Work and visas for Occupational Therapists

I'm moving to São Paulo in a few weeks and I'd like to bring my Chilean girlfriend with me.

For the first couple of months she will study Portuguese, but after that she wants to work.

She's just graduated as an Occupational Therapist in Chile (little experience). What are her chances of finding a workplace willing to get her a working visa? In New Zealand there are priority visas for this kind of work, also working holiday visas available, anything similar for Chileans in Brasil?

I'll be employed by the Orquestra Sinfonica Municipal which should give me enough money to support us both for quite a while. So salary isn't really a problem.

Hello Cellomaestro,

The problem won't be so much finding work as a graduated Occupational Therapist as it will be for getting the foreign degree recognized in Brazil. This is a process known as "Revalidação" and basically what is necessary is finding a Brazilian universtity that offers the same or similar course and submitting one's diploma and other necessary documents, paying a fee and waiting for the process to take place. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that this process IS NOT ONGOING, but rather takes place once a year. You'd need to check with the individual university to make certain of that point.

For more information regarding the process see my postings on REVALIDATION OF (FOREIGN) DIPLOMAS IN BRAZIL and Recognition of Diplomas granted by foreign universities.

In the meantime your girlfriend would only be entitled to remain in Brazil for a maximum of 180 days per year as a tourist, or would require a VITEM-IV Student Visa to stay longer for study purposes or a VITEM-V Work Visa to stay longer to work. This would require a work contract with a Brazilian company, confirmed in writing by the employer.

Hope this information helps you.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

That's just the kind of information I was looking for! Thankyou very much.
We will contract her university here first as I know they have links with Brasil (lots of student exchanges), hopefully they'll be able to make the process a little smoother.

Many Thanks!