Divorcing in Spain

Hello everyone,

Reaching the decision to seek divorce can be hard. Filing the papers as an expat in Spain can be as taxing since a good grasp of legislations is needed and the process can prove to be tedious.

Where and how do you apply for a divorce in Spain? How long does it take for the process to be completed?

If the couple has children, which measures can be taken in order to protect their interests?

Which procedures should be completed so that the divorce is legally recognized in the country of origin?

How is divorce viewed in Spain?

Being away from one's home country and loved ones, what advice do have for staying strong emotionally and mentally in this situation?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Diksha

This is info from the internet which may be helpful

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/inter … may-think/

Maybe you got married in the UK, in Gibraltar, elsewhere in Europe, or even in another country and you think that you need to get divorced in the country where you got married. Well, this is not the case. You can get your divorce in Spain and it will be recognised in the rest of Europe without much else to do. How is that so? EU Regulation 2201/2003, commonly known as Regulation Brussels II bis, governs international divorce cases. This Regulation sets out the jurisdictional criteria to determine the competent jurisdiction, as well as the obligation by EU Member States to recognise divorces obtained in other EU jurisdictions.

The first question that needs to be addressed is the issue of jurisdiction. Do Spanish Courts have jurisdiction to hear my divorce case? Well, the answer to this depends on Regulation 2201 /2003, which offers to the petitioner seven factors of international jurisdiction. The most obvious is the fact that both spouses are resident in Spain at the time of starting the legal proceedings in Spain, but even if one of the spouses is no longer here there is jurisdiction if the last common habitual residence of the spouses was here. Even if your spouse has never resided in Spain, jurisdiction applies if the party seeking divorce had been in Spain for a year. When applying all these rules, no consideration will be given to the nationality of the parties, which for the EU Regulation is almost never a decisive factor.

Where jurisdictional issues get a little bit more difficult is in matters of custody and visitation rights (parental responsibility). In these matters, jurisdiction is based only on the place of residence of the child. Although, of course, Spanish courts can deal with the custody over a non-resident child as long as both spouses agree so because they want to realise their divorce in Spain.

Access to Spanish jurisdiction can be simple and not only in Spanish courts. In Spain Notaries can also decide your divorce, provided you and your spouse are assisted by a lawyer, with only two conditions: the divorce must have been agreed by both spouses and there must not be any minor or dependent child. It is also worth mentioning that the length of the process for cases of divorce is short and that Spanish lawyers do not charge the high legal fees associated with the practice of the legal profession in the UK, therefore you can expect to engage a lawyer at a fraction of the cost in the UK.

Once you get your Spanish judicial decision of divorce (or even the one decided by a Notary) you are free to take this document to wherever you need to register it provided that you ask the Spanish authority for a certified copy of Annex I to EU Regulation 2201/2003. This annex serves as the European passport to your Spanish divorce, and you can have it registered in the EU country where you got married or in the EU country of your nationality.

Recognition of your Spanish divorce becomes more complex if you were married outside the EU or you are a national of a non EU Member State. In this case, access to Spanish Courts is as simple as described in the preceding paragraphs, but recognition of the Spanish decision will have to be done following the legal procedure for recognition of foreign judicial decisions applicable in your country.

Of course, there may be other reasons why you consider best not to seek a divorce in Spain, for example, when you are seeking a division of matrimonial property and most of the assets are located outside Spain.

Take note, if the most important assets are located in Spain you can get your division of matrimonial property here. You can also resolve maintenance obligations for both you and your children. This could include the right to use the common habitual residence in Spain regardless of who is the legal owner of the property. Custody and visitation rights are decided by common European standards. When divorcing in Spain, there is no need to specify the reason as to what caused the breakdown of the marriage (no unreasonable behaviour needs to be mentioned). In Spain we follow a no-fault system of divorce, meaning that the will of one of the spouses is enough reason to grant the divorce. This and other advantages of the Spanish divorce is why divorce in Spain is not only characterised in comparative law perspective as a no-fault divorce country, but also as a “fast-track” or “express” divorce country, something that in the case of Spain is accompanied by legal certainty as to the recognition of the divorce in your country of origin.

PS. Even Filipinos can obtain a divorce in spain despite that divorce is not permitted in the Philippines.   The person who has been so divorced can get that recognised in philippines but the party bringing the action cannot.   Of course anywhere else in the world both parties will be considered free to marry again

Spain woudl be teh last place I woudl conounsel anyone to have a divorce unles smarried in Spain to a Spanish citizen.
Too much cost and work.
I was living in Spain and was able to remotely divorce in teh Netherlands from my US spouse after we had married in the Netherlands.  It cost about $600 plus courier fees and minor fees for copies of certificates.  Of course things could become difficult if it is not a jointly duirected divorce but a major dispute. If children are involved it is much more complicated. Make sure to agree on the pensions.
Courts are still issuing the final decree but for example in the Netherlands they are preparing a law for purely administrative divorces through the town halls. Far cheaper and faster.

Well we all have our own experience and our own depth of knowledge.

In spain,  as shown in my attachment, if straightforward,  one can use a notary, it takes a few weeks and costs are consequently very low.

A couple I know, a Brit and his Filipino wife, did it through the court.   It was simple, quick and cheap.

Johncar, do you know what the requirements are for Spanish divorce?  Our situation is actually, we DON'T want to get divorced.  However, due to political problems, we cannot at this time obtain a legalized/attested version of our marriage certificate from the country in which we were married.  After 2 years of trying to resolve this, it looks like the only way forward is to a) get divorced, b) get remarried in a country where we won't have this problem.
I posed this issue to a lawyer, and they said that one of the requirements for a divorce is an attested marriage certificate.  We have one from 2014; but not a current one.  So, that becomes a sort of catch 22 type thing/
Any thoughts?

Hello Diksha and everyone.
I am italian and in Italy it is hard to get divorced. But in Spain is very easy.
My partner get divorced in six months.
He filled in some forms and handed in it to a lawyer. I don't know the details because I don't get involved.
Obviously, it is hard to split up. The feelings are strong and people feel hurt.
Fortunately, my partner has found a woman that makes him happy, but before he felt sad and depressed.
I have never got married, so I can't tell you my experience.
See you soon.
Federica

Blue moon.  I do not know but relying on my criminal law background, I would have said exactly what your lawyer has told you

You do not say why you need to prove your marriage.  Maybe that ‘problem' has an answer which does not rely on you proving your martial status.

Marriage proof is a convoluted requirement.  Due to an administrative error, my wife's birth certificate was registered twice; with different birth dates and birth locations!.  She only knew about one, call it "x".  She has always used certificate "x" for other documents, such as passport and visado.
During a digitization of documents process, birth certificate registration "y" was found.  A petition of the court to cancel/expunge "y", and accept "x" as the correct one, was made.  The outcome was that the court declared "y" correct, and "x" invalid.  So now she has a birth certificate, "y", with a birth date and location different from what appears in her passport, visado, etc.
To get her passport corrected, Philippines government requires a CORRECTED marriage certificate, as a "chain of evidence" regarding her name, which she changed to my name. 
We have consulted with lawyer on this, and she indicated that there would be no problem revising current visado to reflect birthdate, as long as we complete the required Philippines actions.

So, convoluted
Thanks for your input and regards