Moving to Sweden

Hi,

I have been offered a salary of 42000 sek per month before taxes in Stockholm. I am a software Engineer, not married as of yet. Could someone please specify if this would be sufficient. Also how much would I be able to save from it.

Thanks!

Sufficient yes. You will get around 32000 after taxes. If you end up renting an apartment in Stockholm city, half of that (or more) could end up going to your rent. If you live a bit more in the suburbs, rent would be a bit cheaper. Personally, if you plan on staying a bit longer, I reccomend just buying an apartment in a good area on the outskirts (such as in Mariehäll  or even Kungsängen.. As long as it is on the train lines, it doesn't really matter but the farther you get from Stockholm, the entertainment factor decreases unless you prefer things such as boating/fishing/hiking) . Much easier and not hard to sell here (at least not for me. Took me a week to sell mine). In terms of savings, as long as you don't blow it by going out a lot, usepublic transport, and cook your own meals, you can save, just like in most major cities.

It is good enough as long as you know where you are spending. Its upto oneself to decide their own spending patterns and priorities. But this is good enough to live by yourself. You dont have to live in Kungsängen which is a bit off the main city life, you can live near to city as well. Living alone will not make you feel good if you live too far off (unless you prefer solitary life). Check where your workplace is and see which commuting make your reach easier. There are trams, commuter trains, metro rail and buses.

Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it!

Hi I'm Lyndi,
I can't take Trump's US much longer.  My ancestry is Scandanavian.  I would like to buy a cheap house near a little town...and die there.

I'm going to be retired, so I'm worried about money.  How much is a family health care plan? Or, if I pay Swedish taxes, do I just get Swedish health care?
Thanks,
Lyndi

Hello Lyndi,

Yes if you pay Swedish taxes you are entitled to get all the benefits of Swedish health care since the Swedish health care is financed by all the tax payers of the country.

On the other hand if you decided to move to Sweden you are obligated to pay taxes for every penny you earn or receive that means you can't choose whether you pay or not.

That makes your situation little bit complicated since USA has kind of strict tax system for their citizens when it comes to pension and benefits, no matter you live in the country or not.

And also depends on several other facts which are connected to your particular situation e.g private pension, Defined contribution plan, IRA accounts, Social security payments, Primary Insurance Amount and so on.

You have lot to go through carefully before you make a move. However there is also a some kind of agreement between two countries to avoid double taxation. My two cents contact professionals from both countries before you go any further. All the best!

Thanks so much!!