Loja vs Cuenca

I spent two months in Loja, a month in Vilcabamba and now am in Cuenca. The three places all have attractions but Loja impresses me most. I'm about to start the professional visa process. I would like to hear the cons of retiring in Loja or a comparison from folks who have lived in both Loja and Cuenca.

Loja is smaller and less expats but better weather than cuenca IMO.

If you want to be part of an ex pat community and / or don't speak spanish, then maybe cuenca is better tbh

Please indicate your pro's and con's about Vilcabamba.

Vilcabamba Pro's

-- For Expats with minimal Spanish upon arrival,

Vilca has the highest percentage of Gringos and

English-speakers of any city or town in Ecuador.

-- Amazing soil is credited for longevity of human

lifespans .. and world-class fruits and vegetables.

Vilca Cons....

-- Small population means not all amenities are

available.  Good luck finding a supermarket and

a gasoline fill-up station.

-- Some of the natives may resent the

Gringo-nization of the town and the willingness

of new arrivals to pay more than is necessary

for property, goods and services.

-- Top health services and supermarkets may

be an hour's bus ride up the road, in Loja.

-- The frequent rainfall that keeps the valley

so green may frustrate newcomers who would

prefer sunny weather at all times.

cccmedia

Vilca Cons....

[...]

cccmedia
-@cccmedia

Don't forget that Vilca, at least from my observations, has to have the highest incidence of mental illness of anyplace in Ecuador.  Can't tell you how many times I see someone yelling at imaginary people in the park or stopping you to explain how the government or "they" have put nanobots in the water to control our thoughts.  Or explaining how 5g and vaccines are actually part of a plot to kill everyone and we'll all be dead in two years (that particular craziness was over two years ago, btw and appeared to be believed by over half of the expats I spoke with).  Or asking if you saw the aliens last night.  Happens at least once and usually multiple times everytime I go there for a day trip.  Not sure why, but the expats that settle in Vilcabamba seem to have a much higher likelihood of having schizophrenia or other delusional disorders.  With only about 4k residents in the Vilca region, it's absurdly high.

@antialiased Your post makes me wonder if the Ecuadorian government has mental hospitals that care for Ecuadorians, especially indigent Ecuadorians.  I wonder if it's different here in Ecuador from back in the Reagan days when mental hospitals were emptied and closed and the mentally ill were left to their own devices as to how to survive on American streets and highways and byways. . . .

On an obscure "guide" section of this site,

Heather Jean DeFord asks what's the best way

to find an apartment in Loja or Vilcabamba

(which are about an hour apart from each

other).

---

First, decide which city you want to live in.

Loja is much larger and has more

healthcare choices. Vilca has a high percentage

of Expats, possibly the highest per capita

in Ecuador.

Then, focus on the chosen municipality.

Forget about long-term rentals posted on

the Internet, unless money is no object.

Do a boots-on-the-ground walk in a

neighborhood you like, looking for

signs saying Aquilo or Arrendar posted

in windows where apartments are

available.

Security guards may be in-the-know

about available apartments .. and you

offering a modest tip for them to

call you, resulting in an actual rental,

may be a wise incentive.

If there is a language barrier, you can

hire a bi-lingual taxi driver if you can

find one .. to drive you around and

assist in communicating.

cccmedia

@hughespmichael6289 I would say the biggest difference is your level of domestication and desire for comfort.  In Cuenca, you can still participate rampantly in capitalism whereas in Loja the opportunity to do so is very limited.  Personally, that is one of the reasons that I love it here so much. I love shopping in the open markets and supporting the locals and to be honest my health has never been better because I don't have as many crappy food options to tempt me. My goal in coming to Southern Ecuador was to wean myself from a capitalist life and work to undomesticate myself as much as possible. I feel like after 3 years, I'm finally there and it feels really good.  The first year was hard because I felt like there were so many things that I needed that I couldn't get and in this time I've realized that I can survive without them.  The only thing that still continues to be a challenge at times is no mail service. Sending or receiving mail can be a real adventure.

I LOVE the weather here much better than in Cuenca and I deeply appreciate the peace, quiet, and solitude. 

In Cuenca you can get away without speaking Spanish yet where I live in Malacatos it's most Spanish speaking so I'm still trying.  As long as you try the people are very patient and loving. Work in Progress!

@cccmedia Just FYI there is now a SUPER Gas Station Plaza in Vilcabamba. Brand New!

@elcirculo090

I've been in Loja for a year and love it. But folks here in north Loja say Malacatos is more relaxing and quieter.

I'm interested in your take on Malacatos. I'm fluent in Spanish, live alone, have a cat, don't have transportation.

A fair number of extranjeros live in Malacatos, although many more live in or near Vilcabamba.  Of course it is quieter than Loja. I live outside of Vilca, and had to go to Loja the other day. The noise almost drove me crazy.

@hughespmichael6289 ive heard only good things about Loja. But as far as Vilca, seems to me the expats that live out that way stay in gated communities for a reason. crime. And then theres the brush fires during dry season. but, ppl must flock down there for a reason. its gorgeous. edge of the world. get plugged in if you go to stay in Vilca and always...always watch your six and plan ahead.

Loja Is a very pretty, smaller, walkable city, warmer, with a great restaurant, arts and entertainment scene, even though you have to look for it a bit… but surprisingly more “cosmopolitan” then similar small cities, aka impersonal, businesslike and corporate culture oriented (lots of local Ecuadoreans looking very stressed, very rushed, but very stylish, very hard-working, very entrepreneurial, in their business suits and dresses).

Going somewhere at a lower elevation will improve the chances of finding a warmer climate. Every valley has a different micro climate, so plenty to choose from depending on whether you prefer dryer or wetter?