Santa Catarina

I am an Afghan living in Turkey with my wife and kids and plan on moving to Santa Catarina. I would like know about the safety level, business opportunities, private affordable schools, rent prices and areas to live as a foreigner in Santa Catarina. Kindly help me out with this information.

Hello.

If you and your family are coming to Brazil as refugees under UN auspices, you'll be referred to a Brazilian refugee settlement organization for placement.  Unless you already are a fluent Portuguese speaker, you would be wise to accept any aid and orientation they offer:  this is effectively a monolingual country, and you will not obtain employment unaided, especially in a smaller state like Santa Catarina.

If you plan to try coming on your own, you basically must have an employment contract already signed with a Brazilian employer; otherwise, you will not receive a visa that will allow you to work.  If you try to come on a tourist visa, you will not be allowed to work,  to rent an apartment, or to open a bank account.  You should NOT try to overstay illegally:  the fines are high, and you eventually will be sent back.

I'm sorry to be discouraging, but it's important to understand the situation here, and the chances of success.  Brazil was already hard pressed with the Venezuelan refugee crisis, and looking hard at overstays and people coming into the country who might be planning to overstay, before the coronavirus emergency hit.  Now, the country has closed its land borders, and will be scrutinizing any potential visitors even more closely than usual.