Vietnam,...a Vietnamese_American expat's perspective.

Please note the following is not the considered opinion of the OP, but a forwarded copy of a post made to the Quora_Home social media platform. It is posted here, simply for academic considerations only,
...especially for those SE Asia “Retirement” location seeking western expats. Thank you,... :cheers:

What is wrong with Vietnam? ....Answered on Apr 23, 2018,...by Theresa Tran (a U.S. citizen)

"First,…I am 100% Vietnamese, but born in America and raised by Vietnamese parents who found their way to America after the war ended. I've visited Vietnam over 20 times—each time spanning from 2 weeks to 4 months (depending on my employment status at the time).

There are many things ‘wrong' with Vietnam but bear in mind there are a thousand things that make Vietnam a wonderful place to visit and even live. Below are tidbits of my personal experience.

1.    CORRUPTION is the number one problem in Vietnam. It leads to distrust in the government, poor public services and overall a harsher lifestyle for everyone. I will give firsthand examples of each below.

a.Government: - As one other writer, Nho Pham, here noted: Vietnam has ranked 119 out of 174 countries and territories in the Corruption Perceptions Index 2014. Here are some examples I've witnessed:

i.    Airports: - Growing up, my parents always made sure to get to TSN airport in HCM with cash in hand. We always stuffed $10 and $20 bills in our passports to get by with no issues. It wasn't until I was about 18, that I started experiencing the hassles at the passport desk. While I thought speaking Vietnamese would spark some sort of common understanding—I quickly learned that just replying in English made them go away. Money was always requested before you departed the baggage claim. A man once told me “I know you have like iPhones in your bag, just give me $20 for coffee and you can go.”

ii. Law  Enforcement: - A few years ago, my dad purchased a van for my family in Vietnam to use to run a business and to drive our family around. We were pulled over for a small traffic violation. The officer approached my dad's driver's side window and he asked him to explain what happened. As my dad started talking the officer interrupted him and said: “Wait, you're American here on holiday aren't you?” My dad insisted we're just visiting our family and to please let us go......

Then he (the police officer) prompted my family to step out of the car. They confiscated our vehicle and we had to take a cab home—all 7+ of us. That night, my dad received a call and he was given the name of a restaurant. The officer showed up with his other officer friends and proceeded with a night of feasting, drinking, and girls. At the end of the night, after my dad picked up the bill—he said he'd be in contact. The next night, they told him to meet at yet another restaurant. Only after another night, did we get our car back. This is the most extreme of cases.

iii.    I've had another incident where my cousin was told “this isn't even enough money for coffee” after being pulled over and being prompted for a bribe. She forked over 500,000 VND. The average cost of a cup of coffee is around 25,000 dong. I had to give her all the cash I had as well. Only then, did he let us go.

Another incident while riding on a motorbike with my (young and attractive, lol) aunt, the officer asked her where she lived and when she responded she doesn't know her address, he asked how she was going to get home. She responded, please just take the cash and help me out and let me go. He then asked for her number and when she said she didn't know it, he responded by asking how would he contact her to hang out if she didn't know it. Many more of these experiences that I'll spare.

iv.    Running a business: - I once asked my dad while eating at a restaurant on the street, this is such a nice little business. Why don't we run one like this? He replied, “Who's going to let us do such a thing?” Growing up American, I asked what he meant. He told me stories of how law enforcement operates much like the mafia. He told me without “permission,” that once you set up shop, men IN UNIFORM would come to turn your restaurant upside down, asking you who gave you permission to be here. While I haven't experienced this one, firsthand, there seem to be “fees” associated with running a small business in the city that many people, aside from my dad have spoken of.

2.  Public Services

a.    Roads - Roads that connect cities to one another are often riddled with broke concrete that exposes giant pieces of rocks underneath that concrete. When I asked why the Vietnamese roads are not paved with smooth concrete or at least smaller rocks, the response always is something along the lines of “Yes, that's the way it should be—if someone wasn't taking a cut. These roads are cheated. The materials are cheap because by the time the money gets passed down to the actual road construction, there is very little left.”

b. Schools - No education is free. At the college level, students who opt to major in disciplines such as Marxism are given discounts, lol.

c.    Buses - Anyone who has ridden a Vietnamese bus already knows how different this is.

d.    Hospitals - Man oh man, when my grandma was in the hospital, a public one due to her health insurance, I had an eye-opening experience. People were doubled up on beds. Nurses don't care for patients as they do in the states—they're only there to administer medicine, check vitals, etc. Each patient has a family member who sleeps on the floor next to their bed and tends to them.

These caregivers are seen in the bathrooms pouring bodily fluids, that on the LIVER ILLNESSES hospital floor, for example, come from the liver lol into the sinks in the restroom. Golly. At night, patients waiting for care sleep on the lobby floor along with family members. No soap in bathrooms. Coolers with bags of blood, that caretakers have to purchase from the pharmacy downstairs, sit at the foot of the patients' beds waiting for the nurses. Beds are pushed out to the balconies and fill up space there because the rooms are full or are simply too hot.

3.    See how these few things can make life a little harder?
    a.In addition to the things above, there seems to be no regulation of drugs or food and no one monitoring the quality or safety. Also, it seems like brands are free to make any claims they want without any repercussions. Interesting, right?

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to answer this question."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-wrong-wit … esa-Tran-7

Thank you Jana611 for posting this.... This is so truth and it is sad of seeing people have to go through this.  I think Vietnam is on the path of getting better but it is going very slow compare to any other country...

Rahj_Devon wrote:

Thank you Jana611 for posting this.... This is so truth and it is sad of seeing people have to go through this.  I think Vietnam is on the path of getting better but it is going very slow compare to any other country...

Fyi ~ There are no "any other countries" for comparison. Vietnam is in a SE Asian league of its own...

From a cultural point of view,...Vietnam is the exact same country...it was 50 years ago, from what I've been told by Vietnamese people,...in the know.

Thus,...please do not "hold your breath"...while waiting for Vietnam to up-grade "itself",...even to a par values level...with other SE Asian countries. That's just "the way" it is,..in VN,...from what I've been told.  :cheers:

jana611 wrote:

From a cultural point of view,...Vietnam is the exact same country...it was 50 years ago, from what I've been told by Vietnamese people,...in the know.

That's not true.  I was in my late teens 50 years ago, and the country was better all around. 

Fifty years ago, every high school graduate was able to read, write, and speak 2 foreign languages after 7 years of 1st foreign language at 7 hrs/wk and 3 years of 2nd foreign language at 5 hrs/wk, all without any cost to the parents.  That's public school education. 

Fifty years ago, attending university overseas (mostly France, Switzerland, Germany, the US, and Canada) was not a pipe dream even if one was not born into a rich family.  Two reasons: 

1/ merit scholarships were available
2/ student visa was not difficult to attain

In my extended family alone, there were 6 people who studied overseas:  two in France, one in Canada, one in Switzerland, and two in the US.  All but one received full scholarship.

Fifty years ago, during my first year in college, I worked part time in a doctor's office.  My interview lasted almost 2 hours and consisted of: reading comprehension and conversation in French, taking dictation by hand, then typing the transcript in both Vietnamese and French, with some English translation when needed.  I doubt there are many 18 years old in Vietnam today who can pass the interview, let alone perform that required duty regularly.

Fifty years ago, we already had washing machine and TV in our house, and we were only middle class (educators did not earn big salary).  My brothers drove a Simca and a Citroën 2CV; I rode a Honda Dame to school and work. 

Fifty years ago, popular movies, music, and books from Europe and the US were also popular in Vietnam.  My generation was well versed on Chanson Française, Sartre, Sagan, Proust, Camus, Joseph Heller, Hermann Hesse, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, The Beatles, Dusty Springfield, Nietzsche, Dostoyevsky, Solzhenitsyn, Erich Maria Remarque, etc.  Many of us read the books, sang the songs, and watched the movies in the original languages.  For my major, I was required to take another year of French and English, plus one year of Sanskrit and Chinese (just enough to read selected paragraphs of Foundation of Knowledge and Lao Tzu.)

Fifty years ago, there's a nightly program on the radio called m Nhạc Cổ Điển Bình Giải (Classical Music Commentary) in which all the classical works ever composed were played and explained in details to the listeners.  I don't remember when the program debuted, only that my father introduced it to me when I was 9, and I listened every night until I entered college. 

Fifty years ago, supermarkets, escalators (the first one was in Grands Magasins Charner aka Thương Xá TAX), and A/C were already part of life in Saigon.

I could write more, but nostalgia has its time and place. 

jana611 wrote:

Thus,...please do not "hold your breath"...while waiting for Vietnam to up-grade "itself",...even to a par values level...with other SE Asian countries. That's just "the way" it is,..in VN,...from what I've been told.  :cheers:

Constant comparing one country to another only brings joy to the whiners and the disgruntled hearts. 

The way I see it, if a person doesn't like a country, there's no reason for him/her to continue staying/working there unless s/he doesn't have a choice. 

To anyone who doesn't live in a particular country: what's the purpose of incessantly pointing out that country's negative points?  It's not as if we don't know about the good, the bad, and the ugly of the society in which we live. 

I've learned a lot in almost 7 decades of living and travelling the world.  One of the things I learned is that holding on to a strong dislike of something to the point of nonstop harping is not the best way to live.  If you can't do anything about it, let it go.

jana611 wrote:
Rahj_Devon wrote:

Fyi ~ There are no "any other countries" for comparison. Vietnam is in a SE Asian league of its own...

Thank you for your sharing, but it doesn't make sense, you should go back to USA and have better life with less complaints.

Thank you, Ciambella. That was very well said. There was a very good reason to be Vietnamese in the pre-1975 timeframe. I have seen many good examples of the culture of Vietnam. Your generation was much better educated than was mine, of the same timeframe. There was a good reason for Keneddy to want to commit American resources to Vietnam. And there is still ample reason to admire your culture over mine.
I understand the nature of this thread.

Ciambella, as you wrote, you belong to upper crust of the society, well educated. I lived pre and post 75,  I could not recall any one I know going to college. Men in neighborhood became air force pilot and army officer after finished 12th grade during war time. Enlisted men last average 6 months came home with body.

Public hospitals has not changed since, the nurses are angels from hell.
Corruption is a part of SE Asia disease, won't be eradicated, I witnessed cops confiscated drug from user, consumed it themselves at coffee shop near by pre 75. Pre 75 you can brought in entire North army into city (as long as hidden out of sight), as long as you paid the traffic inspection cop (folding news paper with money in it)

Came back 1997 for 6 days, nothing changed from 1975, down town Saigon, to Kennedy square (front of Notre Dame catheral). Since early 2000's, Vietnam has changed at neck breaking speed. So much change, I will need map to travel when I come back (2020), landscape is no longer the same.

Vietnamese are caring people when come to helping neighbors, who is in need, no matter how bad or mean the person is or was.

Very proud history, hard working, and forgiving people, I love the most about the Vietnamese, they are very determined (hard head)

Ciambella wrote:
jana611 wrote:

That's not true.  I was in my late teens 50 years ago, and the country was better all around. 

Fifty years ago, every high school graduate was able to read, write, and speak 2 foreign languages after 7 years of 1st foreign language at 7 hrs/wk and 3 years of 2nd foreign language at 5 hrs/wk, all without any cost to the parents.  That's public school education. 

Fifty years ago, attending university overseas (mostly France, Switzerland, Germany, the US, and Canada) was not a pipe dream even if one was not born into a rich family.  Two reasons: 

1/ merit scholarships were available
2/ student visa was not difficult to attain

In my extended family alone, there were 6 people who studied overseas:  two in France, one in Canada, one in Switzerland, and two in the US.  All but one received full scholarship.

Fifty years ago, during my first year in college, I worked part time in a doctor's office.  My interview lasted almost 2 hours and consisted of: reading comprehension and conversation in French, taking dictation by hand, then typing the transcript in both Vietnamese and French, with some English translation when needed.  I doubt there are many 18 years old in Vietnam today who can pass the interview, let alone perform that required duty regularly.

Fifty years ago, we already had washing machine and TV in our house, and we were only middle class (educators did not earn big salary).  My brothers drove a Simca and a Citroën 2CV; I rode a Honda Dame to school and work. 

Fifty years ago, popular movies, music, and books from Europe and the US were also popular in Vietnam.  My generation was well versed on Chanson Française, Sartre, Sagan, Proust, Camus, Joseph Heller, Hermann Hesse, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, The Beatles, Dusty Springfield, Nietzsche, Dostoyevsky, Solzhenitsyn, Erich Maria Remarque, etc.  Many of us read the books, sang the songs, and watched the movies in the original languages.  For my major, I was required to take another year of French and English, plus one year of Sanskrit and Chinese (just enough to read selected paragraphs of Foundation of Knowledge and Lao Tzu.)

Fifty years ago, there's a nightly program on the radio called m Nhạc Cổ Điển Bình Giải (Classical Music Commentary) in which all the classical works ever composed were played and explained in details to the listeners.  I don't remember when the program debuted, only that my father introduced it to me when I was 9, and I listened every night until I entered college. 

Fifty years ago, supermarkets, escalators (the first one was in Grands Magasins Charner aka Thương Xá TAX), and A/C were already part of life in Saigon.

I could write more, but nostalgia has its time and place. 

jana611 wrote:

Constant comparing one country to another only brings joy to the whiners and the disgruntled hearts. 

The way I see it, if a person doesn't like a country, there's no reason for him/her to continue staying/working there unless s/he doesn't have a choice. 

To anyone who doesn't live in a particular country: what's the purpose of incessantly pointing out that country's negative points?  It's not as if we don't know about the good, the bad, and the ugly of the society in which we live. 

I've learned a lot in almost 7 decades of living and travelling the world.  One of the things I learned is that holding on to a strong dislike of something to the point of nonstop harping is not the best way to live.  If you can't do anything about it, let it go.

You're absolutely right ^,...sir! :cheers:

<<< You're absolutely right ^,...sir >>>

Ciambella is a very dear lady.

Contem talk wrote:
jana611 wrote:
Rahj_Devon wrote:

Thank you for your sharing, but it doesn't make sense, you should go back to USA and have better life with less complaints.

Firstly,...the topic-comment point is about Vietnam,...compared to other SE Asian nations,...not the U.S.A.

Secondly (FYI),..I do not post comments to this forum, due to some pubescent need to prove my knowledge base (to complete strangers) with verbose, one-upmanship challenge games...toward other subscribers. Done.

In fact,..I simply post the information conveyed to me by home-grown (non-HI_SO) Vietnamese citizens. Those folks are certainly more knowledgeable than me,... :whistle: particularly so regarding the traditional (inner_workings)  "system of things" within their own culture.

Thanks to Buddha,...I was not born a "know-it-all". Moving progressively along...with no complaints. :cheers:

Jim-Minh wrote:

<<< You're absolutely right ^,...sir >>>

Ciambella is a very dear lady.

Merci,..! Madam/Monsieur,...bon soir! :cheers:

Can we all just get along?  >>>>>>>>>>>>> LOL.....

jana611 wrote:

Firstly,...the topic-comment point is about Vietnam,...compared to other SE Asian nations,...not the U.S.A.

Secondly (FYI),..I do not post comments to this forum, due to some pubescent need to prove my knowledge base (to complete strangers) with verbose, one-upmanship challenge games...toward other subscribers. Done.

In fact,..I simply post the information conveyed to me by home-grown (non-HI_SO) Vietnamese citizens. Those folks are certainly more knowledgeable than me,... :whistle: particularly so regarding the traditional (inner_workings)  "system of things" within their own culture.

Thanks to Buddha,...I was not born a "know-it-all". Moving progressively along...with no complaints. :cheers:

So what exactly is your point?
I seem to have missed it.

You repost other's negative comments about Vietnam and then play the innocent bystander, with no responsibility for those words.

that's pretty much the definition of Fake News. "I heard ..."
"But I'm not a bad person, because i did not say that!"

And what's your connection to Vietnam?

Just asking

jana611 wrote:

You repost other's negative comments about Vietnam and then play the innocent bystander, with no responsibility for those words.

Just asking

Anyone who thinks that the small-time petty corruption in Vietnam or other SE Asian countries holds a candle to the pandemic systemic corruption in, for example, Europe and the USA needs to pull their heads out of their arses, turn off the propaganda-box and learn to think for themselves.

In the West we are robbed blind from cradle to grave seven ways from Sunday. Sure, it's dressed up in a fancy veneer but it's orders of magnitude more oppressive than anything in Vietnam.

Vietnam is a long way from perfect but there are good reasons that so many Westerners prefer life here, it isn't just because stuff is a bit cheaper...

And most of the Vietnamese people I've met have been awesome, many of them force me to up my game, complete opposite of the brainwashed entitled halfwits that constitute much of Western populations.

Damn, that was a fine cup of coffee.  :D

Brick23 wrote:

Anyone who thinks that the small-time petty corruption in Vietnam or other SE Asian countries holds a candle to the pandemic systemic corruption in, for example, Europe and the USA needs to pull their heads out of their arses, turn off the propaganda-box and learn to think for themselves.

In the West we are robbed blind from cradle to grave seven ways from Sunday. Sure, it's dressed up in a fancy veneer but it's orders of magnitude more oppressive than anything in Vietnam.

Vietnam is a long way from perfect but there are good reasons that so many Westerners prefer life here, it isn't just because stuff is a bit cheaper...

And most of the Vietnamese people I've met have been awesome, many of them force me to up my game, complete opposite of the brainwashed entitled halfwits that constitute much of Western populations.

Looks like things didnt work out for you in a Western society.

jana611 wrote:
Contem talk wrote:
jana611 wrote:

Just admit that you are trolling.

Anyone who thinks that the small-time petty corruption in Vietnam or other SE Asian countries holds a candle to the pandemic systemic corruption in, for example, Europe and the USA needs to pull their heads out of their arses,

Wonder where the small time petty corrupt people here get the money to buy the 5 to 10 billion VND hot cars I see on the streets here & can afford to buy the apartments & villa,s for sale at 5 to 50 billion VND? They must work really hard I suppose!

colinoscapee wrote:

Looks like things didnt work out for you in a Western society.

I do OK most places, but Western society isn't so kind to many and is heading downhill fast. 

So yes, I prefer life here :)

moscowmetro wrote:

Anyone who thinks that the small-time petty corruption in Vietnam or other SE Asian countries holds a candle to the pandemic systemic corruption in, for example, Europe and the USA needs to pull their heads out of their arses,

Wonder where the small time petty corrupt people here get the money to buy the 5 to 10 billion VND hot cars I see on the streets here & can afford to buy the apartments & villa,s for sale at 5 to 50 billion VND? They must work really hard I suppose!

I was mostly pointing out the difference in scale.

You think the rich anywhere do an honest days work?

Brick23 wrote:
moscowmetro wrote:

I was mostly pointing out the difference in scale.

You think the rich anywhere do an honest days work?

Some do & some dont I suppose, looks like you got a big chip on your shoulder! but considering the West is predominintly capitalist societies & this is a communist country its difficult to compare where your comparison on levels of corruption are coming from & by your statements you seem to think all rich Western people are automatically corrupt & I for one dont wear that one.

moscowmetro wrote:

Some do & some dont I suppose, looks like you got a big chip on your shoulder! but considering the West is predominintly capitalist societies & this is a communist country its difficult to compare where your comparison on levels of corruption are coming from & by your statements you seem to think all rich Western people are automatically corrupt & I for one dont wear that one.

I think that in everyday practice, Vietnam is far closer to capitalism than the increasingly socialist West has been for a long time.

But I think arguing politics is frowned upon here so I'll shut up. We all have our teasons for being where we are.

Brick23 wrote:

Putting the West on the same level as Vietnam or other emerging economies in terms of corruption is a joke.
There is a corruption index.
Or do you think that's fake news?
https://www.transparency.org/cpi2018

Wxx3 wrote:
jana611 wrote:

Just asking

:cheers:

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
jana611 wrote:
Contem talk wrote:

Just admit that you are trolling.

No sir!,...I'm not trolling. In fact, I'm quite disappointed in you for making that accusation.

Actually,..I was of the impression that you ranked among the more "cognizant" expats,... regarding the real world of things VN. Wrong again,...I suppose. Nobody's perfect,...eh?

Anyway, thank you for your kindly help to me,...on the forum. Good day to you.  :cheers:

AkaMaverick wrote:

Putting the West on the same level as Vietnam or other emerging economies in terms of corruption is a joke.

That index is based on perceived corruption. It's a subjective approach. There's less occurrences of corruption in the West but when they happen, they're for huge amounts. So I'm not sure what's best, thousands of bribes of $20 to a police officer or public servant in Vietnam or a few hundreds bribes of USD$20M+ to government ministers in the West? It happens less, but for much bigger amounts.

Personally, I love Vietnam because this is the only country where I can actually afford a bribe :lol:

jana611 wrote:

Actually,..I was of the impression that you are "cognizant",...regarding the real world of VN. Wrong again,...I suppose.

Anyway, thank you for your kindly help to me,...on the forum. Good day to you.  :cheers:

Yeah, knowing the world through "people in the know" instead of knowing it yourself is an amazing may to discover the world. It's like travelling with Google Earth. A cheap and efficient way to open your mind to other cultures!

WillyBaldy wrote:
jana611 wrote:

Actually,..I was of the impression that you are "cognizant",...regarding the real world of VN. Wrong again,...I suppose.

Yeah, knowing the world through "people in the know" instead of knowing it yourself is an amazing may to discover the world. It's like travelling with Google Earth. A cheap and efficient way to open your mind to other cultures!

Thank you for making the effort to actually read my comments. :cheers:

jana611 wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:
jana611 wrote:

I think you missed the irony in my reply but this just adds to the fun. Thanks for your support :cool:

WillyBaldy wrote:
jana611 wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

I think you missed the irony in my reply but this just adds to the fun. Thanks for your support :cool:

"It's like travelling with Google Earth.",..etc.?  :cool:

WillyBaldy wrote:
jana611 wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

BTW,..English is my third language.

Anyway,...I was advised,...(during my childhood days),...that it is wise to learn the lessons of life, ...through the experiences of people...who have already been there, done that,...and have the T-shirts to prove it. So much for my "troll" postings,...eh?  ;)

[deleted]

Books have been written about western expats, in SE Asia,...determined to learn "everything" about local cultural values,...and realities...the hard way.

One such book is "Money Number One", by Aloysius Bartholemew Thistlewaite (a Brit). I read the book 10 years ago, and I was totally stunned and learned a lot about myself, and my own people,...as seen through the eyes of a westerner.

Since that reading, I have paid close, more objective observations to those western perspectives, as noted in that book.  Sadly,...I must now admit,  the author was approx. 90% spot-on.

Three follow-ups to that book, by Neil Hutchison, are "A Fool in Paradise",...The Fool Is Back" (for an encore) and "A Fools Diary" (conclusively).

Now,...SE Asian (Buddhist) cultural values are "fundamentally" the same,...across the board.

Sadly,...SE Asian people (across the board) are burdened with the exact same societal issues. There are huge (economic) "disparity" issues between those who have,...and those have not. And,..that scenario is a historically,...long-standing,...irrefutable fact,...not a fantasy.

As previously stated, a government that refuses to accept its own national currency, as legal tender paid,...for services rendered to a foreigner, vis-a-vis,...is certainly not a SE Asian location, that a SE Asian person would choose for retirement living,...regardless of pristine beachfront locations.

Remember..,.the wise western adage "When in Rome,...etc."...? Arrivederci...folks :top:

Good answer

Peeweeaz1 wrote:

Good answer

Thank you

Brick23 wrote:

Compared to what I've been told, by several U.S. expats, your post is spot on. Also,...I have heard some interesting success stories about the former Vietnamese (boat) people,... in the U.S.

Indeed,...I also have an abiding respect for the Vietnamese "people". Sadly, they are (obviously) plagued with the same form of power-elite government "personnel"...as their U.S. counterparts.

And yes, your post was a fine "cup of coffee". Thanks for sharing. Cheers.

If you think for one second that a Viet cop wanting to "shakedown" a Viet Kieu for a fabricated traffic infraction, compares in any way to the corruption of the grab of 20% of the American economy that is health care, or of the total fabrication of the scam that is "global warming" that is an attempt to usurp and control the world's energy sector, or to allow millions of illegal aliens to pollute the American voting block, you are out of your mind.
The graphic that paints America as a country of only 20% or 30% corrupt is sadly wrong.
American Media is profoundly corrupt and owned by socialists.
How does that differ from our "freedom of the press"? 
I have seen the Viet Kieu exploited. And I was very, very uncomfortable.
But the corruption of the American politicians compared to the infractions of the Vietnamese government is a candle compared to a nuclear bomb.
If a Vietnamese leader set up a foundation that sold VIETNAMESE political favors that funneled billions of billions of VIETNAMESE money to a private account, that individual would just disappear. That account is the Clinton foundation. That is just one tiny example compared to what has been squandered in the name of government funding.

Corruption of the level of what we have in America sets a new high of lows. I am absolutely disgusted.

If the Vietnamese leaders had the resources of America to exploit, the abuses of America might be exceeded, but I can't imagine how.

Good Lord.

Jim-Minh wrote:

If you think for one second that a Viet cop wanting to "shakedown" a Viet Kieu for a fabricated traffic infraction, compares in any way to the corruption of the grab of 20% of the American economy that is health care, or of the total fabrication of the scam that is "global warming" that is an attempt to usurp and control the world's energy sector, or to allow millions of illegal aliens to pollute the American voting block, you are out of your mind.
The graphic that paints America as a country of only 20% or 30% corrupt is sadly wrong.
American Media is profoundly corrupt and owned by socialists.
How does that differ from our "freedom of the press"? 
I have seen the Viet Kieu exploited. And I was very, very uncomfortable.
But the corruption of the American politicians compared to the infractions of the Vietnamese government is a candle compared to a nuclear bomb.
If a Vietnamese leader set up a foundation that sold VIETNAMESE political favors that funneled billions of billions of VIETNAMESE money to a private account, that individual would just disappear. That account is the Clinton foundation. That is just one tiny example compared to what has been squandered in the name of government funding.

Corruption of the level of what we have in America sets a new high of lows. I am absolutely disgusted.

If the Vietnamese leaders had the resources of America to exploit, the abuses of America might be exceeded, but I can't imagine how.

Good Lord.

We're all starting to know you're a Trump footmen.
Unbelievable how much hate your president can inflict on the rather uneducated part of the electorate with 13 thousand lies in 1000 days of office.
But there is one good thing.
The USA loses more and more influence in world affairs.
No one can take this country seriously any more.

WillyBaldy wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:

That index is based on perceived corruption. It's a subjective approach. There's less occurrences of corruption in the West but when they happen, they're for huge amounts. So I'm not sure what's best, thousands of bribes of $20 to a police officer or public servant in Vietnam or a few hundreds bribes of USD$20M+ to government ministers in the West? It happens less, but for much bigger amounts.

Personally, I love Vietnam because this is the only country where I can actually afford a bribe :lol:

I wouldnt call the 4.8 billion usd Vinashin debacle small corruption, or the billions stolen by Petro officials and banking officials.

colinoscapee wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:

I wouldnt call the 4.8 billion usd Vinashin debacle small corruption, or the billions stolen by Petro officials and banking officials.

There's definitely some events with huge amounts, put it pales compared to countries like U.S.A with economies worth trillions of dollars. Just now I'm seeing this on Bloomberg:

"Ex-Credit Suisse Banker Says He Hid $45 Million Worth of Bribes. Pearse tells Brooklyn jury other bankers also accepted bribes".

Also, I come from Québec where there was a huge corruption scandal over many years, with mayors and some Prime Ministers having accepted huge bribes from construction mafias. Add the SNC-Lavalin corruption debacle to the list (and Trudeau's attempted interference against the Justice System).

I'm not really trying to compare Vietnamese corruption versus corruption in the West, but I just think that "corruption index" is way to biased and subjective to be a true reference. Yes, it happens everywhere in Vietnam but 80% of it is "petty corruption" although for the poor Vietnamese this is a huge burden on their heads.