is not just arbitrary because they are from NY but because it is a hotspot area. Of course in a perfect world they would be able to pick out the cars that specifically are at risk but this is just not possible. If your contentions were correct then it would mean that public safety measures would totally undermined. Not going to happen. The other thing is that this is not some kind of permanent situation. Tell all of the people from Muslim countries that have been banned about unfairly singling people out. Whole nationalities banned because a few of them might be terrorists?! The risk of pandemic are actually much higher. Covid-19 has already killed more people in NY city alone than the 99/11 attacks.

Tom those were and are restrictions upon issuance of visas. Do you want to go into Greece, Turkey and Hungary now?

TominStuttgart wrote:

The European measures you just stated has been practiced early on - with some states more prepared than others. California (my state) is very prepared with all the equipments needed and has given ventilators to other states. Supply of medical masks has been secured and early lockdown imposed. Riverside county has imposed people in public to wear masks and LA this Friday. What Europeans are doing has been done and going on- with neighboring countries´ border prohibition and some internal areas open only for essentials.

But I would like to point out to you that stopping vehicles of a certain state is not a positive and a viable solution to stop or slow down a spread. EVERY STATE is already infected so what´s the point. The best way would be a nationwide quarantine at once for 2-3 months to deprive the virus of hosts and burn itself out and more medical equipment, medicine and food supply.  Trump has already imposed the Defense Production Act so more medical supplies coming. Stopping vehicles would only put the officer or the passenger involved to more contamination and causes more anxiety and friction on the process. These officers should be more concerned on looting or a breakdown of peace and order. But almost everyone is armed so overall chaos is almost impossible and public safety undermined as you stated. That officer or his superiors should be more concerned to their families´safety - whether
medical or food supply availability and put their entire state OFF LIMITS (quarantine) TO EVERYONE
and not only to residents of NY.

robal

robal wrote:
TominStuttgart wrote:

The European measures you just stated has been practiced early on - with some states more prepared than others. California (my state) is very prepared with all the equipments needed and has given ventilators to other states. Supply of medical masks has been secured and early lockdown imposed. Riverside county has imposed people in public to wear masks and LA this Friday. What Europeans are doing has been done and going on- with neighboring countries´ border prohibition and some internal areas open only for essentials.

But I would like to point out to you that stopping vehicles of a certain state is not a positive and a viable solution to stop or slow down a spread. EVERY STATE is already infected so what´s the point. The best way would be a nationwide quarantine at once for 2-3 months to deprive the virus of hosts and burn itself out and more medical equipment, medicine and food supply.  Trump has already imposed the Defense Production Act so more medical supplies coming. Stopping vehicles would only put the officer or the passenger involved to more contamination and causes more anxiety and friction on the process. These officers should be more concerned on looting or a breakdown of peace and order. But almost everyone is armed so overall chaos is almost impossible and public safety undermined as you stated. That officer or his superiors should be more concerned to their families´safety - whether
medical or food supply availability and put their entire state OFF LIMITS (quarantine) TO EVERYONE

robal

Your lack of understanding of legal gun ownership in NY, NYC, NJ, RI and surrounding US states is fascinating and unfortunately wide spread.
Maybe where you are military and law enforcement put themselves and their families first.

twostep wrote:
robal wrote:
TominStuttgart wrote:

robal

Your lack of understanding of legal gun ownership in NY, NYC, NJ, RI and surrounding US states is fascinating and unfortunately wide spread.
Maybe where you are military and law enforcement put themselves and their families first.

Don´t people buy guns to prevent violence and preserve order? Stopping NY cars is not a wise and efficient use of manpower. They could be used for security somewhere else. That is what I´m trying to say. The addition of families´ concern was just to amplify my message that there are more pressing matters to attend to. Don´t take it literally.

robal

Not sure why this thread suddenly has anything to do with guns?! Anyway, whether blockading roads is effective is certainly questionable - but legal. With an unprecedented situation officials are a bit floundering with which measures are most effective and practical and things are changing all of the time. But for people to start crying about personal freedoms and thinking these take absolute priority over public health measures only ties the hands of officials as to what they can do. Like I mentioned before that not all cars are stopped is to minimize the spread while minimizing the disruption. And while all States have cases of Covid-19, they are not all hotspots. NY City certainly is; many more cases and deaths than in all of Germany. than in all of Germany

On a lighter note, fake cops are stopping cars to have a surge of excitement and power:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat … 099762002/

Do you have this in Stuttgart?