Sending & receiving Packages

I have heard some good and a lot of bad about receiving mail order and simply getting packages delivered in Ecuador. Does anyone have the low down on this?

DHL or nothing. There is no local postal system anymore.

DHL may be "reasonable" ish depending on your country.

The only other option is the mule services, where you sent to an address (usually Miami) and someone brings it in their personal luggage for you.

There are not other ways

user159 wrote:

DHL or nothing. There is no local postal system anymore....

The only other option is the mule services, where you sent to an address (usually Miami) and someone brings it in their personal luggage for you.

There are not other ways

Oh yeah?

What about USPS service Global Express Guarantee which promises delivery to any of 190 countries in one to three days?  Guaranteed.

What about googling global delivery services for more options?

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:
user159 wrote:

There are not other ways

Oh year?

What about USPS service Global Express Guarantee which promises delivery to any of 190 countries in one to three days?  Guaranteed.

cccmedia

I'm not from the US, so maybe that is an option. But have you used? Recently?  1 to 3 days to your door? Guaranteed? Sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about that...

But let me qualify my previous reply. "DHL or similar services, I believe fedex is also an option - but DHL is the cheapest, from Europe and is working as have used it.

Thank you for the response.

Thank you.

user159 wrote:
cccmedia wrote:
user159 wrote:

There are not other ways

Oh year?

cccmedia

I'm not from the US, so maybe that is an option. But have you used? Recently?  1 to 3 days to your door? Guaranteed? Sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about that...

But let me qualify my previous reply. "DHL or similar services, I believe fedex is also an option - but DHL is the cheapest, from Europe and is working as have used it.

I'm not sure who would handle USPS this side, but after the close of Correos, I had a package come through, they are / were still working on a skeleton staff. This was a few months ago. We were lucky as my wife knows the people in the local office after using them for over 10 years and has spoke to people in the aduenas repeatedly over the years so has some contact details for them. It took a long long time, but it did come through. But was told at local office, don't use it anymore, they cannot be sure anything would go through.

DHL works, isn't that bad price was, if you play around with size / weight isn't much more than Correos was (for some countries).

I would be wary of trying anything at this time, that someone hasn't used themselves recently and "just heard" or "just read" it works.

UPS had never delivered any of my bank cards.  They all got turned BACK at Guayaquil.  However, when the actual correos was functioning, I once got a letter delivered to my P.O. box in Vilcabamba.  No banks cards though they were lost.

HelenPivoine wrote:

UPS had never delivered any of my bank cards.  They all got turned BACK at Guayaquil.  However, when the actual correos was functioning, I once got a letter delivered to my P.O. box in Vilcabamba.  No banks cards though they were lost.

Many postal services explicitly say they won't send bank cards IIRC

I got a replacement card from Schwab delivered to my door in Guayaquil via FedEx in about 7 days in November 2020.

There are alternatives to DHL UPS and FedEx. These are logistics / courier / freight forwarder / cargo consolidator businesses. They specialize only in shipping between, say, USA and Ecuador. They are legally registered businesses in both countries.
Examples include LaarCourier, SPUCourier, GlobalBox, Deblex.

I have received document packages from Guayaquil to Los Angeles via DHL, took about 4 days. I did this in November 2019

I used SPUCourier in September 2020 and January 2021. I ordered several items from Amazon and had them shipped to SPU's warehouse in Miami. A week later, the items arrived in Guayaquil. The cost was $10 per pound (fractionally, so 4.7 lbs cost $47) including IVA, shipping charges, etc. Facturas were issued. My order in September took 9 days from ordering on Amazon till it arrived in my hands. In January it took 11 days.

There are also private individuals who will deliver packages informally. I don't have experience with that.

Hi.

I don't know about other cities but here in Loja the postal service re-opened for people to receive mail or parcels.  They cannot send mail/packs or sell stamps.

Is anyone familiar with a company that will send about four boxes or suitcases from the US to Cuenca, Ecuador? I will be relocating with two dogs and am trying to figure a way around the stress of maneuvering airports, the dogs plus a bunch of luggage. I don't have enough stuff to send via a relocation service and all of the shipping to Cuenca services I have seen are for items you purchase online, have sent to them in the US and then they send it to you in Ecuador.

SLBergholt wrote:

Is anyone familiar with a company that will send about four boxes or suitcases from the US to Cuenca, Ecuador? I will be relocating with two dogs and am trying to figure a way around the stress of maneuvering airports, the dogs plus a bunch of luggage. I don't have enough stuff to send via a relocation service and all of the shipping to Cuenca services I have seen are for items you purchase online, have sent to them in the US and then they send it to you in Ecuador.

There is a 4x4 rule in Ecuador for post. You cannot send more than 4kg, nor more than 4 parcels without incurring a cost.

The mule services won't work for that much luggage either, unless I supposed you split it up, but that is going to be very very expensive.

I think you will just have to struggle. There will be porters who will be able to help (probably) and will be much much cheaper than having to send via postal systems. I hate to think what 4 suitcases would cost you DHL

Not exactly the reply I had hoped for but on the other hand, just what I expected. I will just have to be realistic and think "minimalist" when packing. I appreciate your quick reply and honesty. Extremely helpful!   :top:

SLBergholt wrote:

Not exactly the reply I had hoped for but on the other hand, just what I expected. I will just have to be realistic and think "minimalist" when packing. I appreciate your quick reply and honesty. Extremely helpful!   :top:

Not sure where you are flying from, or the cost of a ticket, but I would imagine paying the flight ticket for someone to come with you is going to be cheaper than any postal service to Ecuador.

No idea how it will be on your home end, but Ecuadorians are  a helpful bunch and a smile and a request for help will go along way.

Good luck

SLBergholt wrote:

I am in the process of moving own to Ecuador on a permanent basis, so I am going through the same struggle. You wouldn't believe how much stuff you can accumulate over 45 years of life. So I am being very ruthless about what I take. I have a large book collection, most of which is getting sold off. I sold off my large CD collection, & in the process of selling off my DVD collection too. I build models as a hobby, & am going through my collection to see what I keep, what I donate, & what I can take with me. It is hard. But you have to be ruthless IMHO, in deciding what is best to keep, & what is better to leave behind or sell off. Luckily no pets are involved in my move (though my wife in Ecuador has a cat...)

Damon.

Thank you for the input and I could not agree more! Everything I look at I'm asking myself will I need this or use this in my new life in Ecuador. Actually, the more stuff I get rid of the less stress I have. it is amazing what we can accumulate throughout the years, isn't it?

Dagretto wrote:

. I have a large book collection, most of which is getting sold off. I sold off my large CD collection, & in the process of selling off my DVD collection too.

Not a lot to do with the books unless you're willing to pay postage.
The DVDs are easy. I converted all mine to AVI files and bunged them on a hard drive (with a clone just to be sure I didn't lose any).
Then sell the disks.

The trouble with usps is where do they deliver the mail to with no addresses?

What I have done 3 times on eBay is search for items Offering The Global shipping program. They come by DHL - which works like Forest Gumps proverbial box of chocolates, eg. You never know what you are going to get.

But it often works well at low cost. For example I just bought my 3rd laptop, DHL quoted $279, but The Global Shipping Program charged $40, and they came to Puerto López vía Serientaga. But they come to Ecuador via DHL.

Trouble is, very few Offer that delivery option. They usually Offer USPS, accept the deal and then cancel it and refund the money. Trouble for Seller and Buyer. When we had a Post Offiice a few years back they stole ALL my parcels, and I had a Post Office Box. 

I had an International drivers license sent to Manta via DHL. They sent it to Machala, 13 hours one way by bus. And would not redirect to Manta.

B.Bindon wrote:

The trouble with usps is where do they deliver the mail to with no addresses?...

I had an International drivers license sent to Manta via DHL. They sent it to Machala, 13 hours one way by bus. And would not redirect to Manta.

Excuse me, Mr. Bindon, I had trouble stopping the laughter
after reading about the Machala "delivery." :lol:

----

USPS, the USA postal service, cannot deliver in South America.  Anything sent to this continent via USPS would have to be handed off to Correos del Ecuador or another agency such as Correos may designate.

If you have no address over there on the coast, find your closest Correos del Ecuador .. and arrange to go there to pick up whatever mail or packages you may be planning to receive.

If postal service has been interrupted due to the pandemic, network around via whatever agencies you can find (start with 'la policía'?) to figure out what you can.

Use the search function at this forum's welcome page to find threads from the recent past in which a decent shipping option (or two) may have been recommended.  Realize that older posts may be out of date due to the realities of the covid era.

There are Amazon-type delivery services to receive packages in Ecuador, although you may need to provide a home address to make that option work.  www.mercadolibre.com.ec

cccmedia

If all else fails, arrange your life so that you can survive without a post office or a home address.

It's easier than during la previa época because life is more digital and so much can be done online.

It has been well over a year since I ordered a package to be delivered to my Quito condo (which has an address).;)  That delivery involved a shipment of Flents ear stopples not available in Ecuador and a nasty tariff that I had to pay in person at a banco.

cccmedia

USA expats, we are required to demonstrate proof of life every two years in order to keep Social Security payments flowing.

Endeavor to download the proof-of-life form.  Poor or even non-existent postal service in Ecuador is insufficient reason to delay somehow getting the completed form to SSA.

---

The number of the proof-of-life form is not as easily googled as I had hoped.  If necessary, contact your national embassy in Quito for assistance, Federal Benefits Unit for USA Expats.  (I see that Mr. Bindon is Canadian.)

In past years, the SSA form had to be filled out and returned to an address in Maryland or Pennsylvania.

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:

USA expats, we are required to demonstrate proof of life every two years in order to keep Social Security payments flowing.

Curious, but I assume we would have to do this even if we are not eligible for SSN payments? I'm only 45 & far from retirement age, but I am planning on emmigrating to Ecuador soon to live with my Ecuadorian wife.

Damon.

As far as I know, proof of life is necessary every two years for those living in foreign countries and receiving USA government benefits such as SSA.  Some file the form on odd-numbered years, some on even years.  I do not have information that this form is required for those not receiving benefits.  I do not see what detriment would ensue if the form was not filed by a non-beneficiary.

Naturally, if you have income more than about ten thousand US, as a USA citizen you are required to file an annual federal tax return.  Check at www.irs.gov to confirm minimum-income limits for filing.  The limits may change annually.  USA citizens are subject to the filing requirements even if most of their income is derived outside USA states and territories.

cccmedia

I have successfully googled and viewed the "proof of life" form, which is form 7162 of the Social Security Administration.

It has historically been mailed to Expats in alternate years around May or June.

cccmedia

According to American Citizens Abroad - the requirement to submit form SSA 1762 has been suspended.  The following is from their website.

As noted in our email of December 14, given the recent pandemic and disruptions in mail service, Social Security has suspended mailings of these forms but this will not affect receipt of Social Security benefits. See excerpt from the Social Security website posting here (reproduced below): https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/index.html? … e9f6f9df31

NOTICE REGARDING FORMS SSA-7161 AND SSA-7162
BECAUSE OF POSTAL SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS AROUND THE WORLD DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION HAS SUSPENDED MAILING THESE FORMS. SSA WILL NOT SUSPEND YOUR BENEFITS IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED AND RETURNED THE FORMS IN 2020. SSA WILL RESUME MAILING THE FORMS AT A LATER DATE WHEN CONDITIONS HAVE CHANGED.

Did they not Close the Post Office permanently, thought that was on the News?

Michael-2018 wrote:

According to American Citizens Abroad - the requirement to submit form SSA 1762 has been suspended.  The following is from their website.

As noted in our email of December 14, given the recent pandemic and disruptions in mail service, Social Security has suspended mailings of these forms but this will not affect receipt of Social Security benefits. See excerpt from the Social Security website posting here (reproduced below): https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/index.html? … f9df31....

SSA WILL RESUME MAILING THE FORMS AT A LATER DATE WHEN CONDITIONS HAVE CHANGED.

Great job, Michael. :top:  Finding and posting that Form 1762 (or 1761), proof of life, does not have to be completed and sent until further notice .. saves Expats time and trouble.

Also good news for Expats that their essential income from SSA remains uninterrupted. :)

--

A tip for future posts... For important information, type using bolding -- click on the big B in the bar above the posting rectangle -- instead of typing in ALL CAPS.  It keeps order on the forum.

cccmedia

B.Bindon wrote:

Did they not Close the Post Office permanently, thought that was on the News...

C'mon, Mr. Bindon.  Lotsa stuff is on the news.

You know by now that in Ecuador, nothing is permanent.  (Except, of course, the ongoing turmoil in the national government.) ;)

cccmedia

Can i ask you? whether you're going to have to  recieve a package did you pay 5000 riyal to get it... The sender pay all the shipping fees... Package for new york the receiver is from saudi

Seems you have lots to say. On the lighter side, anyone's who dies from a Drug overdose sitting on a toilet is any hero of mine.

Depends on how it arrives. Mine were all paid In advance, and I still pay anywhere from $28 to $50 to DHL, And $20 to UPS, but UPS brought it to my door in Puerto Lopez, while with DHL I have to go to Manta.

And, it looks like the Post Office won't be back.

Hi! I just wanted to warn everybody that if you buy a couple of DVDs from Amazon and have them delivered to Ecuador via DHL, you might be hit with ridiculous DHL "handling fees". That's what happened to me when I ordered three Blu-rays.

It's a lot better to have your items delivered to Miami and use a courier service to have them re-shipped to Ecuador. What we Ecuadorians do is just to wait until a friend or a friend of a friend is going to travel from the US to Ecuador and ask them (or pay them) to bring our purchases.

There are a number of courier services as well. I keep seeing them show up in my Facebook. I'm looking into using them for some of my hobby needs (I build models, & aftermarket parts would be hard to get in Ecuador without a courier from the US).

Damon.

I live in Canada. I sent a package via postal office. It took 10 days to arrive in Ecuador, and the parcel has been sitting at the postal office in Quito for over a month. After 3 weeks upon arrival, the parcel was sent to the custom office on July 22, and since then there are no updates. I have called and I get the message that no one can answer the phone and to call back.
There is DHL service from Canada to Ecuador, but only for a letter, they charge $500. I can't imagine how much they would charge for a 10 pound parcel.
Ecuador is my home country, but it seems that it hasn't changed much in 30 years that I haven't lived there. No reliability in services provided.
@ Paulina Elizabeth  For some time now there has been no postal service in Ecuador, maybe 1.5 - 2 years.  Only couriers.. FedEx does service Ecuador.
Rules for getting stuff sent to Ecuador.

1.  Only arrange for essential or extremely
important stuff to be sent.

2.  Tell friends and family who might otherwise
send you stuff .. to hold off under the
present circumstances.

3.  Never order food products.  My one-time
lack of knowledge about this ended up
costing me $1,800 in fines, legal fees,
shipping and returning costs, etc. for
a single consolidated package .. which I
never received.

4. Stock up on Flents Ear Stopples and other
excellent small products on your occasional
trips back to your original country.

5.  Buy computers and electronics in
Ecuador or Colombia so you have a
workable warranty .. parts availability ..
and no hassles with Aduanas/SENAE.

cccmedia

Postal Service returns to Ecuador!!

…delivery services restarted on August 17 in Quito and Guayaquil, albeit without tracking available, under the name “Servicios Postales del Ecuador”(replacing the old Corrreos del Ecuador which went defunct, a victim of government cutbacks, four years ago) and “will emphasize international parcel delivery to and from 18 countries;”

-Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chili, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, the U.S., France, Britain, the Netherlands, Ireland, Italy, Mexico and Panama.

“Servicios Postales will expand to Cuenca, Tena and Latacunga in October or November and to other cities by early 2023” (using existing Corrreos del Ecuador facilities)

Fingers crossed this will get off the ground and sustain itself! Any expectations about efficiency and importation duty inspections?

Ref: cuencahighlife dot com