Ecuadorian Beef

From time to time I read comments about Ecuadorian beef. IMO it’s delicious, but it’s important to get the right cuts.

A lot of progress has been made the past three years. This industry like so many others has improved a lot. They are aging beef better, and obviously other methods because the quality has improved.

Okay, I’ll give my input and I hope other members will share what they know. The following cuts are my favorite.

Lomo de afuera, this cut costs about $12 a kilogram and it's great for seco de carne, pepper steak, and beef curry. It’s soft, and cooks real fast. Don’t use a pressure cooker with this cut as it will over-cook it. It’s also great for Chinese dishes like beef and broccoli. They mainly use this cut here for asado (bbq). They make slices in it, then season and toss it on the grill.

Served with chimichurri sauce, and a cold beer = perfect bbq.

T-Bone steak – the best is the export quality brand (cortes especial), you can identify it by the vacuum sealed packaging that has an image of a calf. It costs a bit more than ordinary T-bone but well worth the price. Juicy and delicious.

Lomo Fino, this is the tenderloin and just try it, I forgot what it costs but I think under $20 a kilogram.

Cola Res (oxtail), absolutely delicious but needs a pressure cooker.

La Espanola is the definitely the best meat shop I've found in Guayaquil.  When I went in the first time, I was thrilled!! These people are serious. Prices are competitive with Megamaxi, but much better quality and an enormous selection.

I shop at this one: ALBORADA. 9NA ETAPA. ISIDRO AYORA y BENJAMÍN CARRIÓN.

I get that taste is personal and subjective. But I find Ecuadorian beef to be more flavorful and interesting than Choice cuts found in supermarkets in eastern USA.

I'm a fan of the TomaHawk!

Vsimple,
I agree with your comment, the meat in Ecuador has progressively getting better.
I'd like to add to the list, a cut  I found exquisite and most adequate for BBQ. "PICAñA", it comes with a bit of the "skin" attached to it, which allows to BBQ the entire piece while keeping the "juice/flavour" in the meat while cooking it. Price is lower than "LOMO FINO"
Cover the meat with all the spices you like prior to placing it in the BBQ with the "skin" exposed to the flame. leave it until tender, turn it to grill it and seal the flavour for few minutes. slice a piece to check cooking state, from this point you can continue slicing it to satisfy each taste, as thin or as thick as you like, from rare to medium, or if you prefer  well done, leaving them to cook for a while longer.
Bon Apetite!
MM

VSimple,

Thank you for the information!

Can this beef be found in Loja? or where you live?  Is that Cuenca?

Thanks,
Robin

I don't see why not because Loja also has Super Maxi supermarket.

Rodaja res

I’ve been living off this cut this past week. It’s absolutely delicious and I use it for stews. You can easily tell how it looks like because it consists of a large bone with bone marrow in the middle and meat all around it. At super-maxi/mega-maxi it should be near cola res (oxtail). It’s also one of the cheapest cuts and costs about $4 a kilogram. 1 kg of meat on the bone is 4 servings.

To cook this cut, use a pressure cooker like an instant pot for 1 hour at high pressure and let it naturally release. Add (together with meat) some small potatoes, carrots, and your favorite spices and eat this dish with a French baguette.

Perfect!

It looks like this.

Dear Vsimple,

Thanks, that looks really good! I'll look for it when we come back to Ecu in November - in Loja!  I'll bring a pressure cooker back, too!

Have a great day!

Robin

Anyone tried the local beef tongue? Is it delicious, or is it delicious? They cost about $10 each and easy to cook with instant-pot. Put tongue in, add water, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, carrot and set for 90 minutes.

Eat with French bread and generous amount of mayo. The tongues are actually big, so I ate it over a couple of days and shared a lot of it with my neighbor’s dog.

It is  delicious!, I prefer it with rice.
Note.- For the new comers willing to try it: You must remove "the skin" (top layer) first.  Best way to do it, boiling it with salt for few minutes, after that you can cook it adding the spices to your taste.
MM

Ahh, like a seco or estafado. Yes, it’s delicious that way too, as I’ve eaten it with rice a few times for almuerzo.

Thanks for the tip on removing outer layer. With the way I cook it in the pressure cooker, it’s not necessary as it comes out easily after it cooks. But that way is probably suitable for estafados.

You can find many recipes for different types of estofado or stew:

https://www.google.com/search?q=estofad … p;ie=UTF-8

The same word estofado is also used by Filipinos, which I would assume is from the Spanish influence - but with some different ingredients in some cases including bananas.

Be careful - the word estafado means swindled, duped or deceived - it's the past tense of the verb estafar.  A swindler or a con man is an estafador or an estafadora if of the female persuasion.