What is needed to travel with my dog to PR?

I have read online at aphis.org and all it says is rabies vaccination which I already have but some people say you need a health certificate.  Has anyone transported their pet to and from PR recently and can provide some insight?  Thanks!!

*** DOGS and CATS ***
The certificate should not be originated from an area quarantined for rabies.
All dogs and cats over four (4) months of age must be vaccinated against rabies within six (6)
months prior to the date of shipment, shall be properly identified and accompanied by a
certificate of vaccination against rabies.
All breeds of Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, American Pit Bull terrier
and hybrids produced by crossbreeding with dogs of other breeds are prohibits be introducing or
importing to Puerto Rico.

rabies no older than 6 months and a health certificate no older than 10 days. Call the airline, they will give you details.

The prohibition on pit bull has been lifted. Due to size and weight your dog will need to travel in the belly of the plane and arrive early in the morning before ther temperature goes too high. You need coordinate with the airline.
Some airlines have slyly different requirements, everything needs to be coordinated correctly or you will miss the plane and your dog will arrive with you the next day or the dog may not be able to travel, it is complex, do not try to go for a cheap flight, do it all directly with the airline.

ReyP thank you!!  He is good to go with the airline and ready to fly.  Just wanted to confirm documentation once we get to PR.  Not sure how he would get an additional rabies shot, especially since his is good for 3 years.  Guess I will ask the vet when I go to get the health certificate.  Thanks!!

taryna wrote:

ReyP thank you!!  He is good to go with the airline and ready to fly.  Just wanted to confirm documentation once we get to PR.  Not sure how he would get an additional rabies shot, especially since his is good for 3 years.  Guess I will ask the vet when I go to get the health certificate.  Thanks!!

The dog will be taken to a different location in the airport and you will need to drive there to pick the dog. So get your transportation done first then go get the dog. Taxi, Uber or rental.