Medication in Malaysia

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like Malaysia with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Malaysia?

Would you have said that in Malaysia drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

In general, not only does Malaysia have an excellent quality of healthcare, but it also has most of the important medicines that you would ever expect to need. In fact, now that I live in Indonesia, I often top up on some basic painkillers and medicines that are far more difficult or impossible to find where I live.

Are you bust? Most difficult medicine to find is hormone medicine for pregnant. If got, the price quiet expensive . And some painkillers also difficult to find.

"Are you bust?" = Are you bankrupt?

Is that what you are trying to ask?

My wife got hormone medicine for pregnancy easily at Gleneagles Hospital and also at Tong Shin Hospital. I don't remember the price but for average people I guess it was affordable enough.

For painkillers, it completely depends on what kind of painkillers you are looking for. The ones that I have always purchased in KL we Arcoxia (available as 60mg, 90mg & 120mg and these are actually actually available over the counter in some pharmacies but require a prescription at some other pharmacies. I stopped using Arcoxia and switched to using Voltaren tablets as they are less volatile. These are painkillers used after spinal surgery (slipped Disc) and knee surgery to remove damaged cartilage.

You may be referring to other painkillers that I am not familiar with.

But what I found in Malaysia is that the medicines are usually authentic and original from reputable brands, whereas so many painkillers in places like Indonesia are generic and do not always work and often have side effects.

Not in malaysia lah bro,i from indonesia

Most difficult medicine to find is hormone medicine for pregnant. If got, the price quiet expensive . And some painkillers also difficult to

It is quite easy to find medicine here in Malaysia unless they are prescription drugs

I also think it's easy to get medicines in Malaysia. Expensive depends on your job level and income.