HBO vs WO

Hi! I am a future student and I consider continuing my studies in The Netherlands.
As I found out, there are 2 types of universities: HBO (applied sciences) and WO (research)
My 2 questions are:
1. What is your "title" as you finish each type of university?
2. Is any of the 2 diplomas (HBO/WO) more widely recognised, appreciated, advantageous etc. when it comes to getting a job? (in The Netherlands or in other countries)
Thank you!

HBO (Hoge School) isn't universety, WO is and  earns you a title. Both can give excellent job opportunities, but as an foreigner it depends what kind of studies you do.
If we need someone in your field of expertise and you can speak Dutch there is a change you will find a job.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The Titles awarded are normally after a Masters programme and would normally be MA, or MS at the end of your name.  My degree was weird and I ended up with Chartered Status.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ramses K. wrote:

HBO (Hoge School) isn't universety, WO is and  earns you a title. Both can give excellent job opportunities, but as an foreigner it depends what kind of studies you do.
If we need someone in your field of expertise and you can speak Dutch there is a change you will find a job.

I mean, after completing a HBO in Computing Science, will I be able to get a good job? I know the question may not be possible to be answered to. But what do you think?

I really don't know if there will be a job for you. You should ask the schoolboard in question if there are job opportunities for the field of studies you want to do.

Hi again,

Things to consider:

I know people with law degrees who have never found work in that profession, so a degree is not a guarantee of finding work in a specific field.  If you want a guarantee of finding work with good money, then you are in the wrong field, you should consider Medicine or Engineering.

My advice is to look at what the world needs for the future, not what it needs now; I can almost guarantee that Environmental Sciences will become very desirable in the not too far distant future; so maybe a joint degree would be a good thing to consider.

If your Uni course is churning out a lot of well-qualified expats with the same qualifications, then you will all be competing for the same work.

The laws of supply and demand always apply, if there are plenty of people all applying for the same work, then the wages will not be high - because they don't need to be.

If your intention is to go outside of Holland to work, then University rankings will also play a part; Google will help you find the ranking of the University's worldwide.  This link will take you to a website with a lot of information about Dutch university's.

Last but not least, learn to speak and write Dutch, your course may be in English, but life around you will all be in Dutch and it will definitely help you if you are looking for work in the Netherlands.

If you have any further specific questions, then please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Hi again,

Things to consider:

I know people with law degrees who have never found work in that profession, so a degree is not a guarantee of finding work in a specific field.  If you want a guarantee of finding work with good money, then you are in the wrong field, you should consider Medicine or Engineering.

My advice is to look at what the world needs for the future, not what it needs now; I can almost guarantee that Environmental Sciences will become very desirable in the not too far distant future; so maybe a joint degree would be a good thing to consider.

If your Uni course is churning out a lot of well-qualified expats with the same qualifications, then you will all be competing for the same work.

The laws of supply and demand always apply, if there are plenty of people all applying for the same work, then the wages will not be high - because they don't need to be.

If your intention is to go outside of Holland to work, then University rankings will also play a part; Google will help you find the ranking of the University's worldwide.  This link will take you to a website with a lot of information about Dutch university's.

Last but not least, learn to speak and write Dutch, your course may be in English, but life around you will all be in Dutch and it will definitely help you if you are looking for work in the Netherlands.

If you have any further specific questions, then please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you very much for your answer.