Moving to Rosarito permanently

Hi. I've made the decision to move to Rosarito permanently but know nothing about the logistics of making this happen. Can I get Mexican car Insurance comparable to what I have in the states? Is IMSS adequate medical insurance or should I plan on keeping my Medicare intact. Do I need to have a lawyer review my contract for purchasing a condo through a local realtor. Moving furniture there seems a hassle so is buying furniture locally reasonable? I'm  sure I will have many more questions as I get on with moving and would appreciate any advice on the best way to manage all the details. Thanks.

Since are you are planning to move to a town very close to the U.S. border, keep Medicare and forget  any Mexican plans for medical care. We, on the other hand, live in deep Southern Mexico and use private  medical insurance. To each his own but no way we would depend on the plan you mention or Seguro Popular. We have lived here 20 years with three significant hospitalizations using private medical insurance or, for minor problems we have paid out of pocket using private doctors and hospitals with no  problems covering costs which in Mexico are very reasonable.

Bubba,
I've recently moved to CDMX and am currently "self-insuring" by paying out of pocket.  If IMSS and Seguro are not good choices, are you just carrying a major medical (catastrophic) policy.  What insurance company do you recommend one investigate.
Steve

I'm a permanent resident now in Baja California Sur. I imported my Dodge Pick-up and pay about $150.00 per year for liability insurance thru BANCOMER. The insurance has a rider that makes it valid in the United States, great deal. Mexican doctor's are the best, you can consult with a cardiologist or dermatologist in Tijuana for $50.00 USD as a private pay patient. And they will spend an unhurried full hour with you face to face. None of this clerk after nurse after assistant and finally five rushed minutes with the Doctor.

I have also have Seguro Popular which has been based on a sliding scale payment. My share is only about $100 USD per year. It includes prescription and dental. There is a new hospital now in La Paz and recently a new oncology treatment unit. The local neighborhood clinic is only five minutes from my home. I usually wait to be examined about an hour or so, showing up without an appointment.

We used a Mexican Trucking Company to move all of our household items here, but it would be just as easy to purchase furniture and stuff in Mexico. WE had to go the the
Mexican Consulate with an itemized list of everything. The second hand stores in Mexico carry some nice furniture that people in the U.S. discard. We found a beautiful bedroom dresser built in the Eastern U.S. (American of Martinsville) back in the 1960's that will probably last another 100 years (not like the junk sold new in the stores today).

My spouse also has Medicare but only used it once during an office visit she made while vacationing in Alaska. I will qualify for Medicare next year. Seguro Popular is supposed to be changing soon to combine with the Mexican Social Security Medical Program.

Dibbons wrote:

My spouse also has Medicare but only used it once during an office visit she made while vacationing in Alaska. I will qualify for Medicare next year. Seguro Popular is supposed to be changing soon to combine with the Mexican Social Security Medical Program.

The Mexican government isn't joining the Seguro Popular with the Social Security Medical Program [IMSS] . It would be unfeasible to do and AMLO anounced this lately. They are not going ahead with many promised changes as they also are not realistic to actually do. I don't think the Dos Bocas refinery and the Maya Train will be built either. I don't think dismantling the Federal Police within 2 years will happen either.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Although, I've changed direction a bit, it now looks like San Felipe will be a better fit for me, I hope to have my house in Maryland sold and on my way by end of February 2020. I can't wait for this adventure to begin. I'm getting a clearer picture from all that I've researched online but hearing from individuals is very reassuring. I want to be sure I have everything necessary taken care of. Thanks again from all that responded.

San Felipe is the hottest city in Mexico during the summers if I am not mistaken.

I did read that there are 2-3 months that the temperature gets up to 95 but I was hoping that the onshore breeze might help, I will be very near the water but.......not a fan of extreme heat.

Nope, just checked. Hermosillo hit 118 F this year, omg!

Ktheurer wrote:

I did read that there are 2-3 months that the temperature gets up to 95 but I was hoping that the onshore breeze might help, I will be very near the water but.......not a fan of extreme heat.

The hottest city is Mexicali. 106 to 115 everyday from April to Oct.. San Felipe is similar. There is no ocean breeze to speak of to cool things off usually. Both are a vertual infierno. A very dry desert heat with no humidity.

Ktheurer wrote:

Unless you don't believe in climate change, I think you will have to adjust to no weather guarantees anywhere. Several places in the world have had unusual record heat and or snow. Europe even got some hurricane action.

If you don't believe it, you will have to adjust anyway.

The area I am in can get pretty hot in the summer but is otherwise comfortable with breezes and fortunately no hurricanes this year.in this area. It's very pleasant currently in the Yucatan.

We talk about numbers in Celsius here. Multiply by 1.8 (or 9/5) and add 32. to convert the Fahrenheit, Think of it like converting money which you have to do more often due to an unstable exchange. If you start thinking in Celsius and pesos it will be a lot less stressful

Whatever you do , do yourself a favor and rent for at least six months and better yet one year . Thai is to see IF it is the right fit for you and you will also get to know the area so you don't pay WAY TOO MUCH for a house.
Better to rent.
The best of luck to you, how exciting !