Maintaining a long distance relationship as an expat in Singapore

Hello everyone,

Moving to Singapore without your significant other can be quite difficult, especially since your partner is an undeniable source of support. This kind of move may require some adjustments from both parties in order to make it a successful one.

What is challenging about being in a long distance relationship in Singapore?

How to maintain an adequate level of communication considering differing schedules and time zones?

How often would you travel to each other's location to meet?

How do you manage to still have a social life in Singapore?

What hurdles need to be considered if you have left behind children who are under the sole care of your partner?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Bhavna

Yes, this is the main challenges for most of foreign. For Indonesian, the alternative is to stay in batam and you can meet each other every day. Much easier for Malaysian where you can live in JB. To me, if you are far away from your family, you could plan to move him/her in Singapore. This is one of the option.

When I was an expat in Singapore I was only 21 years old having just graduated from university in London and had already decided that my girlfriend at university was not someone who I planned to continue seeing, so Singapore was a fresh start with a great relocation and package. As I have done pretty much throughout my life, I dated many girls wherever I lived, and Singapore was no different. So the social life was very good and exciting. When I eventually was transferred away from Singapore I did keep in touch with one or two of them, but since I never felt the urge to get married I never really thought too much about it.

So no regrets, nobody that i missed that I left behind, and no long term relationship. And, to be frank, if I did really miss someone and thought that I could eventually marry them then I would have changed my whole plans to ensure that we were together either in Singapore or elsewhere. I suppose at such an early age I was not yet mature.