Received 1 Month Stamp on Entry. Can I extend another 2 months?

Hello All,

My wife and I just moved to Kenya under a single entry visa to begin our journey. We didn't realize our Visa stamp on entry had a written "1M" on it which we can only assume means 1 month.

I know that after the initial 90 days you can usually apply through the Foreign National Service (eFNS)... but what if you are just trying to get an additional 2 months on the original single entry visa? Would a quick trip to the Immigration office be sufficient to get an extension? We only have 1 week left on our 1 month stamp.

Appreciate any insight you may have.

Take One month Stamp

Yes, you can extend! You just go to the immigration office downtown. However, you may need to make an appointment, but it's easy and could be next day. Just make sure you get there at least a day before your 1 month is up. And in future, Always check when they stamp. These things happen often, so be a step ahead and everything will be fine.

I've been coming & going 14 1/2 years and we have lived here in Kisumu by beautiful lake Victoria nearly 3 years. It's so, so much nicer over here, than Nairobi. The people are so kind & helpful and you really get to know the people and the city as it's not so large and spread out like Phoenix or New York.

It reminds me of a town in Montana we lived in years past...

[link moderated]

If you guys want more information from someone who has learned the hard way about Kenya!

Moderated by Mickael last year
Reason : Do not publish your public data here. You can send it on private message
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

With a single entry tourist visa we are usually given 1 month first, which can then be extended to a further 2 months and then extended a further 3 months, by which time you've been allowed the full 6 months and have to leave the East African Community - not just Kenya.

You do not need to go anywhere to get the extensions , they expect you to do it online - it's simple.

Go to https://fns.immigration.go.ke, open an account and apply from there. You have to go back to your account in a couple of days to see if your extension has come through. It usually takes 2 to 3 days.

Apply for a 2 month extension first time and then a 3 month extension the second time.

You do not need to go to Nyayo House to get it stamped in your passport. Just print the notification of your extension and keep it in your passport.

I did it for 2 years until I got resident status.

You have a week - you can get it done. But don't delay and overstay the visa you have.

Thank you both for your responses!! We ended up going today (without an appointment) and we're able to get an additional 2 months. We did get lost a little (the entrance to the Foreigner's Office is to the left of the main building if you are facing it). We also did not complete the application online but were told that for the next extension we definitely had to.

The 2 months was in the form of an additional Square Kenyan Nairobi stamp with today's date and a stamp right above it which reads

Visitor's Pass

The Validity of this pass is extended

To:_____28.03.2023___________

Date:____27.01.2022__________

Overall, with no appointment and no online application, it does seems that we got lucky (we were very nice and respectful but also a bit pushy). Seems that the preferred process is to submit the request online as several soldiers asked for that on our way in. We will be trying that for the next 3 month extension.

Hi.  When you say you have moved to Kenya, you do realise that the single entry visa doesn't allow you to stay for over 6 months?  I won't repeat the information given in #4, however don't be tempted to overstay - its a serious offence in Kenya.

If you want to live in Kenya, the best option is to apply for one of the permits available, though the options are limited.  Work permits, cannot be applied for in country.

You can check the permits here:

https://immigration.go.ke/work-permits-passes/

@ben6973 you can extend  it..Just go and try and will be succ6.

@Longonot62 Thanks for the additional input. Yes, we are ready to exit the country at the 6 month mark and try our luck at returning and getting a fresh stamp. Hopefully by year end, I would qualify to start the residence process via the Type K permit. If that goes well, I hope my wife can apply and qualify for a dependant pass. Does all this sound correct and feasible?

Yes..you can carry on and do that..