PhD student at University of St. Andrews

Hi there,

I am moving to Scotland next year as I am starting my PhD position at St. Andrews University. Although,  I would like to share a flat with a friend who got a job at Edinburgh. What city would you reccommend us to live in? Somewhere in between. We enjoy going to bars, to the movies theatre and culture, so we'd like to live in a city that could offer a little bit of that.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

St Andrews is about 1.5 hours from Edinburgh; for all the things you say you want, then Edinburgh is definitely the place, but that's a long commute every day, so perhaps check out Glenrothes or Kirkaldy - they will put you in the middle.  Neither places are cities, but they will have some local life, shops etc around you.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello there,

Thank you for your feedback. Do you know how much would it cost me to commute from Edinburgh to St. Andrews? I am unable to find information about a monthly pass.

Kind regards

The direct bus is the Route X59 operated by Stagecoach; the journey is 2 hours; the weekly ticket for St Andrews students is called "Unirider" and the costs vary depending on the duration of the ticket; this link will take you to their website.  You will need a Student ID card and also download their app to your mobile phone to use the service.

I got all this information from Google in about 2 minutes; I sincerely hope you're better at your PhD studies than you are in using the internet. :)