Sense of humour in Ecuador

Hello everyone,

Should we set out to explore Ecuadorian's culture through its sense of humour? Indeed, if one is planning to settle in the country, it is best to understand the cultural codes governing humour in order to avoid any faux-pas.

What is special about the sense of humour in Ecuador?

Is it acceptable to joke about any situations?

What is typically funny and what is absolutely not funny?

Are there any popular comedians in Ecuador and how would one be able to discover them (stand-up shows, festivals, internet, etc.)?

What is the funniest joke you have heard in Ecuador?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Well, only been here one year but it seems rare when I
see anybody smile.

B.Bindon wrote:

Well, only been here one year but it seems rare when I
see anybody smile.

Sounds wonderful.

Wow, I don't know where the other poster lives in Ecuador, but where I am in Quito, people laugh and smile all the time!
   I watch Enchufe TV, a channel on YouTube to improve my Spanish comprehension, and all of the sketches are quite entertaining. Most of the sketches involve a bit of "raw" humor or a bit of slapstick.

judyh - ditto.  I also live in Quito and really enjoy the ubiquitous laughter and smiles 
With regard to sense of humor, I am still learning since my priority was Espanol.  My sense of humor in the US was one of my hallmarks; very dry and sarcastic with an excellent command of the English language.  I'm not too sure that would fly here.  However, my friend's nephew, who has limited English and jokes in Espanol,  has what I would consider a sense of humor very similar to mine.

Bhavna - hoping to hear back from you as to humor in Ecuador.  I only visited for 2 1/2 weeks so cannot give an answer, but I am sure you would have a lot of information for us!

Hello - I also live in Quito and frequently participate in social activities with the locals.  There is plenty of laughter and joking - wish I could understand it all, but I'm still learning Spanish.  Like in other countries, it's about friends, family, and situations.  You'll like it here. - Cheers