Reading habits in Sweden

Hello everyone,

Books can be your greatest companions whether you have already settled in Sweden or are now planning your move. Are you an avid or occasional reader? We would like to know more about your reading habits.

What type of reading do you enjoy? Do you read novels, comics, magazines, newspapers, etc.?

Where do you purchase or borrow books in Sweden (bookstores, online, library subscription, etc.)? Do you prefer digital reading?

Do you have an average budget devoted to reading in Sweden? Do you buy books or pay a library membership fee?  Do you spend more or less than in your country of origin?

In what languages can you find the books that you usually read?

What books or magazines would generally be found on your bedside table?

Thanks for participating,

Bhavna

I started to read already when I was 7-8 years old, I read everything that I could find, I actually read even adult novels already back then and one of them became a film later and it was classed as an adults only film.

By the time when I was 11-12 I started to read Russian translations since some communist party in Sri Lanka had been started to translate Russian literature together with heavy communist books written by founders of the communism. That all was a kind of propaganda financed by the former USSR but on behalf of that I got the chance to read the greatest Russian authors, old time classic authors who wrote before, during and after the Russian revolution.

That all pulled the trigger to my reading enthusiasm and by the time when I was 18-19 I had read almost every world literature which had been translated to Sinhalese and also almost all Sri Lankan classic authors. So I was an avid reader and still I am but now I only read one book: it calls Tanach.

When it comes to reading facilities in Sweden I have to give them 5 out of 5. Government spend lot of money to provide everything for readers for instance my mother usually order Sinhalese books from the local Swedish library and they often within few weeks manage to get the book for her from Sri Lanka, can it be any better? And I have a Swedish friend who is blind so he listen to digital books and when he asks for any special book in CD if they already don't have it in CD, they order it in CD for him and provide him with it.