New members of the Brazil forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Welcome to the forum instantcoffee! Well, if you will be working while pursuing your PhD, you´ll quickly find out of the low salary here compared to New York City and also the low purchasing power of the reais. And the high cost of living in São Paulo will further aggravate your financial condition and then you have 2 kids which will also further degrade your ability to cope with the high cost of living. Sorry to start with a sad note but unless you have already enough money saved up to pay for your education and then some, it will be very tough. I don´t have kids and not married but I do help a Brazilian family on their education: 1 adult and 2 children ages 7 and 9 whom I send to private schools. Private school is the best way to go for the children because of the bad quality of public school instruction. That is also expensive including the university tuition I´m paying. School supplies are very expensive and you have to pay for them. Clothing also is expensive with bad quality compared to the US. PhDs pay tuition approx about R$75,000 a year according to a friend of mine. Foreign graduate and post graduate students are allowed to work. Just get a permission from the Coordenação Geral de Imigração (CGIG), at the Ministério do Trabalho.

That´s just a general aspect of it. Other contributors do expect more questions from you so fire away. I´m sure they´ll also be glad to help you!

robal

Thank you for the warm welcome Robal!
I tragically lost my husband a few years ago, and due to the nature of his passing, I receive a decent amount of money monthly that has allowed me to live comfortably in New York without working.
I was raised in Brazil in my teenage years and attended private school there myself, but I spoke Portuguese fluently, which made things easier.

A part of my decision to consider going back to Sao Paulo is due to the fact that I do have a comfortable monthly income, but also because of the lower cost of Ph.D. programs in Sao Paulo (I'm checking out PUC and Mackenzie right now) compared to NYC.

My main concern with considering this is my children. I've lurked around here a bit and was hoping to be able to get some feedback in regards to general experiences, but mostly in regards to other parents have experienced.

robal wrote:

Welcome to the forum instantcoffee! Well, if you will be working while pursuing your PhD, you´ll quickly find out of the low salary here compared to New York City and also the low purchasing power of the reais. And the high cost of living in São Paulo will further aggravate your financial condition and then you have 2 kids which will also further degrade your ability to cope with the high cost of living. Sorry to start with a sad note but unless you have already enough money saved up to pay for your education and then some, it will be very tough. I don´t have kids and not married but I do help a Brazilian family on their education: 1 adult and 2 children ages 7 and 9 whom I send to private schools. Private school is the best way to go for the children because of the bad quality of public school instruction. That is also expensive including the university tuition I´m paying. School supplies are very expensive and you have to pay for them. Clothing also is expensive with bad quality compared to the US. PhDs pay tuition approx about R$75,000 a year according to a friend of mine. Foreign graduate and post graduate students are allowed to work. Just get a permission from the Coordenação Geral de Imigração (CGIG), at the Ministério do Trabalho.

That´s just a general aspect of it. Other contributors do expect more questions from you so fire away. I´m sure they´ll also be glad to help you!

robal

Ola Robal,

I have visited Brazil - specifically João Pessoa in NE Brazil - for a few years, and plan to move there in 2021.
I should be clear that, as a foreigner, I'm coming to Brazil with an offshore source of income. In the US, I have an upper middle-income salary, and I get to work remotely. The Real has experienced quite a lot of inflation on the international exchanges in the last 5-7 years. Currently at about 5:1, this makes the dollar go a long, long ways. It's an upper-class income in most parts of Brazil. So - my financial experience has been quite different from average Brazilians.

If we are doing an actual cost-of-living analysis, then yes, most goods and services are expensive:
- Local average salaries are quite low. Correct me if I'm wrong: I believe minimum wage is about R$1000/month, and average wages are double that. This is amazing and scary to me. If I lost my US income, I would have to make a massive adjustment in living expenses.
- Petrol (gasoline) is about R$4,00/liter (about $3/gal). This is on-par with US prices, so that's quite expensive for Brazilians.
- Imported goods, such as branded electronics and clothing from the US and Korea, are about 25% more expensive than in the US. iPhones are not affordable for middle-class citizens. I believe this is due to import tariffs.
- Local clothing from big-box stores like Carrefour is affordable but lower-quality. That's to be expected.
- Medical expenses are n/a unless you pay for private insurance and go to private hospitals, but that's not the norm. An extended family of four adults and three kids costs R$400/month.
- Education expenses are also n/a unless you decide to go to commercial schools. And even so, commercial university courses at FPB are about R$260/semester.

More info can be found at places like https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living// … try=Brazil

"- Petrol (gasoline) is about R$4,00/liter (about $3/gal). This is on-par with US prices, so that's quite expensive for Brazilians."
Now it's 4 liters to the gal, so roughly little over $12 U$ here.

Hi all I'm Sandra I live in Maceio.
I'm happy to be part of this forum.
I'm a Broadcast journalist and I also have a Masters degree in Public Health. Can anyone guide me on how to start looking for job?

Also, I started my daughter's passport acquisition online but I'm moving to Brasilia next month. Is it possible to continue the passport process in Brasilia? Or I just have to finish it here in Maceio before leaving?
Thank you

All depends. Currently, DPF working on an emergency essential only basis. So you need to check your area' s Policia Federal office
Questions;
Do you have a CRNM and a work permit?
Is your daughter a BR citizen?
If you have a CRNM and work permit you need to look at private companies. Only citizens of BR can work in Gov. agencies.
You can change your forum to Brasilia and ask about jobs. (I checked and forum questions were a little old)

McLen wrote:
robal wrote:

robal

Ola Robal,

I have visited Brazil - specifically João Pessoa in NE Brazil - for a few years, and plan to move there in 2021.
I should be clear that, as a foreigner, I'm coming to Brazil with an offshore source of income. In the US, I have an upper middle-income salary, and I get to work remotely. The Real has experienced quite a lot of inflation on the international exchanges in the last 5-7 years. Currently at about 5:1, this makes the dollar go a long, long ways. It's an upper-class income in most parts of Brazil. So - my financial experience has been quite different from average Brazilians.

If we are doing an actual cost-of-living analysis, then yes, most goods and services are expensive:
- Local average salaries are quite low. Correct me if I'm wrong: I believe minimum wage is about R$1000/month, and average wages are double that. This is amazing and scary to me. If I lost my US income, I would have to make a massive adjustment in living expenses.
- Petrol (gasoline) is about R$4,00/liter (about $3/gal). This is on-par with US prices, so that's quite expensive for Brazilians.
- Imported goods, such as branded electronics and clothing from the US and Korea, are about 25% more expensive than in the US. iPhones are not affordable for middle-class citizens. I believe this is due to import tariffs.
- Local clothing from big-box stores like Carrefour is affordable but lower-quality. That's to be expected.
- Medical expenses are n/a unless you pay for private insurance and go to private hospitals, but that's not the norm. An extended family of four adults and three kids costs R$400/month.
- Education expenses are also n/a unless you decide to go to commercial schools. And even so, commercial university courses at FPB are about R$260/semester.

More info can be found at places like https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living// … try=Brazil

Hi Len,

Here are some stats in Brasil and some that I currently pay helping a Brazilian family during COVID-19. Today, June 19, 2020 the exchange rate is R$5.31 to the dollar:

1. Minimum salary: R$1,045. Average of R$1,567.50 (1.5 of minimum wage). There is an adjustment every January. Daily: 34.83   PerHour: 4.75, which is bullshit! Gardeners charge like R$16 per hour; electricians - R$80-120 per hour!

2. Gas in João Pessoa: 4.079/liter.       American gallon= 3.785liters  Therefore: 4.079x3.785=R$15.43 (2.90USD/gallon).

3. Imported electronics usually costs 3x the USA price if you buy from a vendor here.
   a. Federal tax: 60% of the sum of the merchandise´s value plus freight and insurance.
   b. ICMS (Paraiba): 18% (levied from the sum total of the above. So tax on top of the other tax plus the other expenses).
   c. Dealer´s profit: around 100%. So around 3x the original amount. iPhone is doable for the middle
        class.

4. Carrefour or other stores like BIG: moderate prices but poor quality. There are better stores like Nike and others for clothings usually in upper scale malls but more expensive. I buy my electronics and clothes in the US since I go home every year!

And now the costs I pay helping a family (1 adult and 2 children):

1. Health insurance. It´s cheaper because the mother has a small business (MEI) with a discount of 30%. So instead of paying R$1,035.11for 3 people, I pay R$778.28, a discount of R$256.83. 4 adults and 3 kids that you mentioned would be expensive.

2. A commercial or private university: R$1,200 per semester on a Physical Therapy curriculum with only
8 credits. If you pay full load like 12 credits, of course more expensive. She´s due to graduate at the end of the year! Yipeeeee! I´ll be free at last after 6yrs of this stuff!

3. Electricity: R$656.91 (air conditioning is always on).

4. Her rent for the house: R$950

5. Water: R$115.75

6. Claro cable TV with landline: R$422.01

7. Claro cell phone lines: R$128.97

8. Misc: R$250

9. Private schools for the 2 kids: R$3,000

10. Extracurricular lessons like swimming, ballet, Futsal, Judo, English I also have to pay, and expensive!
I also have to pay the school bus transport.

11. Others like her INSS, house and car consorcio and life insurance I also pay for now because of COVID-19.

Having all enumerated that, you really still want to come to Brazil? I´m not married and I haven´t mentioned yet my own day to day expenses...

robal

Correction on item #2 above (A commercial or private university): R$1,200 per month
tuition, not per semester...

robal

I  also forgot groceries. My God daughter likes American style food and only eats picanha, filet mignon, salmon and paleta de
ovelha. Spoiled her.  My fault. That's R$1,000
per week to a total of R $4,000 per month. It's
expensive in RS. Only my wines that come from Chile and Argentina that are more reasonable. Thats it!

robal

Yes I do have a Permanent residence and my daughter is Brasilian.

Thank you for your reply.

I will check the Brasília forum. Hoping to find something helpful. Thanks

Sandra,
WIsh you the best.
I have a relative in Brasilia. but can not come here with all the stuff going on. If I speak with him I ask for some leads. A lot of news comes from there and may have something in Broadcasting with health experience also. The public health system does not pay well
Keep in touch.

Hello Everyone, Sorry to come, this forum a little late, I found it today. I'm loving this place to meet new people and make life easier in brazil with wonderful people helping us in different fórums. 

Let me introduce myself, I'm Sumit, with Indian nationality. I'm working here in São Paulo in IT firm. I lived in many other countries in Latin America ( Uruguay and Peru for work purpose ). When i was  living in montevideo, I had come to Brazil first time to spend my vacation in Rio de Janerio , Búzios. I did my first scooba diving in Arrial do cabo, wonderful experience.

I have moved to São Paulo since 2018, with my wife as she is also indian. Recently we have blessed with a baby boy in São Paulo Brazil.

Moving towards, I'll be actively participate in all the blogs and share my experience to others.

Thanks 😊

Hello all,

I have been living in RJ since 2012 and I am originally from London

Been using this forum quite often recently for info on international transfers etc and therefore decided to sign up as I have found it all very useful.

Currently am having some doubts regarding the transfer of monies but as this is just an introduction topic I will leave that discussion elsewhere

All the best

PP

ppgringo wrote:

Hello all,

Been using this forum quite often recently for info on international transfers etc and therefore decided to sign up as I have found it all very useful.

Currently am having some doubts regarding the transfer of monies but as this is just an introduction topic I will leave that discussion elsewhere

All the best

PP

Welcome!
Can you be more specific as to what kind of money transfer you're talking about?
You can easily open an international bank account like TransferWise and link it to your home bank account. I move money using TW whenever I visit Brazil.

Good afternoon all. I am currently living in the States. I lost my job due to Covid19. I lived in Brasil back in 1986-1987, and things were a little crazy then. I have been back to Brasil numerous times since then, but the last time I was there was 1999. I have family and friends who live in Tres Largoas and the Sao Paulo area. I am in the processes of selling my house and seriously considering moving to Brasil. With the whole virus thing going on, it seems everything is up in the air. Would not mind finding a job with a company in Brasil and just taking the plunge. Single and in my 50's, so now seems to be the right time. Thoughts??? FYI.....my Brasilian family and friends are not so sure moving is what I should do......they all want to move here!!! LOL

Welcome PP
As McLen stated there are international wire companies. Being from London most banks have the option of transferring from your  London bank. I have HSBC and transfer directly from that bank.
Wire companies and Banks do charge fees from an account (unless your account has free transfers or some credit unions have free transfers) and the banks in BR will charge a fee from any transfer. (Not a high rate. but a fee).
Ask away and many here may be able to help.

Hello,

I too have been using TW for sometime now without any problems (5 years). However, as of recent I tried to send a lot more and failed miserably. Banco rendimento (TWs partner in brazil) started to request all kinds of illogical documentation, which even confused the hell out of my accountant whilst treating me as if I was a Narco laundering money. Anyway long story short, it all went tits up and the money was refunded

After discussing this with someone at Banco Rendimento i found out that the transfer had pushed my total sum of transfers for the year above a certain threshold which is why they asked for all this documentation etc.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if so do you have any idea what the yearly limit is before they start asking for all the paperwork as Banco rendimento wouldnt give me an answer

Also is wiring from my UK account to my Brazilian really the best way for larger sums?

thanks

PP

Ok thanks Texan, will look into it

Alan,
It is understandable to want to be near family, but remember most all jobs are very low pay,
Need a little more information:
If you do not have a CRNM (permanent residency) card and work card you cannot work period.
What is a family? Mom, dad, spouse. child? You can ask a family member (BR citizen) to send a sponsor letter for a  VITEM XI visa. Check the BR consulate office in your area.
Presently to border is closed. Citizens and those holding CRNM's may enter.
Travelers must present a medical declaration issued by a health authority or a local doctor that certifies that the passenger is not infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus (covid-19).  Test results alone will not be accepted.  The doctor's declaration may be in English, Spanish, or Portuguese.  There is no specific template for the declaration.  The Brazilian government recommends that the traveler have the medical declaration with the date as close as possible to the day of departure.

PP
Unless you have a great relationship with your bank, you are only allowed to send $4.000 U$ to your BR account.
Now is buy a car or house, you can wire the fund directly to the Real Estate agent/lawyer or car dealership
You may need to visit BB (if there is face to face) and explain your issue.
The reason is probably hitting the money laundering list and will need all kind of information to open additional transfers.

ppgringo wrote:

Hello all,

All the best

PP

Welcome and enjoy the forum!

ppgringo

Welcome!

TransferWise has a good primer on wire transfer regs here:

https://transferwise.com/us/blog/intern … egulations

You probably tripped some programmed alarm to detect splitting up large amounts for possible money laundering purposes.  That usually triggers a request for additional documents.  I know that TransferWise itself requires Social Security Numbers from American citizens as their transfers approach $10,000 in a single year; they probably have similar requirements for UK citizens.

The best way I've found to avoid triggering alarms is to send the same amount for the same reason on a regular basis.  To the extent that computers can love anything, they love consistency.

agurski1968 wrote:

Good afternoon all. I am currently living in the States. I lost my job due to Covid19. I lived in Brasil back in 1986-1987, and things were a little crazy then. I have been back to Brasil numerous times since then, but the last time I was there was 1999. I have family and friends who live in Tres Largoas and the Sao Paulo area. I am in the processes of selling my house and seriously considering moving to Brasil. With the whole virus thing going on, it seems everything is up in the air. Would not mind finding a job with a company in Brasil and just taking the plunge. Single and in my 50's, so now seems to be the right time. Thoughts??? FYI.....my Brasilian family and friends are not so sure moving is what I should do......they all want to move here!!! LOL

Welcome! If you want to work in Brazil, how´s your fluency in Portuguese? You should come and live like a resident first to see if it suits you - say about a year before moving your stakes.

ppgringo wrote:

Hello,

I too have been using TW for sometime now without any problems (5 years). However, as of recent I tried to send a lot more and failed miserably. Banco rendimento (TWs partner in brazil) started to request all kinds of illogical documentation, which even confused the hell out of my accountant whilst treating me as if I was a Narco laundering money. Anyway long story short, it all went tits up and the money was refunded

After discussing this with someone at Banco Rendimento i found out that the transfer had pushed my total sum of transfers for the year above a certain threshold which is why they asked for all this documentation etc.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if so do you have any idea what the yearly limit is before they start asking for all the paperwork as Banco rendimento wouldnt give me an answer

Also is wiring from my UK account to my Brazilian really the best way for larger sums?

thanks

PP

For large sums without involving a correspondent bank in Brazil, again would be a prepaid reloadable VISA debit card. You can withdraw more than R$30,000 in 2 days with 5 reloadable cards at Bradesco´s ATM.

robal

Good Night,
In response to your question!
since i am a medical doctor and living here in Brazil for almost 2 years in Brazil. according to my experiences the most important issue that Brazil need lots of medical experts after Cubans doctor's withdrawal from Brazil. but unfortunately the Brazilian Brucracy still very strict and difficult policy against (Medico Estrangeiros) for just starting their jobs in Brazil. along with your identifications documents like (CRNM, CPF, Carteira De Trabalho, Bank ACC, Comprovante de resedencia) you need the most important step (Revalidacao do diploma) which is very important for medico estrangiero to get job in their own field (Saude) in Brasil. after revalidacao do diploma you will be find the great job here in Brazil.
The upcoming Re-validation Exam (Prova De Revalidacao) will be in October 2020.

Regards,

Hey, my husband and I just moved here in August. We are in Macaé. We will probably be here for a year, maybe two. I know these are strange times, but I am wondering if there are any others on this forum that I can connect with in my area, as I don't speak Portuguese. My husband does, but he is working during the day.  Thanks!

Welcome,
Always enjoy having another American and Texan :D
I am not in the area but sometimes hang around here so here to
for questions or just "chew the fat".
Good luck

Evening, folks.  I've been in and out of Brasil for the past three years, married and "in-country" more or less since August of this year.  Former electrical engineer turned logistics/mine safety manager, decided I'd try my hand at teaching English online and in-person. 

Given the current political and ideological climate in the US - coupled with our nightmarish rat's nest of immigration law - my wife and I decided to stay here in Brasil where we both have family and friends.

Although I'm no expert by any means, I'm more than happy to share my somewhat limited knowledge of things here and back home in the US.

Hello,
Compliments of the season.

My name is Sam and new here.

I have been reading alot of the forum for quite a while now and decided to ask somethings. My wife is considering having our second kid in brazil, did tons of research and saw Curitiba to have a very good health care system and hoping she can have the birth there, or Sao Paulo.

She will be coming alone, if visa is granted and i will be sponsoring the total trip including hotel/airbnb, medical bills and all for the time she will be in brazil. I won't be coming along due to work.

I like to ask,
1. staying in an hotel/airbnb, when she is registering for her permanent visa, would this count as a address she can use? as she won't have any bills in her name.

2. To register the birth of the baby and hopefully her permanent visa, would she be in need of my ID? passport data page, probably i can give her a certified copy by the brazil embassy, would she need certified copy of ID of the first kid as well?

3. I have read the ATM limits in Brazil seems low, i do not want her to fly with alot of cash due to theft or misplacement, is there any work around for this? especially when paying the rent in brazil and the medical bills as this can be up to USD 3,000.

4. I have read that the police report needs to be apostilled, but that is not available in my country, i saw on the Brazile embassy website in my country that they do legalize documents though which will first have to be notarized by their certified law firms before they will legalize it.

On another ground, My wife's birth certificate and our wedding certificate, does these have to be legalized as well? as she will be travelling with the originals.

I will also write to the embassy to ask for the procedure to legalize said documents.

5. She will be leaving Brazil with the baby after she secures her permanent visa, and i just read that she will need a POA from me authorizing  her to travel with the baby, does this power of attorney have to come from a lawyer? or i can just write and sign?

When she gets back and we can finally decide when to move to Brazil, probably i will apply for a tourist visa and then the permanent once there or just apply for the permanent visa directly at the embassy, but i have read on their website where they advice to travel on tourist visa and then go the the PF for permanent visa.

Another thing i will like to know is i have read about the so many taxation in brazil, Both of us are self employed, we own our company and are into animal farming in our home country and also trades Forex.

This we plan to continue our FX trading even in brazil and the broker is an international broker, we will also keep running our farms and generating incomes, so we may not be employed while in brazil, or she can open a shop to manage.

so,

6. Do we still need to get the work permit/book?

7. how can we pay the taxes while living there in brazil and working and earning online, and from home(farms).

I have also read that people in Curitiba are not as friendly as the other brazilians, i do not know if any one has any experiences about this, if worth noting, we are blacks and africans.

Sorry for my lot of questions, just trying to get ahead in planning in the case she gets issued with the visa, even though i have heard Brazil embassy do not wish to issue visa to pregnant ladies due to many not paying their bills or probably using the free public service which we do not plan to do, but then it can go either way and life continues.

Thank you for kind answers and compliments of the season once again.
Feliz Ano Novo

Sam

Welcome Sam, We need some information.
Which one is a Brazilian Citizen?
At this time when is the baby's due date?
If neither are Brazilian, you may need to go a different route, Brazil will not do "anchor babies"
Temp residence will not qualify as "permanent".

Hi Texan,
We are both not brazilians, due date is still some months away.

I have read and saw reviews of several different people who are not brazilians who went to have a baby in brazil without issues and then got the permanent.

Also read that any baby born on brazilian soil is a brazilian and as that the parents, brazilians or foreign will qualify for the right to stay. Even on this forum, there are many who claimed to apply for permanent after having a child and got it.

Though i heard due to some circumstances now, they do not want to issue visas to pregnant women but some still do get it.

Thanks

Sam,
First, in today's life in Brazil, there is a restriction of only 90 days on a tourist visa with no extension.
Does she speak Portuguese? If not it will be difficult.
Appointments with the PF is online only. 90 days go quick.
You need to look at the visa types at your BR consulate/embassy.
Foreigners can get CRNM but must have permanent residence. Hotel and another temp place will not qualify. Can get an investor's or retirement visa, but these are special.
These are not normal times. In 2017 consulates can issue visas, but the PF has the final say for entry.
What you may have read is pre-2017?
See this link:
http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/imigra … strangeiro
Here is a link to the Policia Federal.
As to Curitiba, it is nice and I have no negative things to say, except the traffic. We have a condo in Curitiba. All have been friendly. Can get chilly.

Hi texan,
Thanks for the update, she doesn't speak portuguese but hopefully some of our friends who are in brazil can assist her with the language and other things that may be needed once there.

You are absolutely right, most of those articles are from 2017, 2018. Even now adays they issue just 1 month visa which is truely strange. I Saw someone last month got a tourist visa for his family of 5, they got only 1 month multiple.

The issue of no extension now is a real issue and that can lead to overstaying the visa, especially if issued with the 1 month and like you said, days go fast.

But in the case we make it, can i get the answers for those other questions about the documents to legalize and also if i may need to give a certified true copy of my ID and our firstk kid.

Also, with the work status.

Probably she can just give birth and then return without processing the permanent visa until whenever we are ready if at all. 

Thanks alot

I also think traffic in curitiba is far better than that of Sao paulo.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=915929

Thanks!

Closed