Pregnancy and good ob-gyn in Kuala Lumpur

Hi All,

I am an Indian expat working in Kuala Lumpur.

I am currently pregnant and would like to know the Malaysian rules of delivering a baby in Malaysia for foreigners.

Can anyone please let me know what are the rules and regulations on having a baby in Malaysia? Since I am an expat working here, do I need to follow any procedures and rules?

Can anyone suggest good ob-gyn and hospitals in Kuala Lumpur preferably near Ampang area?

Is there any Indian expat here who has the experience of delivering baby in Malaysia?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhawna

My wife gave birth to two children in Gleneagle Hospital on Jalan Ampang. It's one of the best hospitals in KL. Her obstetrician/gynecologist was Dr. Jean Woo, a woman. She is amazing. Previously my wife had used a different doctor but thank goodness we switched to Jean Woo.

After the birth of our children we used Dr. Adrian Goh as the children's pediatrician, also in Gleneagle Hospital. Even when we moved to Indonesia years later, we still brought our children back to see Dr. Adrian for vaccinations etc.

Hi Shill88,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Can you please let me know the total cost and charges of delivery?

I heard Gleneagles is quite costly.

I don't remember the exact costs as it was many years ago but back then I believe it was around RM3,000 for the delivery only. I am talking about 7 - 8 years ago. The best is to give them a call. You can easily find the doctor's names on the internet and then call them and ask the receptionist for details on the pricing, how much per visit, cost for the birth etc.

http://gleneagleskl.com.my/doctors-profile/?docid=15http://gleneagleskl.com.my/find-a-doctor/

The other hospital that my wife visited a few times at the beginning was Tong Shin Hospital because we lived in Bukit Bintang and it was walking distance from our apartment and it is definitely cheaper, but not in Ampang. But that was right at the beginning of the pregnancy.

Sorry I cannot be more informative.