Just for fun: Unusual cultural habits in Cyprus and around the world

In this Just for fun thread, we would like to highlight unconventional customs which make Cyprus stand out. This is a chance, at the same time, to learn about other countries' equally interesting traditions.

1. Which country considers cats to be lucky? How about Cyprus?
2. In which country should you not write in red ink?
3. Is there anything like a 15-minute grace period in Cyprus or is showing up on time or earlier a common practice?
4. In which country do people greet each other by rubbing noses?
5. What is one custom associated with Cypriot culture that you have found to be quite unusual?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

1. I don't think Cypriots consider cats lucky. Cats and dogs are just animals that happen to be here. It is the expats that venerate cats and dogs.
2. Growing up in New Zealand we were always taught that it is considered rude to write in red ink.
3. Not a cultural thing, more personal. Different people have different attitudes to punctuality no matter what there heritage.
4. Rubbing noses (hongi) is a New Zealand Maori customary greeting.
5. I elected to live in Cyprus so I accept all the customs warts and all. I just hope the ethnic bias (which I understand given the attitude of the colonial past) gradually disappears.

1.... Japan or India maybe but definitely not Cyprus.. cats and dogs here are usualy cared for more by non cypriots.. mainly because culturally and historically they are deemed as working tools, for hunting & keeping vermin down etc and then sadly discarded like rubbish when of no use

2....i would think Japan again as writing in red ink may be thought to be disrespectful.

3....cant say I've come across  any sort of grace period here. Its so laid back nobody really cares - however I personally thinks its rude to not turn up on time. This fashionably late thing is bollocks

4....The arctic where eskimos rub noses as a friendly gesture or greeting and can be seen to be a gesture of deep respect ... one thing I have noticed here is the head nod and closed hands as in prayer is common here as a thank you. greeting or a blessing

*The fascination for fireworks.... they seem to be very popular at all sorts of events - much like Malta in this respect.
*The motorcades of cars driven by younger persons ferrying their timbers and trees at easter to celebrate their easter period followed by a massive bonfire  - very very big here - much bigger than christmas.
*Stinky Thursday being the last day the cypriots can eat meat (so they use their souvlas / bbqs)  and then dont eat meat for 40 days of lent)
*Kataklysmos - the festival of water/flood - Kataklysmos” is a religious and popular feast celebrated in Cyprus.
“Kataklysmos”, which means flood, is found in the book of Genesis and in the Greek myth of Deukalion. In both cases it refers to the destruction by flood of almost all-living creatures in order to give birth to a new and moral generation.

The celebrations last for a few days and take place in all sea side towns.

Celebrations include various games, swimming competitions, boat races, performances of folk dances, competitions of popular traditionals songs known as “tsattista”, live music performances by famous Greek and Cypriot singers. The most popular custom of “Kataklysmos” is the throwing of water to one another (symbolises the purification of the body and soul) so be aware! YOU WILL GET WET VERY VERY WET.

6.... Green (or Clean) Monday celebrates the start of lent - usually follows Stinky Thursday - where it is celebrated with outdoor excursions, the consumption of shellfish and other fasting food, and involves everyone going out and flying their kites.