Bilingual School for English speaking children.

I am considering a job offer in Hamburg which will be long term.

My children aged 6, 8 and 10 yrs currently are taught in English in an International School in Groningen.
My employer has advised me about  bilingual state schools where children follow a German system , but are taught many lessons in English.  A primary and secondary school are apparently available.

Has anyone experiences they can share  of putting English speaking children through such an education system?

If I feel the children will be unable to cope with the language and education system in German schools then we will have to look for job opportunities elsewhere. The job will be located in Hamburg near River.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

P.

Hello! I am the same situation looking for alternative to international school of hamburg. Did you manage to find suitable bilingual school?

I am English speaking and so are my kids, however I put them into a German speaking school, they have been there for 5 months now and have no problem speaking German.  They have had additional German lessons during their school holidays provided for by the school.  We speak English at home so they dont loose the language.

Good Luck.

Hi All,

We are looking into the Campus Hamburg program and the international school ISA(International School of Hamburg-though when I looked at their site,they claim they have a new building and I did google it, it shows a yellow house. Looks shady.
Anyone, else have any ideas for Hamburg American School or English education?
My son is 9 yrs old English speaker for now.

Thanks DARA

I would look at a good German Integrated School.  The government paid for a teacher to give them extra German Language lessons.  My children are also 9 years old, they have now all made friends and are able to have good conversations in both English and Germany.  We underestimate our children and want to surround them with what they are familiar with, this in the long run can only slow them down. 

Good luck!

Thanks for your quick reply-when you say integrated, what is the difference with international schools. Besides of course if it is free! Amazing only if it is good.P.School here are borderline.
Also the ISA charge you according to what your income is. I am waiting for pamphlets coming in the mail.
Do you think an all English speaking boy can make it in the German system? My son has a bit of dyslexia. But, when he speaks the little he knows,German with his Dad he pronounces well.I am confused at this point so any info. is very helpful.
DARA

Integrated is German based, yes free, but also have the facility to integrate children into normal day to day living in Germany.  Google Integrated schools in Germany.

Ok, yes I think all kids can adapt, and here's my thinking, I have 9 year old Triplets.... 1 boy ADHD, 1 girl ADD and if I can call the other one Normal(?).  The boy picked up German within 3 months, the girl that is ADD was the 2nd one to start speaking and the "Normal" one has been a little slower in speaking.

Oh I also forgot to mention, Integrated schools have children with all sorts of difficulties, in our classes we have 2 - 3 teachers (per class) and helpers for the children with difficulties.

Wow! 3 kids /2 with some learning difficulties!Are you in Hamburg?
i am looking for what is called integrated schools. 2-3 teachers for 20 kids? thats really good. i am assuming your children are getting the attention needed if they integrated so easily.
Great to hear. I do not speak any German-my son has ADHD too.

No I am in a small town 1/2 way between Frankfurt and Cologne.

I think the size of the classes is 25-28 kids Max 28 kids then they split the class again.

At first we had a hard time with my son, he battled with the language, but in the end, it's made him much stronger and more determined to settle in faster.

I am English speaking, my husband is German, I am starting my integration course soon, should be fun (not).

I must say, the school has been amazing, I never mentioned to them the ADD and ADHD, wanted to see if they came to the same conclusion as the psychologist in South Africa, I was and always have been determined to keep them off the "Drugs" - so strange trying not to label the kids, the school just mentioned that he was battling to settle in and they tried a little harder and also set him up with boys they thought would make good friends.  Now he has a BF and we are cruising along, also important is that you make sure he joins a club; Brett has joined a football club and loves it.  Was so cute listening to him speaking to one of his team mates in German and discussing life in South Africa.

If you want, I am available on Skype, just inbox me and I will give you my address.

When do you plan on moving over?

[Moderated: free ad is not allowed on the forum]

Thank you Bao for your response. i did get a pamphlet from Campus Phorms Hamburg and i will look into the other schools.

i will check out your site and here is my e-mail:
[email protected]

I hope all is well.
DARA

(moderated: no free ads on the forum, please)

Hello,
If I can but in here, we made the move to outside of Cologne from Florida last year. I've had my daughter (13) in the more difficult gymnasium and she's struggling (in the states she was in the top 10 in her class of 150). So, it's quite frustrating that the school is not prepared to assist any immigrants. They are quite rare for them I guess, but not much help.
So, "Miscellaneous", when you say make sure they join a club, I understand that. Contact outside of school hours brings normal, simple conversation which helps her conversation skills.
.... well, I'm jabbering. Be aware that there are many kinds of schools for kids here. For gradeschool, besides the gymnasium, there's Realschule, and (very interesting) Gesamtschule.
Vielen Gluck.

Hi there, I am new to this forum and as hoping someone would be able to advise me on suitable schools for my daughters aged 12 and 14. They are English speakers and have no German. They have studied French, Spanish and Irish in school and manage the languages fairly easily.
Husband is considering an opportunity In Hamburg and, whilst I have looked at the international school, I can't help feeling they may integrate better in a Germany speaking school, be that state or private. Does anyone have any recommendations, experience of this age group. I would really welcome some advice here.  Thank again. Angela
P..S they have changed schools/ countries before so it is more the language barrier and education that I worry about. Thanks again!

Hi there,
Just read your post. How is your daughter managing now? Hope all has worked out. Thinking of doing the same thing with our daughters! Would really welcome your views of experience. Thank you

Hi there,
Just read your post. How is your daughter managing now? Hope all has worked out. Thinking of doing the same thing with our daughters! Would really welcome your views of experience. Thank you

I have 11 year old Triplets, when we moved to Germany the kids had no German at all.  We put them into a German School, 2 years later they speak more German than English!
That's not saying it's easy, but they have done so well in such a short time!

That's encouraging thank you. I would really rather them attend German school rather than an international school. I am sure they would integrate better in the long run. Did your children repeat a school year after the year provided of intense German or were they able to stay in same year? I am a little worried about the 14 year old girl as friendships are so important at this age. I have no doubt long term it will be fantastic though! Thank you for taking time to reply, I really appreciate it.