Renewing documents without an appointment at the Sao Paulo PF?

Hey Everyone,
My RNE ( CRNM) expires in December and I am currently living outside of Brasil.I have been trying to get an appointment at the Policia Federal in Lapa for the specific dates I will be back in Sao Paulo. As I assumed would happen, I am not able to get an appointment for any of the specific dates I will be in country.  In the past, I have renewed documents without an appointment by showing up first thing in the morning.

My question is, Have any of you recently tried to renewed documents without the correct appointment?  How did it go?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

That is a big and current problem with PF for almost 3 years now. When they first initiated the electronic only application, they always were behind and overloaded because of lack of equipments/machines to tackle the daily workload. At the time approximately 350 people showed up in Lapa everyday at the PF building. They were only releasing 90 units everyday for appt dates!

The PF will not fine you though as they guaranteed because of the difficulties.

I don´t know what to tell you as the PF only attend appointments. A lot of people try to schedule appts at different times during the day to no avail!

If there´s no available appointment date, can you save the work that you did?

I renewed my RNE 7 years ago. All I had to do was show up early also at the PF´s office...

PF are very strict on appointments. Mine was not for permanent but visa registration.

I was sick with the flu and missed my original Appt. Tried to reserve a date online and all was booked for 1.5 to 2 months in advance for Rio. I went to SDU and requested a walk in and they refused. Only appointments.

I got lucky to get a reservation 1 month after my deadline as i checked around 3am in the morning. When i got to my appointment with PF,  i explained that their system did not have any available space before my deadline. They just looked at me and gave me a nice R$100 multa document to pay before they continue my process.

Thanks for the replies. I am talking to a dispachante who says they can monitor the PF dates differently, somehow, and that they can get me the date I need.  They will charge me R$ 800,00 plus "additional expenses".  Anyone here have any thoughts on the advantages (if there are any)  or disadvantages (besides the crazy price) of going this route?

In your position, I would certainly not contract with a despachante from abroad.  Despachantes used to be helpful in almost any interaction with any level of government, but their range has been significantly (and appropriately) limited in recent years.
I would go through with your plans to come to Brazil with all the proper documentation, go to the PF office early in the morning, and ask for an appointment.  Every place is different, but the computerized scheduling system doesn't seem to be working well anywhere.  Here in Manaus, if you're at the front of the line when they open, you get a little ticket for an appointment, often the next day.
You might also want to start a thread, asking for recommendations from any expat who has used a despachante with the PF in São Paulo, but don't send anyone any money, at least until you've met with them, and feel them out on what they've accomplished for others, and how trustworthy they seem.
If the PF won't give you an appointment, then you may have no alternative.  A quick Google search that I just did on "Despachante pode ajudar com Polícia Federal em São Paulo?" brought up one operation that claims that they can get you an appointment in 15 working days for R$450, and seven working days for R$550.  I have no way of knowing whether they're on the level, but that suggests that "R$800 plus expenses" could be a scam, as you've already figured out.
Good luck!

Despachante? They always overcharge. Unless they know someone at a PF´s office, your work is as good as theirs. You also should try to wake up at different times at dawn to try to set up an appointment.

Small offices of PF (at shopping centers) seems to be more open for walk-ins. The one at a shopping center in Itajai, SC was always welcoming. You can always explain your situation where you can´t get an appt date despite trying for a month or so and that you are here only for a limited time. But you have to have a comprovante de endereço like a utility bill and photo to effect the transition to a new ID.

Thanks for all the responses.

I ended up not using a despachante and just showed up at the Policia Federal in SP last Monday without an appointment. They now have a separate line for those without appointments (once you are on the third floor). I had no problems getting through and no problems renewing my CRNM (RNE). The entire process did take 7 HOURS though. If anyone else is in the same boat as I was, Plan to arrive early.  I got there at 7:30 am and the line was already halfway up the street.  Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

TAnderson4 wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.

I ended up not using a despachante and just showed up at the Policia Federal in SP last Monday without an appointment. They now have a separate line for those without appointments (once you are on the third floor). I had no problems getting through and no problems renewing my CRNM (RNE). The entire process did take 7 HOURS though. If anyone else is in the same boat as I was, Plan to arrive early.  I got there at 7:30 am and the line was already halfway up the street.  Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

My congratulations!

TAnderson4

Glad it worked out for you!

One word of warning about the Federal Police in Lapa, while TAnderson4 didn't have a problem going there without an appointment, I did today.  I got there at 6:30 am and there were already thirty people in front of me.  I got to the third floor and waited in line but when I got to the front of the line, an attendant asked to see my RNE card and then refused to let me pass because I didn't have an appointment.  I speak Portuguese so I explained that my card would expire in 90 days and I also explained that the system to make the appointments had not been working for the last few days.  All she said was that you need an appointment and that if I had a complaint to go to the first floor and register my complaint, which I did but of course it was just a waste of time.  I tried the website again to make an appointment  and now it's working but the earliest date available is February 3rd 2020.  My RNE card expires on February 22nd 2020 so it will be impossible to get it done before 90 days. By the way, I have been living in Sao Paulo for 9 years and I have been to the Federal Police in Lapa a bunch of times and it is almost always a horrible experience. You can try your luck but without an appointment there are no guarantees.

Sorry that it didn't work out for you.  It seems to depend a lot on who's on duty, and as you say, there are no guarantees. 
Best of luck in getting your renewal going.

foley333 wrote:

One word of warning about the Federal Police in Lapa, while TAnderson4 didn't have a problem going there without an appointment, I did today.  I got there at 6:30 am and there were already thirty people in front of me.  I got to the third floor and waited in line but when I got to the front of the line, an attendant asked to see my RNE card and then refused to let me pass because I didn't have an appointment.  I speak Portuguese so I explained that my card would expire in 90 days and I also explained that the system to make the appointments had not been working for the last few days.  All she said was that you need an appointment and that if I had a complaint to go to the first floor and register my complaint, which I did but of course it was just a waste of time.  I tried the website again to make an appointment  and now it's working but the earliest date available is February 3rd 2020.  My RNE card expires on February 22nd 2020 so it will be impossible to get it done before 90 days. By the way, I have been living in Sao Paulo for 9 years and I have been to the Federal Police in Lapa a bunch of times and it is almost always a horrible experience. You can try your luck but without an appointment there are no guarantees.

A little delay but they´ll issue a temporary (protocolo) which will serve as your ID while waiting for the card.