Bringing multiple laptops for donation

Chao all, I'm wanting to bring 7 used laptops to Vietnam to donate to an English school which is just starting up. Has anyone had experience in doing this? I've done some searches on the net but most is old decrees 2018 and earlier. Thanks in advance for any help, Mark.

I've been considering doing something similar with my laptop.

Posting here to follow the topic.

MarkinNam wrote:

Chao all, I'm wanting to bring 7 used laptops to Vietnam to donate to an English school which is just starting up. Has anyone had experience in doing this? I've done some searches on the net but most is old decrees 2018 and earlier. Thanks in advance for any help, Mark.

One question for clarification:  Is the English school a for-profit company?  If so that could make things more difficult.  If you were giving 7 used laptops to an orphanage and had a thank you letter written in Vietnamese to show customs, that might be enough to get you through. 

There seem to be some unwritten rules on how many of certain items one can bring in as gifts but I am fairly certain that they are not published at all.  I know that my wife recently brought a refurbished iPhone in for a brother with no problems but if she had brought 6 more she might have been seen as a reseller.  Viet Kieu are probably the ones who can tell you what these unofficial limits are as many of them bring electronic items with every visit.

One minor site based suggestion;  As your query is general in nature, if you posted directly at the Vietnam level of the forum rather than at the Hoi An level the post would hit a lot more eyes.

Thanks for the info Thigv, The school is non profit. being run as an outreach program through a Church so I'll ask the man in charge for a letter

THIGV wrote:
MarkinNam wrote:

One question for clarification:  Is the English school a for-profit company?  If so that could make things more difficult.  If you were giving 7 used laptops to an orphanage and had a thank you letter written in Vietnamese to show customs, that might be enough to get you through. 

There seem to be some unwritten rules on how many of certain items one can bring in as gifts but I am fairly certain that they are not published at all.  I know that my wife recently brought a refurbished iPhone in for a brother with no problems but if she had brought 6 more she might have been seen as a reseller.  Viet Kieu are probably the ones who can tell you what these unofficial limits are as many of them bring electronic items with every visit.

One minor site based suggestion;  As your query is general in nature, if you posted directly at the Vietnam level of the forum rather than at the Hoi An level the post would hit a lot more eyes.

I inquired with Australia post online which was more informative on types and number which can be bought in. I finally got a letter of donation from the pastor/ teacher which may as well have been toilet paper at the airport. I proceeded through the "to declare" exit where they Xrayed my baggage, the guy made comment about the laptops so I presented the letter, he asked for $200 US D, I phoned the pastor and let the 2 of them chat, a few moments later I was talking with the pastor who asked " how much can you afford ? 1 million VND, stuff, but considering the potential loss of the laptops I coughed up toward his retirement fund. When I went to give him the money Khong, no and he indicated the gratuities box on his bench,,, Sua nam I mentioned and he smiled Man, they screw themselves stupid