Moving to New York soon, millions of questions...

Hello everyone!

I just accepted an offer at Columbia University medical center as a postdoctoral research scientist to start in October!

Currently I live in Turkey, I've been to New York once for a week but as a tourist so that's a bit different.

I have a couple of questions.

1. How long does it take to find an apartment? I'm planning to fly there 10 days before my contract begins, I hope I can find something before I start working?

2. I was told that my gross salary will be 41K. What would be my net salary? That would be an important factor when looking for an apartment and determining my limit for the rent?

3. I'll be working at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, very close to the 168 St - Washington Heights metro stop. Is it a safe neighborhood to live? I'd prefer living somewhere more central but I'm not sure how much I can afford spending on the rent? I know I should be on the west side of Manhattan to get to work without any cross-town travel.

4. Before I come to NYC, I have to arrange somewhere to stay for the first 1-2 weeks. DO you have any recommendations on that?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on your appointment.I hope you will find this useful.
They pay salaries after every two weeks here in USA..If your GROSS is 41k,it means that after Federal Tax,Social Security Tax,Medicaid and NY tax you may get about $ 1200 after every two weeks.This is what an average newyorker earns.

The neighbourhood is very expensive,you may want to get a roomate and share costs or you may want to live in New Jersey and commute using trains or NJ transit buses which are very efficient.Yes you could get an apartment within 10 days or alternatively I know of places where you could pay $ 125 per week.This includes accomodation and all the utilities,If you are interested I could send to you the links.This may be an ideal place until you are able to decide where to live.In the meantime you may need to spend about @5 daily for local transport to and from work.

Feel free to send to me an email [email protected] 

Regards

Seth

I hope that was useful.