Medical Insurance

Hello everyone,

I am planning to retire in Malaysia in less than a year and I start looking at health insurance policies. for myself, my wife and daughter. my daughter is 20 years old and myself and my wife are mid fifties. I looked at Pacific cross and others and these policies can cost more than 15k US a year.
This is as expensive as in US. any suggestion of what health insurance companies to try and any suggestion on the type of policy.

Thank you in advance

Fred

Hi
Please refer great eastern insurance company that live the great life

Hi sir/mam ,
I give the contact number of agent to explain about which policy to suitable and the agent name is MR.PRABU and the contact number 0183540629.
Thank you.

Do some reading at least before u get advice from any agent. Link below.

https://howtofinancemoney.com/best-medi … d-malaysia

I don't know why you are getting quotations of US$15k per year, that's way way too much. Malaysia has very reasonably priced medical insurance. You can either use an agent as I did or else just contact any of the large insurance firms in Malaysia such as Tokio Marine, Great Eastern, Hong Leong, Pacific Insurance, AXA, AIA, Prudential etc.

When I lived in Malaysia the last company that my agent recommenced and the one that I used for several years was Pacific Insurance. I was mid fifties, wife late twenties, two young kids at kindergarten. We paid around RM4,600 per year for the whole family including private room. In my early fifties we were paying around RM3,600 per year totally.

When I was hospitalized for spinal surgery in 2014 with a bill of RM20,000, I simply presented my insurance card to accounting and the entire bill was paid directly by Pacific Insurance.

Shill88 wrote:

I don't know why you are getting quotations of US$15k per year, that's way way too much. Malaysia has very reasonably priced medical insurance. You can either use an agent as I did or else just contact any of the large insurance firms in Malaysia such as Tokio Marine, Great Eastern, Hong Leong, Pacific Insurance, AXA, AIA, Prudential etc.

When I lived in Malaysia the last company that my agent recommenced and the one that I used for several years was Pacific Insurance. I was mid fifties, wife late twenties, two young kids at kindergarten. We paid around RM4,600 per year for the whole family including private room. In my early fifties we were paying around RM3,600 per year totally.

When I was hospitalized for spinal surgery in 2014 with a bill of RM20,000, I simply presented my insurance card to accounting and the entire bill was paid directly by Pacific Insurance.

Thank you for the post Shill.  I was wondering about that US$15k amount too.  At first I thought he really meant ringgit. :-)  That said, I read an article in the early part of last year that said medical premiums were expected to rise as much as 30% in 2020 due to healthcare cost inflation.  Whether that happened I don't know.  Regardless, it's still relatively cheap.

Yes it would still be cheap in my opinion even if the premiums did increase by 30%, but who knows if it will increase that much. Still a lot less than I am now paying for private medical insurance in Indonesia.

By the way, the advantage of using an agent is that they will know which company is offering the best price and they may also be able to get a better price than if you were to approach an insurance company yourself. Mine also took care of my car insurance too including the discount for no claims.

Shill88~ Do you know if Health Insurance Premiums could be applied as "Approved Medical Costs" in making withdrawals from the MM2H Fixed Deposit?

I've never checked on that question, but I doubt that it would be included. Also, if you have medical insurance then most hospitalization costs are going to be covered anyway. I guess that it is meant for those with long term disability or medical issues. However, it's worth checking out or maybe someone else knows the answer.

Can't figure out how to delete a post, soooo, see below.

ladivo779 wrote:

Yes it would still be cheap in my opinion even if the premiums did increase by 30%, but who knows if it will increase that much. Still a lot less than I am now paying for private medical insurance in Indonesia.

By the way, the advantage of using an agent is that they will know which company is offering the best price and they may also be able to get a better price than if you were to approach an insurance company yourself. Mine also took care of my car insurance too including the discount for no claims.

Where do you find a good agent? What agent do you use?

[moderated]

bayarsini, you look like a phishing bot. Not biting.

This is is from the gov page, the list of licensed agents. Does anybody have someone they like here?

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/compon … &id=20

Im fully covered in US but have nothing in Malaysia where I pay cash. The reason is that I read the fine print. Assuming its still the case, Malaysian policies are annual so that the company can choose not to continue insuring a person AND that procedures are one-time only. So the person having the spinal surgery wouldnt be covered for the same or related procedures again. When I was applying at various companies and wrote down my health history, any and all of previous maladies were excluded from coverage. You had flu five years ago, so the entire respiratory system is excluded from your new policy. Thus over time, you get less and less coverage as you build up a medical history while paying more for aging (on the assumption they even keep you). So I said no. Obviously, you need protection but I added it up. If I need a procedure that costs RM15,000 and pay cash, its actually cheaper than a few years of the premiums and if its really serious, I fly to US. The insurance system here needs to advance (and maybe it is has among some companies) but westerners make the mistake of believing coverage here is the same as at home. Ask questions and read fine print before making decisions, thats all im saying. There might be suitable policies out there but I didnt find one among several companies. "International" insurance IS more suitable but the premiums can break the bank for a lot of people. For those with larger families, there may be no choice other than to accept whats offered because problems can add up among six people. Fortunately, though medical costs are steadily rising, Malaysia is still fairly cheap. Its just a matter then of finding the right and best doctors, a topic that definitely brings on headaches to discuss!