Employing Non-EU Girlfriend in my Malta Company

Hello Everyone,

I am from Germany, but am moving to Malta in the next few month to set-up my new business.

I have been with my non-eu girlfriend (USA) for almost 2 years.

Since I am setting up my company in Malta, I was wondering what the best way would be to bring her to Malta so that we can live there together, without having to go in and out of the EU every 90 days for 90 days.

I wanted to employ her in Malta so that she can also have an income and help me with my business, as she has been doing for while now.

Is it easy to get a work permit for a Non-EU Person? Considering my company is newly established.

Or what other alternatives do I have? Other than marriage.

Thank you so much

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'll leave the Maltese specific stuff to our Malta experts, but in general, the 90 days EU Schengen visa is 90 days out of 180, you can't cross the border and restart the clock; she also can't work on a Schengen visa; there is a Schengen visa website specifically for this; this link will take you there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

@cynic

Thank you for the quick reply and the website link.

I am aware of the problematic with the 90/180 rule in the EU, unfortunately we have been dealing with this issue for almost 2 years. Regardless I am thankful for you time.

I am looking for away so that she can stay in Malta for longer than a normal Schengen Visa provides.

And was hoping that if I apply for a workpermit through my company for her, that that would be the easiest way.

Thank you again

I see only 2 solutions for your question. Either marriage or make her partner in your business. In such a case she would not count as an employee who needs a work permit. As a partner in business she would count as an investor. Investors are always welcome over here. However, you have to convince the authorities over here. Perhaps contact the local chamber of industry and commerce about further advice to find out what kind of investment is promoted right now.