Belgium Nationality waiting period

@Edigj

You made my day, thanks :)

I will let you know what happened then!

Do you know from which  commune counter we apply for Belgian ID Card once we get approval. Is it from Etat Civil or from population counter.

Also same for children ?

Hi all,

asking here in order to avoid creating a new thread.

I applied for the belgian nationality on Dec 6th. When I applied I got the confirmation (just the attest that i finished the local process) and they told me I should get a confirmation letter when (I think) it was forwarded to Brussels, and that should arrive in ~1 week but I didn't get anything.

Anyone knows if this is normal, if this first step can take longer or for what reason? I'm trying to avoid contacting them because it is possibly something normal.

Applying in Gent

Thanks!

@IgnacioEg i think it's normal because i also applied on 5th december 2022 but didn't receives a confirmation letter and one of my friend also applied at the end of November 2022 and he also didn't received so it's mean this is normal i think so

@IgnacioEg i think it's normal because i also applied on 5th december 2022 but didn't receives a confirmation letter and one of my friend also applied at the end of November 2022 and he also didn't received so it's mean this is normal i think so
-@yarzaifaisal

Thanks a lot for the input. I will keep waiting then. Wish you the best with your application and if you happen to have any updates on it please post it here so everyone can benefit from it.

@O_Man.

Did you get any feedback yet?

MIne was approved couple of weeks ago. fyi . Thanks for all your inputs

MIne was approved couple of weeks ago. fyi . Thanks for all your inputs
-@Jo2345

Congrats!  So how long did the whole process took? 6 months?

@Jo2345 congrats

@IgnacioEg  Exactly 4 months + 1 week

Here a short overview of my case in the city of Bruges:

total time passed from signing of declaration to getting confirmation -> 3 months 1 week

I applied on a F card, not F+, F card

submitted documents and signed on (saturday) 3rd of dec 2022,

5th dec 2022 received by post a confirmation that docs were sent to Brussels.

police visit around 3 weeks later, talk in dutch, what you do in life, general questions,

13th of march 2023 -> my nationality approved

the city of Bruges notifies this by email, and not by post.

today I went to ask for my Id card, and everything fine, Ik ben belg :)

why so fast? well... I took contact with the town hall weeks before applying for the nationality, and have been sending docs and information by email to the people making the revision, very friendly staff and very well informed, they don't let you through unless they feel you have a strong dossier.

So the moment I did the completion of the declaration, they had already checked everything, they only had to forward it to Brussels.

It was also my second time, I already had faced a negative decision 2 years ago, so don't think that everything is a walk in the park.

The first experience helped to have a waterproof dossier.

hope this helps

Hi,

The time it took in my case from the day I applied at the city hall and the notification by post about the positive response from the city hall is 3 months 5 days. Police check took place 1 month after I applied at the city hall.

@Edigj hello Sir

I think your and mine Nationality are the same processing time.today my application's period are completed 4 months..i did not recieved anything yet..is it a good news?on Monday i have appoitment for that.but my id card still working on Dossie.be

@IgnacioEg

Are you living in Belgium to apply for a nationality card or are you living in another country and applying for nationality.

@CR3545 which type of questions did the police ask you? :)

Hello everyone

nationality application approved

apply date.  05/12/2022

approved date. 17/04/2023

apply in Brussels (1000 bxl commune)

in this period no police interview

no police visit

no registered post

no normal post

just on 17 april 2023 recived an email from commune that your application is accepted for nationality and you can take an appointment for belge id card.

and yeah applied with B card.

hope this helps

@rakan.matouq

The police called in advance to check my availability to meet at home. I missed her call so I called back and arranged the time on the same day evening. The check was a bit thorough on details like, why do I want to be a Belgian, how long have I been living here and do I speak any of the 3 languages or not, what am I currently doing and what is my personal and professional situation etc.. Since I could speak intermediate Dutch, it went smoothly for the most part. All the above information she has already but wanted to know from me. She took notes and said I can reach out later if I have any questions. She was pleasant and already told me there that she is positive about my application. That's it.

Hello everyone
nationality application approved
apply date. 05/12/2022
approved date. 17/04/2023
apply in Brussels (1000 bxl commune)
in this period no police interview
no police visit
no registered post
no normal post
just on 17 april 2023 recived an email from commune that your application is accepted for nationality and you can take an appointment for belge id card.
and yeah applied with B card.
hope this helps
-@yarzaifaisal

Hi, did you get your transcripted Birth certificate entered into the system also? Mondossier or downloadable from Mybxl.be?

@CR3545 Just out of curiosity: what was your answer to "why do I want to be a Belgian" :)

@yarzaifaisal hello,

So it took you around 4 months? :)

Hi,

I had applied for Belgian nationality at Antwerp commune.

Date of Application : October 7th 2022.

Police Visit : November.

But I still didn't receive any response from the commune, on whether my application is approved or rejected.

Does anyone else applied for nationality at Antwerp commune around this date?

Did you get any response ?

Thanks,

Bala

Hi,
I had applied for Belgian nationality at Antwerp commune.

Date of Application : October 7th 2022.
Police Visit : November.

But I still didn't receive any response from the commune, on whether my application is approved or rejected.
Does anyone else applied for nationality at Antwerp commune around this date?
Did you get any response ?

Thanks,
Bala
-@reach4bala

what is the date of receipt and transmission to public proscecutor do you know?

@peterjohn1104

Hi,

No,  I'm not aware of the dates when my application is forwarded to the prosecutor.

When the Police came to visit in November '22, they assured me that I'll be getting citizenship in another 3 - 4 months.

I did send an email enquiring about the delay to the commune, but still no reply.

Eager to know if there is anyone else stuck like this,

maybe I'll call the commune next month if the nationality is still not approved.

Thanks!

@peterjohn1104
Hi,
No, I'm not aware of the dates when my application is forwarded to the prosecutor.
When the Police came to visit in November '22, they assured me that I'll be getting citizenship in another 3 - 4 months.
I did send an email enquiring about the delay to the commune, but still no reply.
Eager to know if there is anyone else stuck like this,
maybe I'll call the commune next month if the nationality is still not approved.

Thanks!
-@reach4bala

Hi. I think you should immediately contact the commune and know the status of your application. Its already more than 7 months and almost 8 months. They must register you as Belgian. The max legal processing time is 4 months after transmission of file to the prosecutor. Since your file was transferred thats why you had the interview with the police, so you must have a result by now. Must contact the commune asap and push them for an answer.

@ABS25

I contacted the Antwerp commune and enquired about the status of my nationality application.

It seems my nationality was approved last year itself, but due to a cyber-attack on Antwerp municipality, all the data was lost.

Fortunately, they were able to retrieve my info after receiving my email and confirmed my citizenship yesterday.

So those who applied for nationality in Antwerp commune, last year or beginning of this year (2023), but did not get the nationality yet, please do contact the commune.

Seems the cyber-attack caused some impact.

@reach4bala Congrats Bala for the nationality.

can you share what the police asked you? I will have my police visit in the coming weeks.

@BMM996210 Well, in my case the Police, just verified my name on the doorbell. And asked for my mobile number.

He later informed me that I don't have any issues with the law, and my file is ok and I would get the nationality in another 3 months or so.

@reach4bala Sorry for more questions ❓ Is having an issues with the law  enough reason to reject someone from getting nationality? Or those it depends on the kind of issues you have with the law?

@ridewitgab Hi, I'm not completely sure, about that. I just posted what the police said to me.

@reach4bala Thanks

@ABS25
I contacted the Antwerp commune and enquired about the status of my nationality application.
It seems my nationality was approved last year itself, but due to a cyber-attack on Antwerp municipality, all the data was lost.
Fortunately, they were able to retrieve my info after receiving my email and confirmed my citizenship yesterday.
So those who applied for nationality in Antwerp commune, last year or beginning of this year (2023), but did not get the nationality yet, please do contact the commune.
Seems the cyber-attack caused some impact.
-@reach4bala

Great. Congrats

@reach4bala Sorry for more questions ❓ Is having an issues with the law enough reason to reject someone from getting nationality? Or those it depends on the kind of issues you have with the law?
-@ridewitgab

To acquire belgian nationality, you need to fulfill the conditions required by law. If anything is lacking, they will simply refuse an application. Also, you need to have a clean record with the police and judiciary in Belgium, if you have not paid any bills or you were fined due to violation of law or there is a court judgment against you in past, it may also lead to refusal of your application. So check everything.

@ABS25 Thanks

@ifazal

hi I have demand for Belgium passport on 02 06 2023 and my municipality send my file to ministry on 26 06 2023 and how many time is required for decion

@buttsab729 2 to 3 month if your partner is Belg national...

Y'a my partner is Belgium national and she is born in Belgium and I am apply on the behalf of my wife from last one and half month if I need any information about it the can you send me any contact no or web site thanks

@buttsab729 How and where do we see when the municipality has send the document to the ministry or procecuter?

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the input here, valuable info

I have been living in Belgium since 1/10/2018 , did a bachelor here in English and now I have the F card due to cohabitation. 

My commune ( schaerbeek ) told me I can apply on 21/01/2024 for the citizenship but it still a bit blurry on the language requirements.

I speak fluent German with a DSH-1 test ( used to enter German university )  but I do not have any certification for French or Dutch.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Summary of my situation:

• bachelor in Belgium ( language of instruction EN )
  • working since 3 years
  • F Card
  • property in Belgium
  • Kid to be born in Belgium this year

@vaibrasil One quesiton: you have mentioned that you have been in Belgium since October 2018. So technically, why cann't you apply for nationality in October this year because this completes the  5 year mark.

Why commune have asked you to apply on  21/01/2024 ?

@ARMaliq they told me that the first date of the first ID issuing that they considered, I find it weird too because in my dossier I see 01.10.2018 as the first date registered