Clothing, General life essential !

Hi beautiful people.

we will be moving to Hanoi this summer. We are coming from the UK and never have been to VND.

so, I need your opinion on this one!

Do you think we should do all our clothes shopping prior to arrival or we get some high-quality clothing at a good price!?

we often shop brands (average brands) but when is properly discounted HAHA.
saying that not really keen on brands but quality really matters.

reza.ghnvt wrote:

Hi beautiful people.

we will be moving to Hanoi this summer. We are coming from the UK and never have been to VND.

so, I need your opinion on this one!

Do you think we should do all our clothes shopping prior to arrival or we get some high-quality clothing at a good price!?

we often shop brands (average brands) but when is properly discounted HAHA.
saying that not really keen on brands but quality really matters.

If you have some fashion items of which you really like the style (shirts, etc) bring just one item of each thing and tailors anywhere in the country will duplicate them for you with your choice of fabric, although the best fabric is in Thailand.

Or just come with the clothes on your back and show them a photo of what you want and they will measure you and make it.

It helps to wait for a Vietnamese friend to recommend a tailor away from the tourist areas who is willing to work for you at Vietnamese prices. Otherwise you will pay double or more in places like Hội An as a foreigner.

Hanoi has many, many tailors, Especially in the old town Hoàn Kiếm district.

You will pay more for a tailor in that area who speaks English.

Convenience at a premium

Aside from two pairs of quality sandals that came with me 10 months ago, my VN wardrobe consists entirely of lightweight knock-offs from local markets, at a cost of approximately peanuts, if you charm the lovely market ladies. And you have to, they are beautiful demons and will rob you blind if you let them.  :D

But, if branded stuff is your thing, there are loads of big name stores in all the cities and malls. Expect to pay about the same ludicrous prices you would back in the UK.

If you're on the larger side, you may need to hunt about a bit, or frequent curtain shops instead, and improvise.

If you are picky, then I suggest you bring the clothes that you like.  Your chance of finding what you like in Vietnam will be slim, for the taste and fit here are very different and the fabric quality is poor.  If you're fortunate enough to find an article that fits your taste, be very careful with the craftsmanship, for it is a manufacturer's reject.  As for the brands that have their retail shops here, because of tax, their prices are higher than back home.

Best wishes.

You can have clothing tailored to you if you want but if you just want to buy off the rack, it depends on your size. If you are tall, wide or both, you might have difficulty finding good fitting clothes. If you have giant feet, you might also have difficulty finding shoes that fit. I am average for western size and some shirts will fit me OK but others, the arms are so tight that I can't wear them. Guess that's what happens when I don't try them out before buying. Hopefully covid will drop in the UK by then and you will be allowed to come in. I'm in Los Angeles and without some miracle vaccines, no one will want visitors from the US!