Loooooooooong Distance Relationship, does it really work?

Life's circumstances subjected me to this LDR thingie, kind of a dilemma. To those in the same page, what do you think, would it survive?  To those who aren't would you consider? Advice, suggestions, anyone?

If he  is from the caribbean....forget it...fidelity lasts
Until the next sunrise!

My husband (from Ireland) and I had a long-distance relationship for 4 years before he finally moved to the US. Long distance relationships are tons and tons of work, but if you want it, it's worth it. It's so difficult to not be able to spend time with or even just see someone you love, whenever you want to. But since you can't, you have to make time for each other and talk to each other, which builds a really strong relationship.

Good luck!! :)

Well said, thanks a lot Mrrrrrow!

I'm in one now and it's working ok but we visit each other often and knew each other before this long distance phase started. It helps that we're not many time zones apart and the flight is less than 4 hours.

you've got to trust each other, and communicate as much as possible. Skype is so useful!

I would be wary of starting a long-distance relationship, but the reality of life today (especially for people on an expat website such as this one) is that life sometimes a relationship that was started when you were both in the same city has to have long distance phases. If the person is right for you, you've just got to make it work.

ECS, thanks for the insight. 

We were together for 3 years when a situation called for one, to move some place else.
I sort of started a new career, teaching English abroad just to be near and be with this person.  I was travelling back and forth to Europe since I don't plan to move where he is. Now after 2 years of doing it, I kind of got tired of the situation and decided to stay put. So now I'm here, he's there, hence LDR; and hopefully can withstand the test of time.

Nope...One has to decide to move to the other's location to be together...that's the only way 2 people can grow and live life in 3D. Otherwise, it will just be an illusion.

[Moderated: Off topic]