I rely on 2 "controlled" meds prescribed in the U.S. Please help.

Hi,

I am just about out of my 2 controlled meds that I've been on for years in the U.S.  I have all of my paperwork, U.S. doctor contact information, original bottles, etc.  Nothing even .00001% shady or dangerous - I rely on these.   However, my Dr.'s in the U.S. only gave me a 90 day supply.  I am on day 84 and have decided to extend my stay in Vietnam.

I am in District 1 in HCMC.  Can you please suggest some reputable, reliable and cost-effective Dr.'s and Psychiatrists around here?   If they can make "home" visits, even better!   If you have any recent estimated costs, even better!

Thanks so much and I'm so appreciative of this forum!

So, you have not been able to get these at a pharmacy?

You might try Pharmacity.

"Pharmacity is Vietnam's largest pharmacy retail chain, with more than 210 locations in Ho Chi Minh City, Can Tho, Binh Duong, Vung Tau and Hanoi.

Unlike many independently owned pharmacies in Vietnam who buy their products from traders in the “wholesale market”, Pharmacity sources its products only from authorized distributors or directly from reputable manufacturers, and has advanced systems for tracking and storing its pharmaceutical products. This gives customers the confidence that the products are authentic, properly maintained and not expired.

Pharmacity is known for its excellent customer service and well-trained staff. They recently surpassed the milestone of having 1 million customers in their loyalty program."
(Source: https://www.mekongcapital.com/en/invest … pharmacity)

Unfortunately, their website seems to have no English language option, but this webpage shows all of their locations:

https://www.pharmacity.vn/he-thong-cua-hang/

Here are their locations in District 1:
77 Nguyễn Hữu Cầu
Quận 1, Thành Phố Hồ Chí Minh

102 Phạm Hồng Thái

136 Hai Bà Trưng

173 Phạm Ngũ Lão

19 Hải Triều

Thank you immensely for your reply!  Now that I am convinced of using this pharmacy, won't I need to see a Vietnamese doctor?  I haven't asked, but I'm unsure if its legal for my US prescriptions to be filled in another country.

You have not disclosed what the medications are.  Of course that is your right.

There are only a few medications that require a doctors prescription in Vietnam and some that are just plain not available.  If you go to the pharmacy they will tell you if you need to see a doctor first.

As John suggested, Pharmacity is also my pharmacy of first choice.

I use the location behind the HCMC Opera House.

Yesterday I went in at about 6 PM and asked the person I've dealt with previously to special order me the Naproxen I use for arthritis.

This morning I received a Zalo message that my order is ready for pickup in the store.

But they aren't perfect.

For some reason they can't order insulin glargine (Lantus) even though I had an independent pharmacist in Vũng Tàu who was always able to find it for me.

Micro

name the drugs and your prescription and I can check the locals for you!!

I take 4 drugs and have found all of them here !! in Binh Duong

Let me know

Pharma City is very costly , but they give free pillows and stuff for membership ??
but have found cheaper drugs at local pharmacys

Thanks
Tom

johnross23 wrote:

"...Pharmacity is Vietnam's largest pharmacy retail chain, with more than 210 locations in Ho Chi Minh City, Can Tho, Binh Duong, Vung Tau and Hanoi.

Unlike many independently owned pharmacies in Vietnam who buy their products from traders in the “wholesale market”, Pharmacity sources its products only from authorized distributors or directly from reputable manufacturers, and has advanced systems for tracking and storing its pharmaceutical products. This gives customers the confidence that the products are authentic, properly maintained and not expired.

Pharmacity is known for its excellent customer service and well-trained staff. They recently surpassed the milestone of having 1 million customers in their loyalty program."
(Source: mekongcapital. com/en/investments/retail/pharmacity

findvietnam wrote:

Pharma City is very costly , but they give free pillows and stuff for membership ??
but have found cheaper drugs at local pharmacys

As John pointed out, there are good reasons that Pharmacity has slightly higher prices on some (not all) products.

Also, your statement is incorrect.

Pharmacity has a loyalty card that will keep track of all your purchases, giving you credit in "points" that spend just like VNĐ.

I've been shopping there for about two years and I've already gotten the equivalent of about ₫1,000,000 VNĐ back in the form of free purchases by redeeming points.

Also as I pointed out already above, they are really great at being able to special-order items that are not in the store.

I'm thinking that if the OP or a casual reader has the option of having you fulfill special orders or having Pharmacity fulfill special orders, it's almost certainly safer overall to choose Pharmacity.

I tried Pharmacity but  it seems to be a franchised system as the prices vary from shop to shop. Some shop were charging 20% more. With their buying power they should be cheaper.

I now use Long Chau as their shops are well stocked and good prices.

colinoscapee wrote:

I now use Long Chau as their shops are well stocked and good prices.

Ditto on Long Chau. 

They're also a national chain but with much fewer locations than Pharmacity (Long Chau: 202; Pharmacity: 515) and their patients' record is centralised thus customers can buy the same med from any location for the same price, and can even have refills without remembering the name of the meds.  Their prices are much lower than all the doctor/hospital-associated pharmacies I know.

Their ratio of pharmacists to pharmaceutical reps and pharmacy students is high at all the locations I've been to (Saigon, Dong Nai, Vung Tau, and Hanoi).  In VT, the pharmacists are very confident in their knowledge of ingredients, substitution, side affects, and interaction.