A small victory...

For me, the most difficult part of living in Puerto Rico, by far, is witnessing the plight of homeless animals and their maltreatment - It's like a sledgehammer to the soul.

A couple of weeks ago, San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz signed an order that bans the operation of horse drawn carriages in OSJ after numerous complaints to the PR Tourism Company alleging abuse to the horses.  Recently, a horse collapsed on the street and was captured with photos and video that went viral on social media.

Hopefully this small victory will lead to more changes overall for all animals on the island.  There are many wonderful people and rescue organizations working tirelessly here making a difference to satos and gatos.  Congratulations Mayor, I sincerely applaud your efforts.

I agree that abandoned dogs could be the number one problem on the Island if you leave politics out of the equation. We adopted  a puppy that came from the beaches of Rincon and he turned out to be the most special of dogs.Next I would consider litter a major problem as it seems ALL carry out food comes in Styrofoam and plastic bags. One weekend with a reunion of folks at the beach can leave a blanket of white trash that stays around until another conscientious group comes along and picks up the mess. Noise is serious factor that can happen at all hours of the night into dawn, Why someone would think that others would be at all interested in there boom box noise at 3 in the morning is about as comprehensible as how a beautiful puppy or dog can be abandoned. even with all this there are factors that make living in Puerto Rico quite delightful.

That is a step and bravo to the Mayor!  Yes, it would be wonderful to see the animals off the streets and taken care of.  It is heartbreaking to see animal abuse :(

I've sent SEVERAL dogs to the states from here... I  gave yp because of finances. Most of the "old school rescue orgs" are very guarded with information about helping to ship dogs out; they are very territorial, and tend to view this as a business of finance, when it should be one of the heart... if you rescue, and this doesn't pertain to you, don't be offended. I  can only speak for those I have been involved with.

Years ago, the gov signed into effect, law 154; pertaining to the treatment of animals... most here saw this as a victory too, but in such towns as Guayama, where I once lived, there is ONE officer, covering all of Guayama, and three additional cities... for all three police shifts!

There was a collapsed horse in Salinas, on a road that was the only way into & out of a vets office... how was it possible for anyone who worked there, to ignore a suffering horse!? Somehow, they managed to. This was about 3 1/2 yrs ago.
I hope things change; but it only seems to do so, when the local govt is embarrassed by a cruelty video, that goes "viral", as the case where a Veterinarian, charged with "euthanasia" of stray dogs, ended up taking loving pets from owners in public housing (telling them they weren't allowed dogs, in federal housing; which is contrary to federal regs)... the Veterinarian was later videoed, throwing dogs off a tall bridge, some surviving the fall, and in agonizing pain! This led to the creation of Law 154... which is now not taken seriously... and won't be, unless,  (like domestic violence & drug related offenses), have federal funds thrown at it, therefore creating a steady "income" for the islands' "justice" system... forgive my rant; again, I speak of what I have witnessed.

Oh, my goodness, Mac, how horrible!  I didn't realize it was that bad.  I see people put up links on FB showing animals that have been mistreated horribly and were rescued but I can't even bring myself to open the link or look at the pictures as it so heartbreaking.  It is beyond me how a human being can be so cruel.

Mac, I heard about that atrocity with the veterinarian along with other horrible incidents at Dead Dog Beach and other places on the island.  We live across from a construction zone and its not uncommon for people to come across boxes of abandoned puppies and kittens.

Like I said in the OP, there are some people here doing some great work, but it's not cheap.  They need all the help they can, and I keep mentioning to friends and family that organizations can use donations.  This holiday season instead of exchanging gifts, my wife and I made contributions to several reputable rescue organizations.  For all practical purposes, it may have resulted in only one dog or cat saved, but every little bit helps.

Bless you for your good work, Trekrider!

Two words: Spay & Neuter. That is the most effective method in combating the population problem. Stiff penalties for neglect and/abuse (enforcement of laws already on the books), and education, beginning at the 1st grade.

Do a search on youtube,  for 100,000; it's a documentary about the stray epidemic here. Not watching it won't make the problem  go away.  Particularly disturbing is at about 6:30 into the film, they begin polling men about spay/neuter... the reaction by the men seems to be the general consensus, among the indigenous male population... my challenge to you: watch & comment... even if it is just that part at 6min:30 seconds.

You got that right, trekrider!

Once I move to PR I plan to talk to the local shelter to see how they operate. If I like what I see I plan to contribute some amount on a monthly bases. I am a dog lover but I can not take them in.

Please everyone...watch this Emmy award winning Documentary 100,000 Dogs that Mac recommends about the overpopulation and stray dogs in PR. Also shelters here do not operate the way you might expect...the film gives examples of this...please donate instead to a Rescue organization!

Dora.. is correct; shelters are generally kill shelters,;while rescues & sanctuaries are not. The lady in the documentary in Guayama is a retired Navy Captain; she spends all her time & money, caring for 500+ dogs/month. She administers chemotherapy to cancer dogs, and is heart broken any of them have to die...

Terrible to hear about the animals I will be moving soon to PR I heard about the dogs called Satos. Once I get settled I will be looking to adopt one where is the best place to start? I will be in Luquillo...Johnny

Chances are you will run into a stray dog on the beach or the street and you will decide that it would be better off living with you.  This is how I have adopted several dogs.  I brought some to New York and found them homes, but I kept two for myself.  When you get settled, and if you do not find one on the street, reach out to us and we will connect you with a rescue group.

Thank you I will ....Johnny

Johnnyhulk wrote:

Terrible to hear about the animals I will be moving soon to PR I heard about the dogs called Satos. Once I get settled I will be looking to adopt one where is the best place to start? I will be in Luquillo...Johnny

Sato is just a slang for "mutt" or "mixed breed"...

FYI:  this same person directed THE LAST COLONY which is in Movie theaters now.....

Also, Christie Bickles does an amazing job with few funds at Dead Dog beach and GLORIA MARTI runs Save a Sato shelter in San Juan.... Amazing people trying to help our precious animals..  you can find them both on FB

you can pick on up and save a life (I did) but you can also go to Dead Dog Beach project, El Faro  in the Fajardo area (Nancy Madden) or Save a Sato( Gloria Marti)  these guys pick up dozens a day, love them, care for them and help them with little of no funds.  If you can support them with even a dollar it helps.   they are all on FB.
and of course Spay and Neuter...  t

I used to bring food, to one of the beaches, in Arroyo, along with a few other people. There was an older man, who did this daily, as did I. One day, the other man stopped showing up, so it seemed it was only me bringing food. I saw this pack of dogs, one of them a female who had given birth to a litter of six puppies. Once food started getting more scarce, the smallest/weakest of that litter was forced out, to fend for herself...  to make survival odds better for the larger/stronger puppies (survival of the fittest). This dog was very cute; she looked like a Lab-mix. I took her to a local vet, got her dewormed, vitamin shots, and bathed. Within a month, she was looking MUCH better.

I named her Sadie, I estimated her age at the time, to be about 4 months. She was taller than my Jack Russell at the time, (he weighed 17.5lbs), but she only weighed 11lbs, she was severely malnurished!  Sadie quickly gained weight, and became healthy. Sadie stole my heart, with her sweetness, and It doesn't seem that it's been eight years now, that she has been a member of my family. My wife, (Alice), and I currently have four dogs, three of them rescues.

I would recommend a shelter in your area, (almost all of them kill dogs they cannot place), or a rescue/sancuary... don't be afraid to pick up a stray, wandering around the beaches, or streets either!

amigosdelosanimalespr.org
http://dog.rescueme.org/pr

Thank God for some good hearted caring people! We need more of that in this cruel world we live in. Thanks for all the info . ...

Thanks everyone - this is some great information that's being shared.  We contribute mainly to one rescue organization, so thanks for info on some others - we'll be sure to contribute to more.