Buying Property in the Famagusta Area?

Hi folks :)

My wife and I have been watching the housing market while waiting to see what happens with Brexit and any impact on retiring to Cyprus

We have noticed that there appear to be some very good deals avaliable on properties in the Famagusta area compared to say Paphos or Polis for example and not sure why this should be the case.

Obviously Fanagusta is pretty close to the disputed border with the north and - especially given the recent actions of Turkey in Syria and also their actions in drilling illegally off the Cyprus coast I was wondering whether it's potentially dangerous to consider purchasing property in the Famagusta area?

Your thoughts and suggestions etc. would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Jim

I have no real experience of the Famagusta area.... but your observation is correct there does seem to be a lot of good deals on property right now ...

I think its always best to go visit and see for your self and then ask the locals get the answers from those who know the area well

All I can say is the area does go very very quiet in the in the winter months but its horses for courses and it may suit

Thanks for the info. Toon

Much appreciated

Jim

Hi again - nobody else on here with any info.?

Thanks

Jim

sadly there are plenty of readers but very few responders

Thanks Toon - dure seems that way unfortunately - not getting any feedback from the other expats forum I posted this on either - perhaps I should post another question just asking for some feedback about the Famagusta area in general as we are interested in what it's like in terms of weather/humidity etc. and where the main expat communities are - scenery etc.?

Jim

I wish i could help you but i live in the paphos district...

My only other suggestion would be to find the "where why how" and "ask anything" pages for the areas you are interested in on Facespook and ask the questions you need answers to.. they are very active in the paphos district areas so I would suspect they will be similar activity.

good luck

Hi, we retired to Avgorou five years ago and yes the deals are much better in this area. It is a farming area rather than tourist, so ideal to retire to. Our village is getting up to date now though, we even have a bistro for eating out and drinking. There are of course all the local cafes and shops. People here are very friendly and we have no complaints. We are about a 25 min drive to Aya nap, and the sea shore. When we have family over they don't mind the short drive and it is worth it to have the quiet life here.  👍🏼👍🏼😎 Famagusta area.

Thanks for that - good to hear.

How do you find the weather and the scenery in comparison to the other side of the island?

Jim

this years experience of weather in Paphos district may not be a good comparison as its still lovely here during the day hitting 26-28 degrees.. unusual for this time of year.. it is usually much cooler than this in daytime and jumper / fleece weather at night

Cheers Toon - so what's the more normal temperature range for this time of year?

Jim

November- still sunny and a warmish 20-25 daytime dropping to 16-19 at night
December- still sunny and a warmish 17-22 daytime  dropping to 12-17 at night
January & February tends to be colder & wetter with about 50/50 rain/cloud and sunshine with the loudest of thunderstorms.... much louder than the thunderstorms i remember in 6yrs of living in Malta

It's not an awful lot different really. But it does seem to rain on different days as sometimes it's pouring down here and you go over the north....15 mins away , and it's dry as bone!  Other times you could be over there and it's raining, get home and there's nothing here. Bit like crossing over to Wales! 😂🤣.  Julie

Cheers Toon

Jim

Burnyhot wrote:

It's not an awful lot different really. But it does seem to rain on different days as sometimes it's pouring down here and you go over the north....15 mins away , and it's dry as bone!  Other times you could be over there and it's raining, get home and there's nothing here. Bit like crossing over to Wales! 😂🤣.  Julie

Thanks Julie

Jim