World Happniess Report 2019

Hungary ranks 62... Not so great.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countr … y-country/

Very similar to Russia.

I drove through Felcsut today and saw OV's childhood home and the Puskas Academia Stadium.  Presumably there's an island of happiness there.

But doesn't surprise me that Scandinavian countries ranked highly.

Japan is ranked 58, not so great either.
US number 19,well I am sure it used to be in the top 10.

Anyone with money and time to spare could attend the following OECD conference:

Putting Well-being Metrics into Policy Action, 3-4 October 2019

Need to get one's skates on as it starts tomorrow in Paris!

UK > 15th that's quite surprising

Nice to see Austria in at 10th

NZ is at 8 and it's just published a Well Being Budget

Presumably Well Being begets Happiness.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Nah, I think it's more of an expectations vs (perceived) reality thing. When I look at the scores of Argentina, Brazil, Romania and Hungary, I'm even more convinced.

But if I look at the descripbion above the map: " In the report, income, trust, life expectancy, social support, freedom, and generosity are considered to determine which states have the best overall well-being and, in turn, are the happiest in the world." - So they made the same assumption, like you?

atomheart wrote:

But if I look at the descripbion above the map: " In the report, income, trust, life expectancy, social support, freedom, and generosity are considered to determine which states have the best overall well-being and, in turn, are the happiest in the world."

I was wondering who would first consider the metric. :)

Of course, above that, it is also stated that no happiness metric is accurate or universally agreed upon.

To that, I found the issue, for example, of "social support" as a requirement of happiness as.... interesting.... (so not surprising that heavily social security countries came out on the top of the list).

What exactly does that mean? Family social support? Local community social support? National government social support? And does that mean one is happier only when "others" are there to take care of him or her? Quite frankly, and as an example, I am happiest when "others" don't block me unnecessarily* with their stupidity. But that is just me.  :D

*I am however fully in support of proper and appropriate social, environmental and economic regulations.  ;)

atomheart wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Nah, I think it's more of an expectations vs (perceived) reality thing. When I look at the scores of Argentina, Brazil, Romania and Hungary, I'm even more convinced.

But if I look at the description above the map: " In the report, income, trust, life expectancy, social support, freedom, and generosity are considered to determine which states have the best overall well-being and, in turn, are the happiest in the world." - So they made the same assumption, like you?

I wasn't really assuming anything. Like you, I was vaguely more interested in what the drivers were - mainly in what the NZ budget said actually.   But your comment made me think how very subjective it is.   

If you take perhaps a Western epitome of perhaps a "perfect" state - high income, low crime* and health security, then Norway (3) clearly would look very "happy" but is actually more like support for "well being".   

Surprises me countries like Saudi Arabia (28) or UAE (21) are so far up the list.  The UAE has a MInister for Happiness so maybe on self-scoring, yes, they'd big themselves up.  I don't think I'd be really happy in Saudi or UAE (which I've been to many times). 

Maybe it's just restating Maslow/Hofstede's self-actualisation in Western individualism in Norway which doesn't really compare in Saudi etc where - I suppose - community and religious cohesion is more important.

* Not counting blips like Brevik.