The pet culture in Puerto Rico

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Puerto Rico just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Puerto Rico by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Puerto Rico? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I would say there are more pets (cats, dogs and birds) than people in my neighborhood. That being said a lot of people keep their dogs outside or in the garage. I see a lot of people walking dogs in condado area. I feel that almost no one picks up poop which is kind of gross.

There are lots of good vets and many pet stores both mom and pop and big chains like you would see in the states.

PR has a huge problem with feral dogs and cats.  Many roam the streets and beaches unattended, looking for food.

It's really a shame to see so many animals with out homes.

I see affluent Puerto Ricans buying purebred Golden Retriever and Dachsund puppies while packs of starving (and friendly) dogs roam the streets. Makes you wonder about the P.R. mentality....

It is also a shame that a lot of people get a dog and chain it in their property, rarely or never letting it go inside the house and rerely showing the dog that it is loved.

Others have dogs that just roam the streets and that is a danger to kids, bicyclists, and the elderly.

In my experience, most dogs are not loved in PR, they are mostly there to bark at intruders and annoy everyone else with their constant barking. A real shame!!!

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many cats/dogs you can have in Puerto Rico?

I believe that there are no restrictions on the amount of pets you can have. just as long as theyre well taken care of. Food for thought, people in Puerto Rico are very observant as to have well you are taking care of your pet. They are also very quike to call the authority if the pets are not well taken care of.

Well as for me im trying ti assist my fatjer inlaw find home for 4 1yr old Begals. My father inlaw is getting older and his health is not so great he needs to find these adorable dogs a person who is willing to take over these pets.

@msotolopez237 Thank You! We are considering moving there when we retire, and would never part with our pets that are beloved family members.