Starting kids in school when you arrive?

My wife and I are considering relocating to Bulgaria in a few years when I retire, and we have small children.  They would likely be 4-9 years old when we arrived.

As expats working to get our residency permits, can they attend public schools? Or do we need to make sure we settle near a private school, at least until we have our permits secured?

If they are not eligible for public schools and the private school doesn't have room, what options are there?

I assume public schools are taught only in Bulgarian? Do they have any accommodations for students where they don't know the language yet, like American schools that support ESL students?

Thanks in advance!

All of this really depends on where you move. The situation in the large cities is very different than the situation in smaller cities and villages.

1) Can they attend Bulgarian school. Yes. You will have to go talk to the director of the schools in person because they do not have EGN, so you will have to register on paper as opposed to online (which some districts accept). Keep in mind some schools require you to have an address in their district. So if you are still working on getting your permits, talk with the director about what options you have.

2) In large cities, especially sofia, it is really hard to get a place in kindergarten (the 4 year old) so you will likely have to pay for private school for the little if you are there. In other areas, it is much easier to get a spot.

3) Yes, in public elementary schools, the langauge is Bulgarian. In larger cities, there are private foreign schools that teach in other languages. Some high schools (public and private) teach in other langauges.

4) Most schools or cities offer a summer program for BSL students. Many kindergartens are currently enrolled in a program for Bulgarian help. MANY parents will tell you to not enroll your kids in these programs because they are meant for Roma kids. But I find them to be helpful. Not sure about elementary schools.