Moving to KL

Hi, This is Nehar from Bangalore, India moving to KL next month and looking for some help tips in KL. How is the expenditure in KL as i will be earning 2k ringget and how do i go about my expenses i would be living in a shared flat and other general expenses. Is it sufficient ? How is the lifestyle in KL ?

Hi and welcome to the forum nehar :)

I moved your message to the Kuala Lumpur forum for better visibility ;) I would suggest you to browse it for any infos on lifestyle, cost of living and even expat meet-ups ;)

Regards
Armand

Hey Nehar, 2000 MR can be okay for you if you use it wisely. There are people here who don't earn as much, yet they are very comfortably okay. Relatively speaking, the cost of goods and services here in KL is not what you can't afford given your salary scale. You are at liberty here to live your life as you want it without any imposition of any kind from the Government. KL is a city you would not want to leave. Welcome to expatriate forum where we try as much as we can to lend our help where necessary without any conditionality.

Thanks Armand and Okwudili

My pleasure Nehar

Hi Nehar,

I am actually a bit surprised as usually salary are relatively higher for expats, except in few domains (maids, construction, security, restaurants, bars,...) but i dont know about your job...

As Okwudili said, it is a common salary for malaysians, and some earn less than that (starting around 1000 RM, less for the foreigner jobs i mentioned earlier), but they are malaysians and can live a "malaysian" lifestyle here...you can live here with this salary, but KL is quite expensive compared to the rest of Malaysia and I'm not sure you will be able to enjoy that much (going out, having nice restaurant, travelling,...)nor sparing money, and for sure you will have to share a flat with housemates. (simple room is between 300RM-1000RM, simple food 20-25 RM/day if u eat in street restaurant, transport around 3-5 RM a day, taxi around 5-10 RM per trip). I dont want to discourage u, but just to make sure u know what to expect here...

apart that, lifestyle in KL is very nice, for malaysians, expats and especially indians as there is an important community, culture, food,...the city is lively, mixed, young and quite happening...

Cheers,

Nassim

Dear Nassim,

Appreciate your concern and information. I do understand the basic salary is not sufficient to have just more than a normal life however, my company offers a very basic salary and high commissions. But i did not keep the commissions as an option for my basic necessity. And surely will be able to do much more with the commissions i would be making in the company.

ok i feel relieved for u then...your basic will be more than enough to have somewhere to sleep and not being hungry, and the commissions will be bonus for u...:)

i m sure u ll love this country...

wise spending is all you need to imbibe, Nehar. There are still many who earn much more than you will earn, yet they go borrowing before the month goes halfway. Why? It is because they are extravagant. Sharing a room, ok! Cooking your food, ok! Occasionally going out for a drink, ok! A trip by bus is usually 2 MR. Eating in a local restaurant is about 6 MR per meal. I am confident, you will find your stay in KL a haven

I Visited Kl some 8 yrs ago, and I know the place is a LOVE, For other things like cost of Living, Even I am risking my trip on the salary you're getting :D
coming to KL 10th June, Will keep you updated, when i slept hungry :D or when did i slept on the street :D:D

hi Nehar,

Welcome! 2K is OK provided how you want to take your life style here. Lot of people live here within 2K. I would suggest you to find a apt. to share with some one or a flat sharing with some one. In general it is cheap but not as in India. There are corners you can rent cheap, but will suggest you to find your place near to public transport to save your bills.

Good luck.
Raz

@Raz-rian, well spoken. Thats a wonderful piece of advice.

Hi All,

Appreciate all your help and updates for my post.

I have a good news i negotiated with my company and had my salary increased by ringget 1000.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Nehar