K Permit

Hi Everyone,
Mike Seymour here. Have been in Kenya for 3 weeks now. Was here in January this year for 1 month. Have come back this time with my wife and 15 year old daughter. We are planning to live here and are planning, in the process of apply for a K permit. We had a friend from Nairobi send us the check list but on logging in to the eFSN portal and looking at the checklist there it I noticed it is slightly different with the last item required for all permits being
“Valid organization Tax Compliance Certificate for new cases, and both valid organization and individual Tax Compliance Certificates for renewal cases.”
Does anyone know what this is and will it apply to my wife and myself.
Thanks in advance
Mike Seymour

Some more info here, it's a new regulation from July 1st....

http://www.ikm.co.ke/news/articles/2019 … -2019.html

You don't say if your wife is working or not, but if not then she would just have residency derived from your work permit, so *I believe* she should not be affected. If yours is a new work permit application (not renewal) then you would need a valid tax compliance certificate of your organization issued by the KRA to submit with your work permit application. At least that is my understanding...

Hi Mike,

I believe I posted a forum topic with regards to the new requirement to submit a Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC) when applying for permits.

Let me clarify that the TCC requirement is an effort by the Kenyan government to comply with global best practices on anti-money laundering (AML) and tax evasion. This implies that TCC only applies to revenue earning activities.

In your case, an expat residing in Kenya on a  K permit is not allowed to work for profitable gain. Hence the requirement that they should show proof of funds (capped at $ 24,000 annually) to prove they would be able to financially support themselves during their stay in Kenya.

TCC of your organization.. mostly applies to class D permits which are work permits and Individual TCC are required during renewal of work permits to ensure that expats working in Kenya remit their taxes here in Kenya.

Karibu Kenya :-)
-Peter

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : The free promotion of your services is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct